LegacyGT.com

NASCAR vs. Australian V8 Supercar Race

Colonel Angus

i'm sorry, but NASCAR is incredibly boring. most of the time they're racing in a cirle...big deal. sure, there are crashes, sure they are hauling the mail, but the lack of challenging chicanes, highspeed/low speed turns...basically challenges that require a highly skilled driver to negociate the course doesn't appeal to me. v8 supercar racing, however, well at least to me, seems more exciting. like the race i watched on speed today. the course had this sweet ass straightaway that you can really open up on, a combo of high and low speed turns, and a chiccane or two, it makes for some interesting racing. those holdens are just badass.

now, aside from the speed, and the crashes, i really cant find anything appealing aboot NASCAR. on the other side of the argument, the same could be said about something like F1. while it's true that it hasnt been as thrilling as it has in the past, due to schumi's dominance in the field, and the lack of challenges from competing drivers, the high speeds, and the challenging layouts of the courses feel more appealing to me. i also love how those F1 race cars can just take off like stink. sadly, the average audience doesnt care to look at the sport from that angle. i guess us americans are just naturallly attracted to bland, boring things, eh? which is probably one of the reasons why we get screwed on some of the awesome features we miss out on our cars when the US version is released to us.:(

Love WRC but it seems that the WRC coverage is at the weirdest times/days, unless you want to watch re-runs when you know who's already won/placed. And no desire to impugn Kenda's choices in autosport, I absolutely groaned when I heard that Fox was buying Speed Channel and that MORE NASalCARbage this or that was going to be offered. Unfortunately, NC is now on basically 24/7 to the exclusion of almost everything else. If it's that big in the U.S., then let it have its own channel (and I heard that this was coming or already is). Let's hope so.

I agree with CA that the V8 Supercar races down under are fun to watch and F1, in spite of Schumacher's dominance, is still worth a watch. Would love to attend an actual F1 race, but I'm not sure I could take all the high RPM "shrill" for a whole session without some major ear protection.

SBT - longing for the "old school" Speed Channel

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The V-8 supercars are great. Tons of close racing, lots of beating and banging. I almost think that they could make Nascar like that too, if they lightened the cars up a few hundred pounds, gave them a little bigger brake and tire. Oh, and a five- or six-speed transmission wouldn't hurt either on the road course instead of a freakin' 4-speed.

Essentially, Nascar Cup cars are overweight and undertired. So you actually have to be rather smooth to be fast, because it's easy to overdrive them. Giving them more tire and less weight would make them faster, but it could also encourage them to drive a little more aggressively too, as there would be some recovery power from the tires in the event that they overstepped the traction a bit.

NASCAR bores me to tears. The V8 Supercars is fun to watch like mensioned. close, lots of rubbing etc. WRC and F1 absolutely rock. WRC just the balls to drive 120mph along a narrow road with a rock face one side and a 100' drop the other or down a snow trail on ice etc.. F1, well it is just amazing how fast these cars accelerate, brake, corner etc.

Other race series I like to watch is the Speed World Challenge races. I am not sure of exact name of the two series. but one class is like 3 series, Sentra, TSX etc. then the GT class would have the CTS-V, Viper, Vettes, 911 etc

Has anyone ever seen those speed boat races, not the straight line drags those ones where they weave in and out of this short maze/obsticle course? How the heck do those things turn so good on water? :D

That's another Aussie creation... oh crap, what's it called...

Oh yeah, JetSprint racing. They're Jet boats (meaning, the propulsion system is a Jet like on a Jet ski or waverunner, not a prop, so the entire jet portion is what turns and makes the boat turn).

It's like an autocross in a boat. ;)

http://www.jetsprint.org/main.htm

That's another Aussie creation... oh crap, what's it called...

Oh yeah, JetSprint racing. They're Jet boats (meaning, the propulsion system is a Jet like on a Jet ski or waverunner, not a prop, so the entire jet portion is what turns and makes the boat turn).

It's like an autocross in a boat. ;)

http://www.jetsprint.org/main.htm

Ahh, thought it might of been an Aussie or Kiwi creation but didnt want to say incase it wasnt and got flamed by some unhappy campers :p Yeah, I knew they were Jet propelled, but still amazing how well they control them at the speed they reach. They run like 500hp V8's or something correct?

AMEN ! Formula One rules. I have always considered that the

american public is thrilled by the 40 or so changes of position

that occur in the field over the course of 200 laps or whatever in Nascar, IRL ...and that they do not understand the physics, the performance and the skill needed to do a typical F1 overtaking. That is not to say that running 2 or even 3 wide on an oval is easy...and that it does not involve nerves of steel. I was there at Indianapolis when Michael pulled one on David Coulthard on his way to victory...I was in Montreal when he ruled on Montoya in 2002 well it doesn't matter...after 8 races or so I attended in person and 15 seasons watched on TV...Formula Oner is indeed the elite motor racing.

People complain about Michael winning every time. You should be thankful that you had an opportunity in your life to see such an unique talent ! And such unque engineering achievements from a team that 10 years ago was the joke of the pitlane.

Anyways...WRC coverage on SPEED is dismal. It is as exciting as F1...and certainly those guys can drive. And the cars...oh...the cars...And as dismal is the coverage of DTM - a favorite of mein from my years in the Old World (only during Motorsport Mondial). I think over the years they had a dedicated OZ v-8 championship program. But with FOX SN. having a controling share...they have to show NASCAR...The North American TourenWagen Meistershaft.

I wonder how the typical american identifies himself with NASCAR and its technology. The Pontiacs, the Tauruses, the

Intrepids...are not the ones you buy off showroom shelves. Hell, even those ones are more technologically advanced than the carburator engined V-8s. There's hardly anything (but then I may be an ignorant Euro Trash...) that relates those cars to the street models. Just the name. On the other hand...as an Euro boy...I can pick up the same Subaru, Citroen, Renault, Peugeot, Audi, Mertz, Opel, Alfa-Romeo, Bimmer, Vauxhal, Volvo and whatever else I see in WRC, DTM, BTCC, etc over the years. Or a Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore if I lived in OZ. Damn...it's even the same engine...and same body style. So can anyone answer my question ? How does a typical american identify himself with Nascar technology and how does it affect his choice of a daily drive ?

On the bright side...SPEED Channel has covered DAKAR RALLY pretty well in the past...so only 3 days till the 2005 edition.

Maybe we do a national Suby LGT meeting at Indianapolis in May and June for the 500 and the Formula One ???

f1anatic - where Michael Schumacher's ass ends, my head begins

That never ceases to amaze me. They just sling-shot out from the corners. And the onboard cameras look as if they're running sped up. :cool:

You could say they corner as if they were on rails.

Well that could be a thing of the past with all this fiddling with the tech regs. And the thing I hate most is the fact that they'll be running V-8s in a year or two. I mean come on...You can cut engine power some other way...I would have been more receptive to a change in displacement to 2.5 rather than a change in cylinders as well.

Any of you into Grand Prix 4 - the F1 PC simulator ?

Ahh, thought it might of been an Aussie or Kiwi creation but didnt want to say incase it wasnt and got flamed by some unhappy campers :p Yeah, I knew they were Jet propelled, but still amazing how well they control them at the speed they reach. They run like 500hp V8's or something correct?
Yes, another Kiwi invention, here's the link to the history for anyone interested: http://www.hamjet.co.nz//index.cfm/The_Hamilton_Waterjet/Waterjet_History

*edit* It's a real shame we don't get the annual Bathurst 1000 on the box here in the US, it's a 1,000 km V8 Supercar race around an amazing circuit for those who are unfamiliar.

Speed Channel is showing a 2hr highlight package of the Bathurst 1000 next thursday (Jan, 6th, 2005) starting 12 noon... Bathurst has to be one of the best road courses in the world. You can drive on it with your own car but must obey speed limits, still an awesome drive at the speed limits as you experiance the grades of the hills etc. I have had the pleasure of some faster laps around Mt Panorama with the WRX club on a closed track day. Was awesome!

The V8 Supercar Series here in Oz is made and I have to say that the cars are so close, like .500 of a second can truely cover the top 15 cars, its that good. Next year the Series will also go to China including New Zealand and Australia so the Series is certainly spreading its wings. A Series race in the US of A in the future wouldnt be out of the question.

Adam.

I think the WRC really has to steep up and I think if Bernie E and David R sit down and work out where they can fit WRC in with F1, 500's, what a world showing that would be. Global Coverage is the key to these Forumula's. Why fight eachother for TV and Paper coverage, do them all at the same time. Consolidation of costs.....

1. Bernie and Richard WIN

2. Sponsors WIN

3. Categories WIN

4. We the viewers WIN.

Adam.

Speed Channel is showing a 2hr highlight package of the Bathurst 1000 next thursday (Jan, 6th, 2005) starting 12 noon... Bathurst has to be one of the best road courses in the world. You can drive on it with your own car but must obey speed limits, still an awesome drive at the speed limits as you experiance the grades of the hills etc. I have had the pleasure of some faster laps around Mt Panorama with the WRX club on a closed track day. Was awesome!

You lucky bastard! And thanks for the Speed Channel info.

As much as I am a huge fan of NASCAR, I watch and read as much as I can on motorsports. Anything from NHRA to WRC to F1 to IRL to Auto-Cross. The WRC definitely needs more coverage here in the US.

Don't get me wrong. I respect the drivers for there concertration driving 200mph steady like that etc. It takes great skill. I also respect the crew involved in building the car. Building an engine to scream near or around redline for that long is awesome. The aerodynamics of the car and tuning of suspenion all amazing. I just dislike it as I find it boring to watch. Obviously many including yourself do not find it boring as it is obviously very popular. Like I mensioned previously I think it is popular enough for Speed Channel to form 2 channels. One for NASCAR and one for other motorsports.

Don't get me wrong. I respect the drivers for there concertration driving 200mph steady like that etc. It takes great skill. I also respect the crew involved in building the car. Building an engine to scream near or around redline for that long is awesome. The aerodynamics of the car and tuning of suspenion all amazing. I just dislike it as I find it boring to watch. Obviously many including yourself do not find it boring as it is obviously very popular. Like I mensioned previously I think it is popular enough for Speed Channel to form 2 channels. One for NASCAR and one for other motorsports.

...or another motor channel to come aboot that isnt owned by fox, and have F1, WRC and Aussie V8 Supercar coverage to be signed on there.

Speed Channel here needs to become two Channels one for that thing called NASCAR and the other for real motorsports :)

Speed channel just needs to change their name to the NASCAR channel. That's 90% of what they program anyway. Might as well wish that MTV and VH1 will change thier names to refect their LACK of music programming...

It would be nice if a new motorsports channel were to come into being. One that covers ALL forms of motorsports (motorcycle, car, truck, on/off road, powerboat/jetboat, etc, etc.)

There is always FUEL channel...part of DirecTV programming but not a package that I have. It is right after SPEED (607) a few channels more. But I am not sure what kind of programming they have.

There used to be a MUCH MUSIC channnel from Toronto, Canada. Did they change names ? Or did DirecTV drop them from their list?

Archived