LegacyGT.com

JL Audio CS volume knob placement suggestions

Andreu

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished up most of my system this week. I put the CS knob and a separate volume knob for my sub amp to the right of the shifter (it's an AT). I wanted it to look more factory-ish so I made a bracket under the bezel and mounted the knobs from underneath so you only see the tops of the knobs. The trick was cutting the holes to just the right size without messing up the top of the bezel. I have a couple tapered drill bits that I used for this task.

Matt

100_0732.thumb.jpg.003e1580b915080017abeefb2c459f50.jpg

Piece of cake...the only downside is that it blocks one section of the illumination for the heated seat control on the driver side...but not something that I have even noticed at all...if you are careful it fits right in perfectly...I have the CS under the passenger seat so all wires are easy to run...!

I had a shop do all the work so I don't have a run through with pics...but my first choice was to put it near the shifter like some of the pics and they suggested this route and i am so glad i did it as it is so easy to fiddle with the volume on the fly without any extra movement!

J

I guess I stand corrected by Mr. Simon Cowell here...

To add to the post above to clarify for some...

I was not charged anything additional for a difficult CS volume control install and told by my installer that is was an easy alternative to putting it beside the shifter...so in my haste I concluded that is was not difficult.

Although not being expert myself I might have jumped the gun and one might translate that to mean that in fact it is a difficult install to those who are not expert.

But thanks for being constructive in your attempt to clarify things...my apologies for being vague!

Hope that helps...

J

Andreu-

Another thing to consider is you don't really need to use the JL volume knob. The volume on your stock Legacy radio is set to the level for calibration. After that you typically don't use it however it does still work.

My point is once you calibrate the JL Cleensweep you can set the JL volume knob to your MAX listening level and then hide it. From there you can just use your stock radio volume knob instead. Just make sure you don't exceed the volume level that you calibrated the cleensweep to. My stock radio is set to volume 21 which is what a JL rep suggested in the Legacy.

Am I wrong guys?

First off thanks J for clarifying, and good joke.

Second, Superbu, you make a great point, and i do us my stock volume for my cd player. I do however use XM a lot. So buy getting around subarus retarted radio that dosent have an aux in i have to use the cs volume knob for XM. And no your not wrong

Andreu-

Another thing to consider is you don't really need to use the JL volume knob. The volume on your stock Legacy radio is set to the level for calibration. After that you typically don't use it however it does still work.

My point is once you calibrate the JL Cleensweep you can set the JL volume knob to your MAX listening level and then hide it. From there you can just use your stock radio volume knob instead. Just make sure you don't exceed the volume level that you calibrated the cleensweep to. My stock radio is set to volume 21 which is what a JL rep suggested in the Legacy.

Am I wrong guys?

ok..I don't think you are wrong...and I may be wrong..but there is a way to do it as you suggest....but you loose most of the calibration function.... it was in the back of the manual

the suggested way is to use the cs volume knob. I know on my cleansweep if the volume on my stock h/u changes...the cs senses that the input signal has changed...thus the calibration is null...and the cleansweep shuts down until it senses that the input signal is once again correct to the original calibration..I learned this when the guys at the tint shop played ith my radio and turned it down on the h/u. I could not for the life of me figure out why my stereo wuit working. I turned the volume back up to what it was calibrated at and within a minute or two the c.s. came back on and everything was working again.

^^^

Hmm not sure on that one. That's a good point though.

I have had a few occasions where someone such as the dealer has turned the volume down on the stock HU but once I put it back it was fine. I actually drove the car for over a week with the volume turned down to 10 and didn't realize it because the stereo wasn't at a high level. It sounded fine until I attempted to crank it up.

What about mounting it near the windshield wiper heating element switch in one of the other blank buttons? Right beneath the other knob that controls the power mirrors... I think that would look pretty sweet and it's probably what I'm going to do. I'll post pictures when I install it.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I stand corrected by Mr. Simon Cowell here...

To add to the post above to clarify for some...

I was not charged anything additional for a difficult CS volume control install and told by my installer that is was an easy alternative to putting it beside the shifter...so in my haste I concluded that is was not difficult.

Although not being expert myself I might have jumped the gun and one might translate that to mean that in fact it is a difficult install to those who are not expert.

But thanks for being constructive in your attempt to clarify things...my apologies for being vague!

Hope that helps...

J

I would like to appologize. it was easy to install in that blank spot. it took up less then an hour of my time. and looks really nice. thanks alot for the suggestion.

Andreu-

Am I wrong guys?

you can turn it up to 30 stock radio the place I got mine done said that you should not turn it passed 35.:)

• 3 weeks later...

ok...so i was super stoked with my install (on page two) untill last night... someone decided to go on a spree and slim jim their way into at least 30 cars...mine included. had they not seen my knobs, they prolly wouldn't have checked the trunk.

it was the cleanest theft I have ever seen tho... they took the bass knob off, actually unplugged the cable etc. and the wires were all removed neatly.

i woke this am to find my trunk and pass door open..

they snatched the knob, sub, amp, and my 7 yr old video camera )%

point of story...I'm definately going even more stealthy the 2nd time around...

and I cleaned out my garage

• 11 months later...

Archived