LegacyGT.com

Undercarriage cover in front

While driving on the highway the plastic underbody cover started shaking and blew off. The whole thing cracked. I negelected stop on the highway and pick it up. When I pulled over it was cracked so I knew I needed a new one. Does anyone know if its OK to drive the car with this piece off? How much does this cost to replace? What is the part number? see attached pics

Thanks a lot

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/iamgr8tst/bottomofcar-1.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/iamgr8tst/IMG_2987.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/iamgr8tst/bottomofcar-1.jpg

The only effect may be slightly higher engine temps, as you loose a bit of the venturi effect created by the shield under the radiator. I would not think it would be an issue to worry about, just keep your eyes on your temp gage when expressway travelling.

I would have to think that cover is going to be a decent $$, since it is a large piece. Best bet is to call your local dealer and find out the part number/price.

Have you recently pulled too far over a tire stop recently? This could have caused the front lip of the shield to pull out from inside the bumper cover, which caused air to get on top of it and pull it down and eventually break it. Good luck.

I think it's about $300 to replace. You might want to check with local junk yards to see if you can find a used one. I only run mine during the winter to keep salt and snow off my headers. It's held together with aluminum tape since it's all cracked my header melted a couple holes in it.:redface:

It would probably be cheaper and better to replace it with a metal one from here: http://www.rallitek.com/alskle.html

Let's kick this pig!

I doubt the underpanel has any "venturi effect." The engine doesn't seem particularly vulnerable compared to a straight or V engine. The headers might be a little more vulnerable, but the exhaust has to come down and back on a straight or V engine, too, so I don't see the point.

I doubt the underpanel has any "venturi effect." <snip>

You may be surprised at what effect that undercarriage tray may have on the aiflow through the radiator/condenser. With how cost conscience car makers are today, I can't see them putting something as large as the underpanel on our cars without having a good reason for it.

One of my first experiences with this type of situation was with a friend's IROC Slowmaro. He tore of the little 2" lip under his front valance with a tire stop one night. On his way home from that event he ended up overheating his engine, just cruising along on the side streets. Found out the cause was from the missing lip. Replaced it with some duct taped cardboard as a temporary fix and temps stayed normal.

Turns out the lip forces the airflow under the front valance downward and causes a low pressure area behind it. This in turn causes the high pressure air in front of the radiator toward the low pressure area (i.e.- behind the lip) and through the radiator.

The underpan extends back to the point of the front axles, which is lilkely a lower pressure area and enhances the airlfow through the radiator and engine compartment. Even my 86 SVO has a very small lip that sits under the radiator for the same purpose. You will get some airflow through the radiator w/o it, just not as much as with it. Just my $0.02.

I chose to order it and have it installed at my collision shop. Total cost was 145. Guy told me that there were not making any money on the order. (there is always money to be made!!)

Since the wife picked it up I didn't have a chance to look at it in front of the guy a. When I jacked it up just yesterday it looked like the piece was much bigger and was covering more of the engine and axles. Also, I am not sure if this was there before but the the oil pan is not as accecible as before. There seems to be a compartment that has to be unscrewed in order to get to the oil drop pan.

It also looks like the lip in the front is missing. Is this a seperate piece? I'll get pics up shortly..

Hmm, my 06 has a single piece panel. There is a swing open door for the filter access and an open hole for the pan drain plug. I wonder if they redesigned it for the 07 models, which likely became the standard replacement part.

I agree that the aerodynamics also likely has a lot to do with the front underpanel. I would have to think that it would smooth out the airflow under the car quite a bit.

Archived