LegacyGT.com

'06 LGT COBB Stage II Questions

Voo

I bought my car and the person that sold it to me had the relevant COBB mods to take it to Stage II, but the car is currently running "Stock".

I spoke to a COBB rep and he said that it's actually more dangerous for me to run my car stock, than it is to flash the ECU to Stage II. He also suggested that if I wanted to continue to run it with a stock ECU, that I should actually replace the COBB parts with the original LGT ones.

Now, in case you haven't already deduced, I'm a TOTAL n00b when it comes to tuning and modding my car.

Does anyone have experience with COBB and how "safe" (relatively speaking) is Stage II? I reside in Vegas and we only have 91-octane available (no 79 gas stations here) and will that cause knocking problems? And how can I tell if my car is actually knocking?

Finally, does anyone know of any reputable Subie tuners here in the Las Vegas area?

Thanks all, really appreciate all the help I've gotten so far! :icon_bigg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of folks have logged a lot of miles on a basic Stage 2 setup (with the appropriate tune..cobb or otherwise) with no problems at all. If you have the Cobb AP, go ahead and flash the stage 2 map, just make sure it is the 91 octane map (not the 93).

It is not smart to run your car with stage 2 parts without a tune..some folks have done it without any problems, but I would not suggest it.

I spoke to a COBB rep and he said that it's actually more dangerous for me to run my car stock, than it is to flash the ECU to Stage II.

I can't really think of a good reason why this is the case. "Stage 2 hardware" really only consist of up-pipe, down-pipe and/or cat-back exhaust. Cat-less up-pipe is standard for '07+ so there is no danger there. Nor is aftermarket cat-back exhaust any more dangerous than stock exhaust. The only thing I can think of is if the stock ECU tune could some how cause the high-flow cat in the down-pipe to overheat and break apart. I really don't think that's a likely scenario.

Now, if you have an intake then it could cause the engine to run lean and that's bad. But an intake is not part of recommended "stage 2 hardware"...

I spoke to a COBB rep and he said that it's actually more dangerous for me to run my car stock, than it is to flash the ECU to Stage II. He also suggested that if I wanted to continue to run it with a stock ECU, that I should actually replace the COBB parts with the original LGT ones.

Selling an AP to you is their bread and butter... I'd be interested to hear the technical details vs. speculation on why it's more dangerous, if nothing else to simply learn something...

Subscribed. I can't see why running on the stock flash with Stage 2 hardware could be harmful. If you think about it, the basic Stage 2 requirement is the catless up and down. What, the extra turbulence and easier flow is somewhat better? The tech said "might" be harmful and that can be true because you can never know what other hardware was installed on the car.

Well, the tech from COBB knew that I already had the parts and the AP. I thought that they might try to sell me something, but since I already had all the required parts and he suggested I "revert back to stock", I was totally thrown. Glad for all the tips and info. I will definitely start looking into getting Stage 2 - 91 OCT flashed.

Just kinda nervous since a screw up on my part could render the car inoperable AND void all of my extended warranty :p

Additional Details:

The guy I bought the car from had all the mods done with COBB parts. Airbox is stock (but I am prob gonna change to a K&N box filter), no CAT, basically exhaust mods only, from what I am told. Does that constitute as Stage II? I'm just terrified I'll blow something expensive and cry my way to the bank, and then the Subie dealer! :p

Well, (for the LIFE of me), I can't seem to find a Subie Tuner in the Las Vegas area! >.<

It's driving me absolutely BONKERS! That and my dealer frowns on aftermarket mods:-\

UPDATE:

My car only has the SS 3" Street Downpipe mod to the exhaust (along with the heatshield), I've emailed COBB to see if that's sufficient to upgrade the ECU to Stage II, does anyone know if that's still doable, or do I require more extensive mods?

Thanks!

you should have an aftermarket uppipe too. There is a cat in your stock 06 uppipe, and to prevent this from breaking up and getting sucked through, people replace the uppipe.

Strange thing is that the previous owner told me that the CAT has been removed. If that's the case, will I still require a new Uppipe? Is there a way to physically see if the CAT is there? Other than putting it on a lift that is.

As for the trip to CA, my friend and I drive from LV to CA and back again in 14hr (1-way rental to pick up my LGT, and a straight turnaround), covering 600+miles in abt 14hrs. Boy were we tired after that.

Strange thing is that the previous owner told me that the CAT has been removed. If that's the case, will I still require a new Uppipe? Is there a way to physically see if the CAT is there? Other than putting it on a lift that is.

As for the trip to CA, my friend and I drive from LV to CA and back again in 14hr (1-way rental to pick up my LGT, and a straight turnaround), covering 600+miles in abt 14hrs. Boy were we tired after that.

14 hours :eek:.

im assuming you stayed for a bit

you should have an aftermarket uppipe too. There is a cat in your stock 06 uppipe, and to prevent this from breaking up and getting sucked through, people replace the uppipe.

+1 although you don't technically need a catless up for stage 2, you should get one because the higher exaust temps can (in some rare cases) cause the cat to break apart and destroy the turbo. With that said, I ran stage 2 with just a gutted DP for 6 months without any problems before I decided to swap the Up.

There are 3 cats in the '06 LGT. Two of them are in the down pipe, which are no longer there since you have an aftermarket DP. The third one is in the UP. Make sure you have a cat-less UP because it's not worth the risk. If the cat breaks up in the UP the debris will be ingested by the turbo. To put it mildly, that's very very bad for the turbo.

You can try to take the stock cat out and try to do a DIY de-cat but there is some risk involve there. If you don't do a very good job of removing all the cat from the UP they will get into the turbo. Aftermarket cat-less UP is only about $100 so it's really not worth the risk IMO. Labor is for the install is the expensive part if you can't do it yourself, ~$200-300. Maybe you can see if you can find a local forum member that would be willing to help you with the install for beer and pizza... ;)

One other option you have is to run Stage 1 until you get your catless UP. That way you make more HP and you do not need to worry about the cat breaking up. But in all honesty..I would run the stage 2 map until you could get a new up pipe. Like I said, I ran stage 2 for about 6 months with the stock up. When I eventually swapped it, the cat in the up showed no ill effects.. Obviously alot of that has to do with driving style (I am rarely driving it hard) and the condition of the cat when you bought the car.

I think a cat breakup in the up is a very rare event in the LGT. It is definitely not what I would consider a common occurrence.

I think a cat breakup in the up is a very rare event in the LGT. It is definitely not what I would consider a common occurrence.

I agree. But I still don't think it's worth the risk. Tis better to live with stage 1 power than pay for a new turbo. :p

Archived