LegacyGT.com

Burning rubber smell at high speeds/loads

You said after hard driving? Like redline driving?

I was doing donuts in a "closed, private area" this past winter and being that its a 5EAT, it liked to downshift on its own from time to time and then when the wheels caught back again it was redlining. The smell was coming from the belts being used extra hard, because when I got done with my fun and drove it normally for a few miles, the smell went away as the belts cooled down.

It's cool; I'm with the band

You said after hard driving? Like redline driving?

I was doing donuts in a "closed, private area" this past winter and being that its a 5EAT, it liked to downshift on its own from time to time and then when the wheels caught back again it was redlining. The smell was coming from the belts being used extra hard, because when I got done with my fun and drove it normally for a few miles, the smell went away as the belts cooled down.

The smell appears if I push my car to go around someone or if I'm just getting on it. When I slow down the smell usually leaves within a few mins. The other day it lasted longer. That is what prompted my post. But I don't let it get into the red. I looked at the belts closely today and I couldn't see any excessive wearing.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I encountered this problem recently with my 5EAT too. I went through this thread and kept hearing about the alternator so I went outside to check it out. I don't know about everyone else's car, but the area surrounding the alternator was covered in belt residue. It was like a powdered rubber all over the face of the alternator. The belt that runs on that pulley had much more residue on the underside of it as well. Looks like the belt was just getting worn down a bit, resulting in the burnt rubber smell.

Hope this helps anyone in the future with this problem.

• Mega Users
Interesting. I've never seen any belt material on my alternator. The times I've had this happen, I'm pretty sure it was from a bit of axle grease seeping out of the boot and splashing onto the downpipe. It was the same smell that I had for months after the boot cracked and sprayed grease all over the exhaust.

• Mega Users
I don't remember how much it was. I was going insane preparing for a cross country move that was a few days away when I saw the grease everywhere. I think maybe $150 or somewhere around there. The dealership refused to fix it for me. They would only replace the whole axle so I had to find a different mechanic to do just the boot.

Archived