LegacyGT.com

OBX Turbo Header w/ Up-pipe 300 dollars

harman.khinda

Found this header, up-pipe combo on ebay for only $300!!! Says it'll fit 90-05 Legacy. Seems to good to be true. what your opinion on it? i already have a perrin up-pipe but will ditch it for this.

http://www.fuzionetics.com/ebay/TH005_3.jpg

http://www.fuzionetics.com/ebay/TH005_4.jpg

Go right ahead. I ran a very similar header (probably out of the same Chinese factory) and while it did give me a little bump in torque, it made the car spool slower, the slip joints all leakes and it was a general pain in the butt. Suffice to say it is long gone.

I had obx headers on my 99 accord v6, and after 8 months I got a slight crack at one of the flanges, had a disgusting exhaust leak on my car till I sold it. OBX is about as low on the totum pole as you can get for aftermarket parts IMO, I wouldn't get it. Not to mention the fitment blew with the headers, I had to buy a 100$ oxygen sensor that was 3/4" shorter just so I could get the headers to fit. They would not fit correctly with the stock o2 sensor because it was hitting the oil pan and couldn't clear. I would look at other brands even though the price point is appealing, with obx you get what you pay for.

These look like (or are) the GPMoto headers. They'll work fine, but they need to be welded instead of using the slip joints (those suck!) - Bolt it into the car, tack weld the slip joints, take it off and do a full circumferential weld...get it coated and you're good to go.

Of course, after all this, you're into it as much as a "real" header:rolleyes: and the EL will make your car sound like a Honda:)

These look like (or are) the GPMoto headers. They'll work fine, but they need to be welded instead of using the slip joints (those suck!) - Bolt it into the car, tack weld the slip joints, take it off and do a full circumferential weld...get it coated and you're good to go.

Of course, after all this, you're into it as much as a "real" header:rolleyes: and the EL will make your car sound like a Honda:)

The problem with welding up slip joints to avoid leaks is that is also takes away the expansion and give that the slip joints allow. That makes the piping take up the flexing from expansion and contraction as the metal heats and cools. That equals cracking over time. The best thing if to have flex joints, which obviously flex to take the stress off the welds and won't leak, unlike slip joints.

While you may be correct in theory, my GPMoto EL header have been run welded for over 4 years old (on two different cars) and have no cracks or leaking issues. I just added an EGT bung and wrapped the header three months ago and did a complete once over for cracks or weld fractures...looked fine!

Obviously I don't want to keep replacing headers, but after 4+ years, if I had to replace due to cracks, I feel I'd have gotten my monies worth.

I know obx quality, I'll just say weather you weld the slip joints or not I would still plan on those headers cracking in under a year no more than two on the flanges. OBX has some horrible looking welds IMO. I would get some quality headers to begin with but that is me...

Archived