LegacyGT.com

A new rattle/clicking noise

impostor

Ive been hearing the new noise for about a week now. Its coming from the back of the car, inside, I'm thinking near the 3rd brake light area. Its much more noticable/louder than the glove box rattle, which I also have. I cant focus when a passenger is talking to me; all I hear is that damn rattle! Anybody else experiencing this?

Jim

G'Day, Jim

I would try and do a few things around the box if that is where u think the noise is coming from, it could be a loose wire and you can get to that thru the boot or try stuffing some tissues in the box to stop it. See how you go and let us know if you get a break thru.

Adam.

It could very well be the brake light. I wont be able to do much with it though till next week. Its been too warm the past week for it to reoccur. Mid 50's in Nebraska in December!?

I think everybody's got an idea of what it sounds like, but to better describe it, it sounds the same as the dash does as it expands and contracts with the defroster on.

Jim

I have the same problem and I really think its the rear end of the roof, I tried pushing it few times and the rattle stopped, it does come back sometimes tho. I really hate the frikin rattles, whenever the car hits a pothole I hear like 3000 rattles from allover, I think it would be best if I ignore them all, or maybe i'll just go crazy.

I have the same problem on my GT wagon. I do think it's probably coming from around the rear window. The plastic that covers the rear defroster wires and presumably the third brake light seems loose. Does anyone know how to remove these pieces and take a look inside? Maybe then a little weatherstripping will help.

I have this rattle too and it sounds like it comes from the headliner back near the rear window. I live in an area with lots of brick streets and anytime I'm on these roads I hear it all the time. Sort of like a plastic creaking/rattling sound that is very loud. Its very irritating to hear this all the time, and it seems to be especially bad in cold weather. Interestingly I've noticed that if I hit a large bump on a smooth road it won't make the sound, but uneven pavement that causes the car to shift weight side to side causes it. I already took it to Subaru for my last oil change and they thought it was being caused by a loose spare tire (which of course it was not). Anyway, if anyone finds a fix for this please post it! :D

Haven't yet found the exact location but definitely coming from the rear 1/3, perhaps in the headliner or rear gate. Cold weather really brings it out. It's like a harsh plastic on plastic sound. Anyone know how to remove interior plastic pieces without significant complications?

i went to the dealership to check out 2 rattling noises, one from my driver side door (they are ordering a new part for it, i guess the insulation or something was bad), and the other noise which came from the back of my car (sedan).

i wasnt able to get back there, but when i did get a chance, it was hard to pin point the location of the noise. the dealer said they checked it out, found that the speaker cover was hitting against something and they said they fixed it. but i dont think they did. riding on the bumpy highway, the noise came back.

but what i did find was that theres this plastic enclosure in the trunk. and this boxed like plastic cover seems to shift around quite easily. im thinking of putting some kind of material around the cover and taping it so that it doesnt shift back and forth. i think this might be the problem. but just my opinion.

SUBBROS,

Can you elaborate on the description of the plastic enclosure you're referring to (such as location in the trunk, etc.)? I may be digging around in my trunk tomorrow and I'll try to take a look at it on mine.

its on the right side of the trunk. like a big ol plastic box hanging down. didnt get much time to really check it out. but i figure ill try to do a lil something to it and see if it happens.

i hate taking my car into the dealer and them having said they fixed the problem only to have it return immediately. i guess we all gotta do our own investigative reporting and fixing.

just forget about it...it's assembled in america man!...haha.....:D

Yeah, when I bought the car I was thinking that, and was certain it would have minor issues with fit & finish. These cars dont even compare to the quality of Imprezas and Foresters in that department.

firedawgs: how was that rattle fixed? i may have narrowed the rattle down to that area. it may be that the headliner is loose and hitting up against the roof of the car or maybe the seatbelt itself. thanks.

So far I've had the "a-pillar", "glove box", "shifter trim", and "e-brake button" rattles. I fix them obsessively as they come up (except the e-brake button. not quite sure how to attack that, other than resting my hand on it when I drive). My girlfriend complains that I let it bother me too much, how her Oldsmobile Intrigue makes tons of noise and she never notices anymore. "Didn't your WRX make noise, too?" "No, it didn't. Not a single buzz or rattle." Maybe it spoiled me. I've become attuned to the slightest noises in the Legacy. But, hey...its hard not to love it. :-)

i've narrowed the most annoying rattle to both rear tail light assemblies on my wagon. i have noticed in the cold it is much more pronounced. next to open them up with help of the instructions in the owner's manual. hopefully it's just the wires or something flopping around in there.

Archived