LegacyGT.com

Audio upgrade advice, particularly JL Cleansweep

cmraman

I have read through alot of threads. I want iPod intergration, and you all have great ideas. I was thinking of a Cleansweep to retain the looks of OEM radio. I would like to hear from msmith on his opinions. I was thinking of putting in a cleansweep and and amp for now then upgrading speakers and eventually JL Stealthbox when I can. I would love your thoughts on what amp to run. I have the subwoofer that was installed by the dealer in the car now. I also have a bazooka tube and a small amp that I might run in the meantime. I would also like people who have real world experience with the Cleansweep and get their opinions on how they like it. Your help would be very much appreciated. I'm looking for overall good clean sound quality and a little more power. I like good bass with out that ghetto thump that you hear. I would also like to get ideas of brand of door speakers for upgrading. Thanks for you help in advance. Keep in mind budget is a concern and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

Rob

I did 3 days ago. Still waiting for responce. But I am also looking for opinions from actual owners.

I don't think I got your e-mail. My spam filter may have buried it.

The Cleansweep is of no use unless you replace the stock speakers AND add an amplifier. It will actually make the stock speakers sound worse (I know that seems difficult to believe, but it's true).:lol:

What are your system goals? Functionally and sonically.

What is your budget?

Based on the above, I can make some recommendations for you.

I don't think I got your e-mail. My spam filter may have buried it.

The Cleansweep is of no use unless you replace the stock speakers AND add an amplifier. It will actually make the stock speakers sound worse (I know that seems difficult to believe, but it's true).:lol:

What are your system goals? Functionally and sonically.

What is your budget?

Based on the above, I can make some recommendations for you.

I want iPod intergration. I want good clean sound. The stock system sounds good now. I just want more power. I want to upgrade door speakers(frnt). I know that I would have to add an amp. I'm not sure of budget yet. I have an idea of some of the component prices though. if you want to PM me I could give you more detailed info.

I've had my CS installed for two years now. It's great for what it is, but it does have some frustrating limitations, as does any device that offers similiar functionality.

- I hate the additional volume knob. It looks stupid since the whole point is to maintain a stock appearance, and the JL knob is looks and feels cheap. My first one was defective, but Manville got a replacement out to me ASAP.

- You do get aux in, but you don't get iPod integration. You get a plain old aux in that you can get from the Jazzy mod, or other kits guys on the board have come up with.

- I have a sat radio in the cubby. I almost never listen to the stock radio or CD player, so the CS is basically a glorified volume knob. Since I already have one of those, this drives me crazy (see above).

- The CS offers no tone controls. So if want anything other than flat response, you'd need to do that with an external EQ or something.

If you use the stock radio a lot, I'd say it's worth it. The CS does a good job at correcting the response, and it's been reliable for me.

msmith

What do you recommend for ipod intergration only? That is basically all I want I would also like to play dvd's through the nav unit but I could do this with same red/white audio inputs given with the clean sweep. that is the way I was thinking of going but I do hate the volume knob etc... Maybe dealing with the blank CD isn't that bad but it seems that the blank CD would also have bad sound.

I like the idea of wiring in like the jazzy mod but using the channel for sat radio or whatever it is called where the am, fm, & cd button would have a 4th input from the driver to kick on the aux input. Please advise.

TIA,

Anthony

Archived