LegacyGT.com

AP Firmware Update Problems

Ferenczy33

Anyone else having issue with the new Cobb AP V2.0 firmware update?

Lucky me, found a two month old AP V2.0 for my car locally on Craig's List for $550. Went and picked it up last Friday, still in box, looks like new. Installed Stage 1 91 map, everything ran great. Then, I start surfing Cobb's website and see that there is a new firmware update for the AP. So I install it to the letter of the instructions. When the update was completing and attempted to restart the AP, it froze on the start-up screen. After waiting 10-15 minutes for it to unfreeze, it never did so I safely disabled the USB, then disconnected it. When I restarted the AP, it started up fine and said I was running the latest firmware update. Then I go to the car to plug it in and try the new features, but nothing seems to work. Live data, switch map, MPG, etc., everything says the connection to the ECU is lost. I tried several USB cables all with the same result. Then I figured maybe I need to uninstall the AP, then reinstall it. Well it uninstalled just fine, but now won't reinstall. It identifies the vehicle, then when I select ok to continue, it loses its connection to the ECU. Very frustrating. So I am calling Cobb today to see whats up but it pretty much sounds like I will be sending it in. Anyone else having troubles with the new firmware update?

I had that problem with the previous firmware, not the new one. Actually by downloading the new one it fixed my issue. Calling Cobb is a good idea because they sometimes have newer beta firmware versions under wraps that they might e-mail to you [they did it for me, I got the new version some time before everyoen else :D]. Worst case scenario you can revert back to an older one until the issue is fixed. Either way let them know.

You might also want to check the dongle, which is the part that connects to the OBDII jack in your car. Make sure none of the pins are bent. The AP freezing up is nothing out of the ordinary unless it does it on a regular basis.

Talked to Cobb this morning, they do have another Beta version that they said they would email out to me, however, that was at 10:00 this morning and its now 3:00...no email yet but I'm being patient. Checked all the connections, even the dongle, and everything checks out okay. Like I said, I can get it to connect for just one signal to the ECU, then it craps out.

My AP did that and then it quit turning on altogether. They actually replaced the whole thing but still had the problem. It took a day for them to send me the e-mail. If you don't get it by tomorrow around this time, definitely have them send it again or check your Spam/Bulk/Whatever e-mail folder.

How do I revert back to the old firmware version? How do I get a hold of a previous version of the firmware? As far as I can tell, its not possible.

You might want to verify with Cobb before you do this but basically it's the same process as you would go through to update the firmware. To get a hold of a new one I think you would have to ask them to send you a copy. The AP doesn't prevent you from downgrading the firmware. I know this because I asked them before flashing their beta version. "What if it screws up my AP". Tech said don't worry, you can always flash it back to 1.5

So I have an answer...it's the Dongle version (OBDII plug) that is causing the issue. Warning to anyone with Dongle version COBB2 V0.01, DO NOT update your AP to the new firmware until they have this issue fixed. Cobb software engineers are currently working for a fix, if they cannot fix, they will ask people with V0.01 dongles to send them in to have them swapped out for a new one.

Also asked about flashing firmware back to previous version and the answer I got was that there are too many safeguards that will not allow older programming to be flashed to the AP. Bummer. Looks like my AP will be out of commission for a while.

Interesting... I will have to see what version dongle I have next time I connect it up. In my case I'm running stage 1 with a TDC tune real time map. The TDC map was setup to work with my current firmware v1.1.2.0. I'm also using AP manager 1.0.5. I had problems with 1.0.6.

I did some tests to see if I could upload the TDC map to the new manager after installing it and the firmware update from Cobbs site. And it was a no go. It kept flagging the TDC map as an outdated one. So I scrapped it all and reinstalled my original map manager. Looks like I will need to get TDC to redo the map if I decided to upgrade the firmware and I am not sure its worth it for those additional features.

Archived