LegacyGT.com

So i've only had my car for two days...

I hit some black ice, in my 06 LGT Ltd 5 speed, while turning going about 15-20MPH, and my front passenger tire slammed into the curb pushung my wheel back just before the wheel well. I drove the car about 10ft so it was out of the way and accessable for the tow truck. There was no damage done to the body and the rim and tire look alright. The funny thing I haven't "actually" bought the car yet. (The finance guy said he'd call be when he found the best rate) The car is back at the dealership now and now I have a rental, they won't be able to look at it until tomorrow. My deductable is $500. If anyone has had a similar experiance, did it cost more than $500 when it was all said and done?

No, I got the loan. I'm going in tomorrow to sign. I have really good insurance and enough cash to cover the deductable, so it could be worse. And thankfuly I didn't damage the body at all.

You could be really shady about it and say that you don't want the car anymore, based on how easily it slid off the road. If you haven't signed anything then the damage will be covered by the dealership's insurance and they'll take the car back. Then go to a different dealership to buy another one. I'm not condoning that at all, but that would be the American way. ;-)

Actually, you'd have to sue for emotional damages incurred to really do it right.

If you didn't know and your ride is on the stock potenza tires re -92's, they are crap, especially in the snow....

They're fine. There are only two types of tires that would have prevented this accident, studded and flat. Both impractical to drive on.

ignore him, he'll go away.

They're fine. There are only two types of tires that would have prevented this accident, studded and flat. Both impractical to drive on.

'

I was saying in general the re-92's are no good in the snow, on black ice, not much will slow you down, even on a good snow tire. I went through last winter here in colorado with the re-92's, definitely unpredicatable and scary at times in the snow even at low speeds IMO.

For the first time in my life I bought snow tires this year (General-Artics) and have finally seen their worth. I drove through 5-6"s of snow to get to work today, didn't slide once, it was actually really fun.;) If you live in an area that gets snow consistently I would highly look into getting snow tires IMO. Good luck with your ordeal.

You could be really shady about it and say that you don't want the car anymore, based on how easily it slid off the road. If you haven't signed anything then the damage will be covered by the dealership's insurance and they'll take the car back. Then go to a different dealership to buy another one. I'm not condoning that at all, but that would be the American way. ;-)

Actually, you'd have to sue for emotional damages incurred to really do it right.

Your neck should be hurting about now....you need a shady lawyer...where's kartracerboy when you need him?

It is still ugly.

'

I was saying in general the re-92's are no good in the snow, on black ice, not much will slow you down, even on a good snow tire. I went through last winter here in colorado with the re-92's, definitely unpredicatable and scary at times in the snow even at low speeds IMO.

For the first time in my life I bought snow tires this year (General-Artics) and have finally seen their worth. I drove through 5-6"s of snow to get to work today, didn't slide once, it was actually really fun.;) If you live in an area that gets snow consistently I would highly look into getting snow tires IMO. Good luck with your ordeal.

Fair enough. I dislike the blanket RE-92 poor performance statements.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Alright, Looks like it's going to be a bit more than I thought... $1,200...wheel/tire wheel bearing, axle, and control arm...luckily my work is cool and they're paying for my deductable ( $500 since I was technically running an errand for work) so I'm just going to pay the remaining $700. So I guess it could be worse. Plus I'll have the car back tomorrow.

I think it must have the stock tires on still, since the car has 25K miles and the tred is only about 30% left. I guess some new tires will be my next investment.

No I'm not. I'd rather pay $700 and not have it go on my record. I only pay $70 for full coverage with everything maxed out plus towing and rental car coverage

Alright got my car back and all is well. I checked and it would have been counted against me, even with the circumstances the way they were. Oh well, it's over with now

Sorry to hear that...I suggest you try something that I always do when purchasing a new vehicle, especially in the snow....go to empty parking lot, spend

an hour experiencing how the car behavies in the snow, rain, ice...might be usefull...

Funny thing is I actually did that and it seemed great. The problem was the section of black ice I hit unexpectedly. If it was just powder, like everywhere else that morning, it would have been alright...

Fair enough. I dislike the blanket RE-92 poor performance statements.

In my short experience, I believe the compound they use for the rubber in the stock RE-92s loses elasticity faster in cold weather compared to other all season tires, making it less effective in challenging grip conditions in cold weather. I think the rubber compound is optimized for warm conditions.

Stop bashing the RE-92's im sure that they could put far worse stocks on than them!! I just moved from Florida to montana and have used them in 3inches of rain to 10inches of snow, 2degrees to 90degrees no problems just be careful and look where your going and you should be fine. What do ya expect subaru to do?? Give you a set for summer and a set for winter?? (sounds good acctually)

What do ya expect subaru to do?? Give you a set for summer and a set for winter?? (sounds good acctually)

:) Now there's a marketing concept!

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Stop bashing the RE-92's im sure that they could put far worse stocks on than them!! I just moved from Florida to montana and have used them in 3inches of rain to 10inches of snow, 2degrees to 90degrees no problems just be careful and look where your going and you should be fine. What do ya expect subaru to do?? Give you a set for summer and a set for winter?? (sounds good acctually)

There is no such thing as a perfect all-season tire by definition; and Subaru has leaned toward warm-weather, performance, IMHO, for their stock all-seasons, instead of better grip, shorter life and sub-optimal warm weather performance. Nothing wrong with their decision.

Archived