LegacyGT.com

Yokohama S.Drive tires????

FJuan

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_sdrive_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_sdrive_ci1_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_sdrive_ci3_l.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

crap! don't buy. Read EVO mag's tire review...these rated about dead last. Stopped some 30ft longer from 60mph than the best reviewed. They couldn't believe Yoko would put out such a horrid product.

A VW GTI was used for testing. Blind testing (tires were covered until driver was in car - same driver for all tests).

All tires were with 225/45/17 - winner of each gets 100pts and the rest a percentage based on how close to the test leader.. Test were: Lap Times, Lateral G, Subjective, Straightline Acceleration, Wet Corning, Wet Braking, Dry Braking, Rolling Resistance

Results:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

2. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

3. Continental ContiSport Contact3

4. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

5. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

6. Pirelli PZero Nero

7. Kumho Ecsta SPT

8. Dunlop Sport MAXX

9. Yokohama S.Drive

Comments about the S.Drive: "Lowest rolling resistance and a set of low to middling scores in the dry tests were the Yoko's high spots. It came dead last in all the wet tests, generating so little grip that in the straight-line braking it took a massive 12.1m (38ft!) further than the best tyre"

Interesting sidenote - they tried a few sets with 225/40/18 to see how things would change - the car was 2.5sec slower around the course, despite having more treadwidth and shorter sidewalls

Interesting, thanks for the review. My first choice was the GS-D3s since I had a pair on my previous car, but I'm looking to save a few bucks and settle for second best tires. After that review I'm now thinking about spending the extra dough for the GS-D3s again.

Goodyear is no longer providing German made Eagle F GS-D3. All production is Chinese made now. Remember when they closed out the lower load rating models awhile back? Those were the Chinese made tires.

as for the tires being expensive....there's a mix of affordable and expensive. the affordable ones finished down the list. Kumho SPT are dirt cheap.

^^ Read alot of good reviews from Tire Rack and Discount Tires on those too.

I almost went out and bought a set of BFG G-Force Sports for $109 a tire, untill I read some mixed reviews about wet weather driving. I'm needing a good tire for wet weather since it rains alot during our winter to spring months. No need for all season tires since I don't visit the snow with the LGT.

Any thoughts about the BFG Sports?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bfg_g_force_sport_ci2_l.jpg

As do I, there are so many choices. When you buy some then you see something you like better. It's kind of like computers, you never have the latest greatest because new and better ones are always in production.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Generals and for the price I think it's worth a shot to try them out.

Your right, they're cheap enough to at least try, and it's the wet weather driving I'm mostly interested in for high performance tires. So far, I haven't read any bad reviews of the Generals being bad in the wet.

I have them right now, I got a good deal on them and to be honest I quite like them. I have had Blizzaks in the past and on the snow they were unbeatable but these do a good job of striking a balance.

Pros:

- Decent dry road performance in the winter

- They feel "firm" in the sense that I don't feel I sacrificed a lot in the handling department by moving to a winter tire.

- Doesn't turn into a soft eraser on warmer days

Cons:

- Snow performance is not as good as Blizzak

- They take a while to get warmed up and in the morning they are very very hard

• 1 month later...

Bump, I want to know as well. I've seriously been considering buying the Bridgestone RE-01r's, but don't really want to spend $170 per tire. Also, the RE-01r's only have a 140 tread rating.

I just want a good overall summer performance tire that is good for spirited daily driving use. I probably won't AUTO-X for a while so the RE-01r's probably are overkill for spirited daily driving.

Anyone that has any other experience with good summer tires that don't cost an arm and a leg, feel free to chime in.

Bump for GENERALS review!

I've got a set of almost new RE01R's for sale in teh stock LGT size. Can't go wrong there.

Parada Spec-2 are also a good, cheap tire, as are the Sumitomo's and Hankook RS2's

Archived