LegacyGT.com

C|Net Reviews the 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Limited

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2008-subaru-legacy-3/4505-10865_7-32418955.html?tag=box

Product summary

The good: With its all-wheel-drive system and column-mounted paddle shifters, the 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Limited handles twisting mountain roads at speed, while also proving a comfortable ride in traffic.

The bad: Cabin tech is mediocre, with an average-sounding stereo and a disc changer that doesn't display ID3 information from MP3 CDs.

The bottom line: The 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Limited makes for a good car in a variety of driving conditions, but its cabin tech tops out at a decent navigation system, with only a passable stereo.

I thought it was fair.

Lets be honest, the interiors of Subies and the paint quality does need addressing. Stereo does suck eggs also.

Fair? Maybe part of the evaluation of the stereo (Yup, no ID3 tags displayed and Sirius song names don't scroll...like I take the time to look at it while I'm driving anyway...Oh, and, because the antenna is internally mounted, you can change the satellite service without having to paint your car...) As for the road evaluation, I can only assume his propeller beanie must have been caught in the moon roof, because, who in their right mind would charge into the twisties with it in "D"?. Column mounted paddles are nicer than wheel mounted, but, I still opt to use the stick as you can miss a paddle with aggressive, two handed driving (paddles are side mounted and if your hands are at 12 and 6 in a sharp corner and you need a gear....sux 2 B U). :eek: Where was the mention of "Rev-matching" downshifting, or the mention of the ability to shift it with the stick if you prefer? Hmm...probably couldn't figure that out.

Paint quality is, on average, well, average. My wife drives a Honda and just test drove a used Acura TL. Both the Honda and the TL have just as many chips in their hoods as any other car I've seen, including my Scoobies. She even remarked the car felt "looser" than my 3.0, and it was certainly louder, while not significantly faster, but did like the memory seats (which will be added to the Subie lineup...look in the 2008 manual under power seats and they talk about how to use the memory seat function "if equipped").

The C/Net techno-dweeb obviously doesn't know Scooby interiors of days gone by. I still have my '97 LSi and my '00 GT Limited in the driveway and, let me tell you, the interior is light years ahead of the older models. You want finer refinements? Buy an Acura, Lexus or an Infinity. For an extra $8000, they'll make the ID3 tags work (the used TL referenced above was a 2005 that had 29k on it and was $3000 less than my car was NEW).

This may seem obvious to me, but, in the future, when hunting for a car review, if the article you find starts out with a dissertation on how the driver challenged the GPS for accuracy, expect the rest to follow the chant of devout geeks everywhere, crying out from their mothers basements, "GIGO". (For those of you not stricken with tech-lingo sickness, that's, "Garbage In, Garbage Out")

i dont see what the problem with the review is, they said the car drove fine but there werent enough tech toys.

Whats wrong with that?

Dont we have like 500 millions posts on the site saying how we dont have all the extra "toys" like the other makes do?

Your right. Perhaps I was a bit overzealous, but I don't think that the Subie is really missing much anymore. Bluetooth was my biggest complaint. Memory seats would have been nice. The seats are dramatically better however, seat heater adjustment is better than most, dual zone heat controls were sent from heaven to keep my wife and I married and built in satellite radio. Heck, it even plays WMA and MP3 formatted CD-RWs! The retractable deck over the drink holders is even rubberized to hold my MP3 player from slipping around! With Nav, you can even set appointments or reminders (can anyone say, "Anniversary"?) in a pinch, display mileage in instant and per trip views and set reminders on when to change your oil (should you be one who changes it yourself...I don't have a stash of dealer reminder stickers to use).

Don't get me wrong; I love gadgets, but find I end up ignoring many of them unless they make my life easier, leaving me to enjoy the drive more. That's the real reason I'm in a Scooby. Unpretentious, dare I say, performance.

BTW, the paddles are great in traffic. They allow you to engine break without having to actually be in manual shifting mode. The car will downshift, holding the gear for several moments, before reselecting the best gear for mileage.

Archived