LegacyGT.com

'06 LGT COBB Stage II Questions

Voo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update!

Just spoke to COBB, they said that the 06 LGT only has 2 CATs, and the downpipe mod has taken care of that problem. The car is Stage II ready.

Gonna go in for my 30k service, then.... Stage II here I come!

Cobb is WRONG on this one. There's definitely 3 cats (1 in UP, 2 in DP) and you've eliminated 2 with the after-mkt. DP. Like others have said, you're best off getting rid of the cat in UP either by gutting it, or installing an after-mkt. piece. You can also look for an OEM UP from the STi, as that is catless. If you are unsure of what parts are currently on the car, contact the previous owner and ask him for a list of after-mkt. parts.

FYI - You will throw CEL codes running catless unless you run the StgII software, as it eliminates the CEL codes from the OEM map.

BOOST CREEP/SPIKE. THE STOCK WASTE GATE WITH THAT DOWN PIPE CAN'T KEEP UP. A quick shift boost spikes engine runs lean parts go boom!!! i read that on another forum.

The ECU controls the wastegate. It also controls how much gas is added to the mix based on the amount of air it sees from the MAF... a second or two of 1-2 extra psi spike won't run you lean, the ECU is smarter than that...

It *could* cause the air to be too hot, causing knock, but that's only when the turbo is out of its efficiency range or the intercooler isn't doing a good job...

+1 Cobb is wrong..i have seen all three on my 06 LGT. 1 in the up, 1 in the DP and 1 in the mid-pipe; the 2007's lose the cat in the up.

Yup. I have a '06 and I can tell you for sure that there is a cat in my stock UP sitting in the garage right now. '07+ have 2 cats, whoever you talked to probably got the 2 confused.

Strange, I called COBB twice, and spoke to 2 diff tech. Both told me that I am good for a "limited" Stage II (300HP at crank) with just the downpipe mod.

I will look into getting a new up tho, thanks all!

+1 although you don't technically need a catless up for stage 2, you should get one because the higher exaust temps can (in some rare cases) cause the cat to break apart and destroy the turbo. With that said, I ran stage 2 with just a gutted DP for 6 months without any problems before I decided to swap the Up.

Damn it I missed that post SpecB! >.<

I'magonna have to go looking for someone selling COBB parts in Vegas.... or get COBB to ship me the part. :p

Update: Called COBB (again, soon they're just gonna ignore my calls) and the tech there said that the '06 LGTs they looked at had no CAT in the uppipe (the cars they looked at use an air pump), but COBB has heard reports of people that have CATs in it.

He suggested that since I wasn't sure, to get Subaru to tell me when I take her in for her 30k service on Mon, which is exactly what I plan on doing.

Wow...Cobb is really horrible!

This is the stage II "kit"off of thier website for 05-06' LGTs...No Up pipe listed.

Stage 2 Kit Includes:

- AccessPORT

- Quick Start User Guide

- USB Cable

- OBDII Connector

- Software CD

- COBB Downpipe

- COBB Cat Back

Man, sounds like Cobb has a bunch of tech's that don't know what they are talking about working there. My '06 was made in March 2006, a very late MY06. It has a cat in the stock UP. They changed to the air pump for MY07.

Jim - I'll go take a look ASAP and let u know/post pics. I believe that black device is the air pump?

SpecB - I don't think COBB got it wrong, it is possible that Subaru changed the uppipe design and removed the CAT. Not to discount your considerable knowledge (remember I'm a noob tho), but IMHO COBB does a ton of research and it is very possible that the 06 LGTs that they looked at really didn't have CATs in their UPs. But regardless, I'm gonna to physically check my UP before flashing ANYTHING. I hear CAT bits cause indigestion with the turbo.... and I doubt Pepto will be the fix for it :p

ChenC - I spoke to 2 (or 3, I can't remember) different techs and they said the same thing. But I do appreciate the info and will check to make sure. Based off the VIN, mine is the... 1800'ish made for MY 06. Not sure when it was banged together.

But.... I want 300 horsies at the crank! :p

I'm gonna wait till my service with Subaru next week and get as much info from them as possible before deciding :)

From a purely capitalistic POV, COBB is telling me I don't (or might not) need to buy their UP (depending if I have a CAT), which is kinda nice in the sense that they don't seem to be pushing product on me.

Goneskiian - Is there a reason to remove the EGT sensor? I will be flashing to COBB Stage II, so in theory, there wouldn't be anything wrong with leaving the EGT Sensor in the UP, right?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to know what I'm doing, why and what the alternatives are.

Unless you really want to spend $230 for a Cobb UP, go with a ~$100 flex UP from somebody like Megan or STI/Bosal UP. You don't need the EGT, in fact it might cause you to get a CEL later on, just go with the resistor trick. Removing the EGT prevents it from getting damaged and possibly spill debris downstream to the turbo.

Strange thing is that the previous owner told me that the CAT has been removed. If that's the case, will I still require a new Uppipe? Is there a way to physically see if the CAT is there? Other than putting it on a lift that is.

I wouldn't spend any money on an UP until you can confirm the one you have has one or not.

From this statement I think the previous owner have have already "gutted" it. It's worth checking at least. Save yourself some $$$!

Will do ChenC. I also had an offer to gut my UP, would that be a good idea?

That is a fine idea...I doubt there is any decernable difference between a a gutted up and an aftermarket one.

I got a gutted one (used) and left my sensor in my UP..not the best thing to do since it could theoretically breakoff and destroy my turbo. If you are going the gutted route, i would suggest you plug the bung opening and do the resistor mod.

Will do ChenC. I also had an offer to gut my UP, would that be a good idea?

As long ALL the cat material is removed then a gutted stock UP is about as good as an aftermarket one. To "gut" a cat is basically just to break it into bits and take them out. If some of the bits didn't come out they will most definitely get into your turbo. Just make sure whoever is doing it has experience doing it.

Archived