LegacyGT.com

omgomgomg!!11 it snowed in Houston!111

Drift Monkey

we drove through a bad storm nobody expected coming out of the Tidewater area Sunday morning. Something like 14 inches, 32-33 degrees (ice pack) and NO plows or salt on the roads. Actually, it was pretty scary considering the volume of traffic the day after Xmas and people forgetting how to drive in the snow.

Also....my first outing with the LGT in the snow. I learned that the differentials don't like different levels of traction side to side. The car kept being pulled to the left to compensate for some tires being on pack snow, and some on ice. Made a pretty dicey ride until we drove on the shoulder where the soft, fluffy stuff was.

1671428488_stormpic-small.jpg.38afcf93c84f311d022c3343ffb20e8b.jpg

we drove through a bad storm nobody expected coming out of the Tidewater area Sunday morning. Something like 14 inches, 32-33 degrees (ice pack) and NO plows or salt on the roads. Actually, it was pretty scary considering the volume of traffic the day after Xmas and people forgetting how to drive in the snow.

Also....my first outing with the LGT in the snow. I learned that the differentials don't like different levels of traction side to side. The car kept being pulled to the left to compensate for some tires being on pack snow, and some on ice. Made a pretty dicey ride until we drove on the shoulder where the soft, fluffy stuff was.

AWD is great but it doesnt make bad snow situations that much less scary. When I was driving in some snow the other day I was confident in my abilitys and my car but the other drivers on the road were what scared me.

AWD is great but it doesnt make bad snow situations that much less scary. When I was driving in some snow the other day I was confident in my abilitys and my car but the other drivers on the road were what scared me.

You missed my point - ever have the car tug hard to the left on you on snowy/icy roads? What do you do to avoid hitting the car beside you? Turn the wheel right? Sure, but when the diffs stop pushing you left, you risk swerving to the right and hitting that car.

I learned to drive in the snow around Buffalo 20 years ago in a RWD car. I drove the AWD WRX in the snow around here for the last two years, so am fairly comfortable with the system. The actions of my car this weekend scared me to the point that I wished I had my Jeep and 4wd back for the trip. I never had to worry about it going anywhere except where I wanted it to, as long as I didn't exceed the traction available.

Tires have much more to do with traction limitations in teh snow.

True. But tires weren't the cause of the car pulling left in the snow, the diffs were. Lack of traction on one side causes the diffs to do their work. I let off the gas and the car corrected straight again.

Archived