LegacyGT.com

Yamaha FZ6

Probably gonna get flamed for putting this here...

Any of you bikers know much about this bike? Looking at it for my first bike this spring...seems to fit the bill pretty nicely.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/images/FZ6.jpg

IMHO, that's a great first bike. Chances are you're getting it for a great price and you could always trade up or keep it if you decide to go either the crotch rocket or cruiser route.

So many guys out there end up getting a first bike that's WAY too much for them to handle.

The FZ6 is basicly the little brother to the R6. I had an R6, incredible machine for someone under 200lbs. The average rider could never approach the limits of an R6. The FZ6 has the same motor, better ergos for a more comfortable ride, and is very, very quick. That bike is maybe more than a "beginner" bike. You will ride that for years and get enjoyment. FYI, in terms of reliability, Yamaha is second to none. Had Hondas, a Kawi, and a bunc of Yamaha's. Never ever had ONE problem with any Yamaha I owned ( I had an R1, an R6, a warrior ATV, I now have a raptor ATV and a Honda Recon ATV. The Honda runs like shit.

Also, the Yamaha 600's are the most sought after used bike, especially the R6. So resale is easy.

Make sure you ride with a helmet!:) I crashed the R1 into the woods at about 60 mph......my $400.00 Shoe helmet saved me from massive head trauma, I literally almost walked away from the crash.....except my ankle was dislocated so I had to crawl out of the ditch. Spend the money and get a GOOD full face helmet.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p128/Bedford90/Picture052.jpgLooks Kinda familiar. My first question to you is what is your experience level? If it's your first motorcycle ever then no it's a terrible bike for you. If you have many many years of previous riding experience off road then it's not quite as bad. Personally my advice would be to get a used kawi 250 and ride it for a year. They're super forgiving bikes and if anything it'll gain value. Then once you've decided you want to ride because you're a rider and not for ego's sake (not trying to offend this is just general) you can upgrade to something faster.

If you have any questions about the FZ6 I'm the guy to ask. (Too bad I don't have one a shot with the solo seat cowl on it).

Also you can't have enough protective gear. Make sure you have enough budget for a proper helmet (not a cheapo because really what are your brains worth to you?), proper jacket, riding pants (be they jeans, textile or leather), gloves and boots. I'd also suggest a spine guard. You dress for the crash not the ride remember that.

James

Bikes are so fast straight from factory, im getting one next winter. Be careful have fun, i hope you are older than 25 cause insurance is a killer, when i was 18 insurance on a 1000RR was 9grand a year thats why i didnt get a bike lol

I changed my mind. I'm 24 so insurance is killer for me my first year.

They're doing a group buy on the new 250R in Canada. 4400 cash out the door, taxes inc. I'm gonna pick up one of those...they look hot and VERY good on insurance.

The FZ6 would be 2200 a year for me this year, but only 800 a year next. So i'll stick with the 250R and learn how to ride, and go with the FZ6 when im more experienced. What do you bikers think of that?

http://www.moto-station.com/ttesimages/motodivers/nouveautes2008/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R_2008_st3pz.jpg

The FZ makes 9 less hp that the R6 and the same torque 1000rpm lower.

That 250R is sweet for 4400. Ride that for 2 years and go straight to the FZ1. A litre bike is nothing to be afraid of......the throttle is like a volume control, more throttle, more danger and fury. Just ride sensible AND DONT DO EFFIN WHEELIES ON THE HIGHWAY!

Also, I always used this to gauge if a bike is too big for me; If it falls over, and you cannot pick it up, it is too big.

My uncle has a good helmet for me...

What's "Cheap" leather...I saw some stuff online made by "GB" leather that looked okay. Two piece suit was 249, kevlar/leather gloves for 40 and spine protector for 50.

Gear=

Helmet, we discussed before.

good boots

as much leather as you can stand to wear.

a riding jacket with body armor in the shoulders and elbows.

good gloves.

My uncle has a good helmet for me...

What's "Cheap" leather...I saw some stuff online made by "GB" leather that looked okay. Two piece suit was 249, kevlar/leather gloves for 40 and spine protector for 50.

The "good" leather is thicker than 1mm. Cheap stuff is like .5mm thick.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_racing_suits/joe_rocket/gpx_type_r_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

What I wear. Note the CE approved armor. I also removed the non-approved spine foamy pad and use a proper CE approved spine protector. That suit you posted screams liability to me even though my suit isn't the best. What's your skin worth? When I started I had the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants in textile. The price is reasonable and they work for everything from cold to hot. Kinda three jackets in one.

Also, check out the closeout and then bargain basement at newenough.com (not sure if I'm allowed to post links when I'm not affiliated)

• 2 weeks later...
keep us updated on the 250R, Im thinking of getting a bike and learning to ride in a year or two when im out of school and have a job. I ultimately want an R6 or ZX-6R but I think those would be a lil too much for me to start out on...

The R6 is the best handling bike I ever owned/ridden. It's poise, balance and ergos are perfection. Different years had their strengths, the 01' is my pick. I bought the 01' new. I put 1800 bucks in mods. I enjoyed every moment of the 17,000 miles riding the Yam. She was sweet to look at too. It can make a marginal rider look good because it steers so easy and precise.

I still say buy the 600, have a bike shop "govern" the bike so you don't kill yourself with speed learning, and you'll stay with the bike for a long time. If you plan on driving on the freeway a 250 is going to be foolish and possibly more dangerous, just my 2cents, I miss my bike:redface: the pic is not the actual one I owned, but it is was identical to this. Red Yam's are uncommon. It looked awesome on a wheelie:)

The R6 is the best handling bike I ever owned/ridden. It's poise, balance and ergos are perfection. Different years had their strengths, the 01' is my pick. I bought the 01' new. I put 1800 bucks in mods. I enjoyed every moment of the 17,000 miles riding the Yam. She was sweet to look at too. It can make a marginal rider look good because it steers so easy and precise.

I still say buy the 600, have a bike shop "govern" the bike so you don't kill yourself with speed learning, and you'll stay with the bike for a long time. If you plan on driving on the freeway a 250 is going to be foolish and possibly more dangerous, just my 2cents, I miss my bike:redface: the pic is not the actual one I owned, but it is was identical to this. Red Yam's are uncommon. It looked awesome on a wheelie:)

sounds awesome. Thats really what I want to do is buy the bike I want to begin with but my only concern other than the power which you say can be governed down is that ive heard is that the supersports are harder to learn to ride because of the hunched over riding position? (people say its easier to learn on a bike with a more upright riding postion) is that true cause if its not that bad Id way rather just do what you suggested.

I actually changed my mind :p

I think the 250R is going to be a little too slow/small for me.

I've pretty much sealed the deal on a 2006 Suzuki GS500F with 3k miles and still under warranty for two years. Paying 3800 CAD.

Insurance is the same as the 250R at the $1000 a year mark.

Looks like this:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/GS/GS500F/2004_GS500F_black_450.jpg

There is a big difference between sitting back on a cruiser and riding a sport bike. The R6 for 01' and 02' had some of the best ergo's of any sportbike at the time. I could ride mine for 3 hours before I had to get off and rest.

Well either the GS500 or the Ninja 250 are great bikes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm also impressed by the mature responses of most of the people suggesting or desiring to start on smaller bikes. You could start on the biggest gnarliest bike ever but you won't learn anywhere near as much (if you even manage to ride it long enough between underwear changes).

It is generally true that a more upright riding position makes learning easier. Also the bikes you are eying are much more forgiving than the supersports. The beauty of the GS500 is that you can learn on it now and it'll be forgiving but you won't find yourself immediately wanting a faster bike.

I'm very hpapy to see you're not letting ego determine your first bike. Also, if it's new and shiny I strongly suggest frame sliders. They won't necessarily save anything in a higher speed crash but for the time you forget the kick stand at the gas station they may save your bike so the only thing injured is your ego.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks a ton for the help from you and everyone else. I seem to get better responses on here than actual motorcycle forums who are saying "dude get a GXR 1000, or R1".

I was thinking of the SV650 as well, but like I said the 600CC class just mauls me on insurance till i turn 25 next year.

I think this deal on the GS500 is a steal at that price, especially here in Canada. If I play my cards right I should be able to sell it next season at the same price I paid, or who knows, maybe I'll like it so much I'll keep it longer.

Been looking at some of the Joe Rocket and icon series leather jackets and pants, theres some very nice stuff.

Well either the GS500 or the Ninja 250 are great bikes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm also impressed by the mature responses of most of the people suggesting or desiring to start on smaller bikes. You could start on the biggest gnarliest bike ever but you won't learn anywhere near as much (if you even manage to ride it long enough between underwear changes).

It is generally true that a more upright riding position makes learning easier. Also the bikes you are eying are much more forgiving than the supersports. The beauty of the GS500 is that you can learn on it now and it'll be forgiving but you won't find yourself immediately wanting a faster bike.

I'm very hpapy to see you're not letting ego determine your first bike. Also, if it's new and shiny I strongly suggest frame sliders. They won't necessarily save anything in a higher speed crash but for the time you forget the kick stand at the gas station they may save your bike so the only thing injured is your ego.

Good luck with it and feel free to ask any questions.

Good choice. It is a fun bike, and a great one to learn on. My brother in law had a 1991 model...

If you haven't yet, read this book: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. A great read that is full of examples and pictures that aid in minimizing your risks.

In addition, not sure if you have those in Canada, but enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider course and follow it up after a few months with a Experienced Rider course. These will teach you essential riding skills.

Here is a good site that discusses safety gear: www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq/safetygear.html

Consider wearing reflective, high visibility vests... you cannot be too conspicuous!!! There are other good links on that site.

Ride safe, and remember to minimize your exposure to risk! There are two types of riders, those who had been down, and those who will be...

Does you insurance company consider the FZ6 a sportsbike or a non-sportsbike because of the upright position and no lower fairing? My insurance company in NJ with exception of a few nakeds/cruisers (FZ1 and Vmax), naked sportsbikes are considered non sportsbikes. Therefore the insurance is much cheaper.

For example: Kaw Z1000 (125 hp), ZRX1200, Suz Bandit 1200, Hon 919 - for me $400 per year. These are naked sportsbike or standards.

Sportsbikes 750 cc and under for me would be about $900 per year. Even a 600cc Katana (60 hp).

Over 750 cc sportsbike about for me would be about $1400 per year.

Long story short, make sure the agent knows what bike you are talking about.

Some bikes are not a popular as others, like my ZRX1100 ($400 per yr). The first agent I spoke to thought I was referring to a Kaw ZX1200, which is a Ninja ($1400 per yr).

GL with whatever bike you get and ride safe.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived