LegacyGT.com

The chosen ones....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtguy']Also, note the IMBA fine print that the dealers can choose which cars are to be part of that program. For example, the STi is only only now part of VIP programs, a year or so after its release. Kevin[/quote] True enough, but the STi has a far different mission than the Legacy and Legacy GT. Subaru really wants to pump a lot of the Leg's out the door to be their flagship and market leader, so my hunch (and hope) is that they do not keep it off the IMBA list so they can sell as many as possible.

International Mountain Biking Association ([url]http://www.imba.org/[/url]). Being a member, you get a benefit where you are allowed to get any Subaru for invoice price. It only works though if you've been a member for at least six months.
-ben

[quote name='axis008']International Mountain Biking Association ([url]http://www.imba.org/[/url]). Being a member, you get a benefit where you are allowed to get any Subaru for invoice price. It only works though if you've been a member for at least six months.[/quote] I think you mean [url]www.imba.com[/url] The .org addy is banking related.

I'll be getting one as soon as it hits the dealership. I've already contacted IMBA and talked to my salesman. He called me as soon as he got the info from SOA (about 2 days before I got my official letter from them). Anyway, he's got 2 GT Wagons coming in the 2nd or 3rd week of May. He said he'd call as soon as they arrive. One's Silver with the 5EAT and one's Black with the 5MT. I'm not sure which tranny I want yet (90% sure it'll be the MT) so I'll drive them and decide. FWIW, the IMBA site ([url]www.IMBA.com[/url]) is very informative. You'll need to look for a link to their member benefits and then scroll down to find the Subaru VIP Partners Program. All is explained there. If mountain biking isn't your gig. Joe Spitz's cars101 site ([url]www.cars101.com[/url]) lists all the other organizations that have VIP Partnership programs with Subaru. Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='"Sub-attraction"'][quote name='gurpman'] I found one statement in the documentation that could possibly be a sticking point "The final decision of which models are available is left to individual dealer discretion" That means the dealer could refuse to sell the more popular models under this plan which would totally Pi$$ me off. I'll be snooping around several dealers to find out which ones might try to weasle out before selecting them for the certificate.[/quote] I bought my WRX wagon through the IMBA program in October of 2001. At that point they wouldn't let me take one out of stock, but I was able to special order one, which was fine with me, since I got it just the way I wanted. You might have to do the same, but I doubt a dealer is going to deny you all together.

Yeah, $25 bones for IMBA is a *super* cheap way to get a car at invoice. And an IMBA membership won't allow you to rack up huge debt like a credit card. :D Not to mention what your buddies would think when they see you using the "Rainbow" credit card. :D (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that... says Dave covering his tracks)

[quote name='GaryS']I wonder if 'Subaru bucks' can be applied on top of the dealer invoice price through the VIP program... It would be nice, but it seems unlikely - anyone know?[/quote] I don't know about IMBA stuff, but VIP program from the place that i work for will accept Subaru bucks for purchase, they can also be used later to buy parts, accesories and service.

[quote name='racerdave'] (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that... says Dave covering his tracks)[/quote] :lol: Seinfeld. Yes, you can use Subaru Bucks with the VIP program. Maybe I need the Chase card as well. I need to transfer my balance to another card anyway.

I don't know. Sounds like $25 is pretty cheap to me. 6 months isn't that long of a wait. I've read that if you can prove you're a member some dealers will bend the rules for you. Just don't go spoutin' off about how you got them to give you invoice before the 6 month wait period was over and ruin it for other legitimate members of these organizations. Cheers! -Ian

There ya go for up front pressure. ;) Similar to the I'll just go next door sorta deal. ;) As soon as I get my letter and see a new one in person I'm putting my order in for July or the soonest I can get one. :)

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I was going to do the VIP thing, but I need my car WAY before 6 months will be up. Maybe I should just call my dealer and ask him if he would rather sell me a car today for invoice or in six months :lol:[/quote] That's what I'd do. Actually, he may prefer six months after initial demand is down. You could wait until the end of a month when sales totals are being tallied. Just tell them that you will buy one now at invoice now or wait your six months. Even if you pay just $200 over, that's a pretty good deal, and the dealer gets an additional sale for the month.

I wonder why IMBA says you need to contact them first and get the certificate before going to the dealership. Is it because IMBA wants credit for the sale? Or is it so the dealer will know you're getting invoice price before discussing trade-in, so he can screw you on the trade-in? I'm thinking if you show up at the dealership with an IMBA card, they know you can purchase at invoice, so why wouldn't they just let you go ahead and buy it (without jumping through hoops to get certificate, etc). I'm not sure what the difference is to the dealer.

Archived