LegacyGT.com

Catless D/P and emissions

collegemt

I live in denver and I am thinking about going stage 2. I can get a megan racing catless D/P for alot cheaper than a catted one. However starting January 1st, denver is now doing roadside emissin testing. If they find your vehicle is polluting you have to go in for a test at a testing station. I am sure the D/P would not pass a visual inspection

Does anyone know if a catless D/P will pass the roadside emission tests?

If not, which budget friendly catted D/P would you recomend?

Odds are that a catless DP will NOT pass a sniffer test. If you have an AP, you WILL pass a OBDII test. It all depends on what the roadside emissions test is. do they just do an OBDII scan test, or do they stick a probe in your tail pipe?

The road side emission is a van that parks on the on ramp of interstates. Not sure what exact tool they use (laser?) but they can measure the particles/emission in the air as you drive by. Just let off the gas if you have to drive by one of those vans. Fuel injected engine shuts off the injectors if you are coasting in gear, as long as the rpm is higher than idle. No fuel means no combustion, no combustion means no emission. If you don't give them anything to measure I assume they can't flag you...

i called the emissions people yesterday to ask when i need to get my cars emmissions tested. they asked what year it was, i sad 2008. the guy said in 4 years. I asked about the roadside emissions, he said don't worry about them. So i assume once 4 years is up and a roadside emissions test finds out you are polluting you have to go in.

I assume you didn't mention the part about your plan to go cat-less... :lol: The person you talked to probably just telling not to worry about the road side testing because a brand new car shouldn't have any problem passing it. A brand new car without it's emission equipment on the other hand just might fail the emission testing. I have a feeling if the van flags your car you will have to take it in for testing regardless of the model year.

I assume you didn't mention the part about your plan to go cat-less... :lol: The person you talked to probably just telling not to worry about the road side testing because a brand new car shouldn't have any problem passing it. A brand new car without it's emission equipment on the other hand just might fail the emission testing. I have a feeling if the van flags your car you will have to take it in for testing regardless of the model year.

You are probably right, but I think I am going to either go with a shorty D/P and keep a cat or just go with a catted full D/P.

just coast by them like art said, if your really that worried get that reflective glossy spray and coat it over your plates. when the van goes to take a picture, the flash will turn your plate all white and the numbers/letters won't be legible ;) (i really have no idea if that works. but it's funny if that is all you have to do to negate a photo)

brian

• 2 weeks later...
I might be the first one to get the red flag for this. I drove past an emissions van today getting on the highway. I coasted past it completely letting off throttle about 50 feet before it and was rolling past the van at about 2500 rpms in neutral. We will see if letting off the throttle was enough for me not to get flagged. I will keep everyone posted.

can't you weld in a cat to your catless dp for a few bucks at a local muffler shop? i know that's what 'boostjunkie' has been telling people to do with the megan dp... a good hi-flow cat is ~100/150ish (correct?)

i would rather pay for the cat, then have to waste the time fixing emissions problems for the state...

just my .02

brian

I coasted past it completely letting off throttle about 50 feet before it and was rolling past the van at about 2500 rpms in neutral.

:nono:To be safe you should coast by in gear, NOT in neutral. Once you put the car in neutral it will start to burn fuel in order to maintain idle RPM. If you coast while in gear the injectors are shut off and there is no combustion.

TP (tommypenguin):: Which one did you pass by? The one on Quebec to 470? If it is that one, I pass by there almost all the time with me catless and never got anything. *knocks on wood*

It was that one, thankfully so maybe i'll catch a break, I didn't see a flash as I drove by. I just talked to my buddy who drives a catless wrx and he says he passes the van everyday as he punches it on the highway and hasn't been cited yet. I thought about what art just said, haha, comical thinking about what I said now. When you put your ride in neutral, rpms go to idle, not the 2500rpms I had envisioned:redface: I will coast by next time in gear.

:nono:To be safe you should coast by in gear, NOT in neutral. Once you put the car in neutral it will start to burn fuel in order to maintain idle RPM. If you coast while in gear the injectors are shut off and there is no combustion.

me = stupid question... is this both for AT/MT?

ps - those emission vans, they couldn't be THAT sensitive... can they?!

brian

I would not worry if your car is tuned. Shamar is stg 2 and cattless and had to go to a emission ref. because a cop pulled him over and popped his hood and saw a aftermarket BPV/BOV( what a co*ksucker). So they made him do a sniff test and he passed cleaner then the stock requirement. And that is in sunny Socal so you should be fine.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

It was that one, thankfully so maybe i'll catch a break, I didn't see a flash as I drove by. I just talked to my buddy who drives a catless wrx and he says he passes the van everyday as he punches it on the highway and hasn't been cited yet. I thought about what art just said, haha, comical thinking about what I said now. When you put your ride in neutral, rpms go to idle, not the 2500rpms I had envisioned:redface: I will coast by next time in gear.

I wouldn't worry too much. If your car is tuned properly and mechanically sound you should be ok.

me = stupid question... is this both for AT/MT?

ps - those emission vans, they couldn't be THAT sensitive... can they?!

Yes, it goes for both AT & MT. BTW, I forgot to mention that even coasting in gear you will still need to make sure your RPM is above idle. Once the RPM gets too low the engine will restart combustion to maintain idle.

I guess we really don't know how sensitive the vans are. I have a feeling they are only flagging the worst offenders. You have to remember that if you get flagged they send you to do an emission test. The test is free to you but I'm sure the CO government is paying for it. I don't think the state wants to foot the bill for too many false positives.

I guess we really don't know how sensitive the vans are. I have a feeling they are only flagging the worst offenders. You have to remember that if you get flagged they send you to do an emission test. The test is free to you but I'm sure the CO government is paying for it. I don't think the state wants to foot the bill for too many false positives.

i see a lot of cars around here in boulder just pouring smoke out of their exhaust... i would think those old junker cars are the ones that get caught.

then again, *knock on wood*

brian

Why run catless? It smells like crap and $200 is not that much for the cat. For that matter, you can do a shorty and keep a cat for less than a catless full DP...

That's true I have a shorty then run a 3" hi flow catt and 3" all the way back.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived