LegacyGT.com

My Russian Neighbor...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright! So I have some further development of this story. At lunch I picked up the police report. What do you know, the guy manned up and admitted his guilt. Police report says: "Driver 1 (him) stated he tapped the rear bumper of V2 while attempting to park. Minimal damage caused to V2 as a result of accident."

So I called my insurance to get the name of his insurance. All State. Hmmmm... let's see how it goes. So I called All State and within 25 minutes I had an appointment set up for Monday to come into their facility so that the adjuster can asses the repair costs. I asked the lady how it works after he inspects the car. She said, well, he's going to write you a check and you'll be on your way. SWEET.

I don't want to get any money out of this. I just want the car to look the same as it did before it got rammed doggy style by a Honda. I'll make a few calls to reputable shops to see how much they charge for something like this. Feel free to recommend some to me. The paint is Obsidian Black Pearl so I do expect it to cost more and be a bit harder to match though :(

Here's a short list of what the adjuster should have on their estimate:

R&I REAR BUMPER COVER

R&I LT AND RT TAIL LAMP (Possibly needs to be done to access the bumper bolts)

REPAIR BUMPER - 4-5 HOURS OR RECONDITION

PARTIAL BASE COAT REDUCTION -.5 (BLENDING WITHIN THE PANEL)

FULL CLEAR COAT TIME

HAZARDOUS WASTE

FLEX ADDITIVE

COLOR TINT

Also, remember that in no state I know of do you have to take it to thier shop for repairs (though in many you can be required to come in for an aditional estimate). You don't have to take a check and in fact, it would be a bad idea if you just want it fixed.

Find a shop you like and have them talk to the insurance company and have the ins co pay them direct.

Had similar damage to the Outback...twice in 13 months (tapped in the rear by another driver, just cosmetic damage from the license plate screws of the other driver). Both times it was between $450 and $500. First time was a new bumper cover as the car was 1 month old, second time was repair and repaint.
It is still ugly.

Only way to get more points is to be dual citizen, Canadian / British ;)

I can almost be triple citizen. I'm already dual: Canadian/American, but my family is from the Czech Republic and still lives there. Makes it really easy for me to be a citizen there too.

I would probably go that route if the damage was substantial. Since it's just two scratches, I don't expect any "unseen" damage.

Actually what you risk is that insurance companies tend to way underprice quality paintwork. Good paintwork is quite expensive. Cheap paintwork tends to be crap.

Insurance companies go by fixed paint times using the same estimating system that the body shop uses. The paint times is based on an industry standard. Please also keep in mind, that if the body shop refuses to go by the hourly rate for paint and body that the insurance company has, there is a good chance that the customer will be responsible for some out of pocket expenses. In addition, a good paint job is really determined by the skill of the painter and the condition of the shop in terms of cleanliness for a clean painting environment. I've seen some booths that are just horrific and that is why the shop always asks for de-nib and polish to remove the specs of dirt that settles on the paint.

So I visited the adjuster this morning. He estimated it fro 418 bucks. Sounds ok. He counted the labor for removal and installation of the bumper, and paint of course. Now I'm waiting to hear from All State to see what they say.

Archived