LegacyGT.com

Giving the old brake fluid a "brake"

It's about that time-I'm at 28K as we speak and going on a road trip in a weekend (Mt. Bohemia snowboarding in the U.P. of Michigan). Before hand I wanted to do some maintenance and brakes a a part of that.

I've heard good things about the Motul Dot 4 brake fluid and I wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck with it.

I'm also looking into stainless steel lines, but I haven't had a chance to look into our braking system yet. Are the lines mostly rubber stock? Even if that is the case, will I still see improvements in pedal pressure with the lines? Are the lines worth it?

Any help is appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
It's about that time-I'm at 28K as we speak and going on a road trip in a weekend (Mt. Bohemia snowboarding in the U.P. of Michigan). Before hand I wanted to do some maintenance and brakes a a part of that.

I've heard good things about the Motul Dot 4 brake fluid and I wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck with it.

I'm also looking into stainless steel lines, but I haven't had a chance to look into our braking system yet. Are the lines mostly rubber stock? Even if that is the case, will I still see improvements in pedal pressure with the lines? Are the lines worth it?

Any help is appreciated!

Nice title dumbass :spin:, oh wait, that was me :eek:!

From what I hear from my local Subie dealer (who actually isn't that reliable), said that the lines are steel except for the last 24" or so... To me this means that stainless steel lines are worth it. Now to find where to buy them from...

I also hear that I should stay away from synthetic brake fluids as it would require a change of all rubber components. I'm pretty sure the Motul Dot 4 is non synthetic (Dot 5 is synthetic, right?)

Writeup needed for brake bleeding... Maybe I'll take the time to do it.

To answer your question about the stainless brake lines so that you don't have read a million threads, yes they are completely worth it. I got a set of Goodridge lines from JSC Speed (vendor here, PM them or call) at a really good deal. Get new brake fluid as well from them, I use Motul RBF600, you'll need 2-3 bottles for a full flush and bleed.

You will also need a flare nut wrench for the brake hard line connections: Craftsman 5 pc. Wrench Set, Nut Metric

Sears item# 00942013000 Mfr. model# 42013 $35 If you use another regular open wrench, you run the risk of rounding off the nuts.

I also ordered Russell speedbleeders (replace the caliper bleed screws) so that it's easy to bleed/replace the brake fluid. http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed/import.shtml

Which one's to get: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24165

It's not a bad job, just takes a few hours and is kind of messy with the brake fluid everywhere. Totally worth the effort though.

Archived