LegacyGT.com

Autodim & Autodim w/ homelink pricing

Chris

As part of a new car purchase, I was quoted $280 to install the standard autodim mirror and $340 for the homelink version.

How long does it take to install these things? Is there wiring tail/plug they connect to in the headliner? or are they running a small harness down to the fuse block?

15 mins, 30 mins tops. Everything is right there in your headliner. Pop off the old mirror and snap in the new. It's all plug and play.

BTW - Dealer cost for the Autodim mirror is $119.00 so you're royally getting taken to cleaners at $280.00

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It's easy -- you just remove the map light and the harness is already there. Route a short wire under the front of the headliner to the map light harness, and assemble everything. It's a 15-20 minute job tops. I think the auto-dim mirror can be bought online (for instance, subaruparts.com) for about $130. SO those prices sound way too high. Do it yourself and save some $$.

Craig

Thanks guys. I found this company that sells auto dimming mirrors w/ & w/o homelink:

http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink_mirrors.htm

Suby gets these for much cheaper -- Mito charges $230 for a simple compass auto dimmer -- Suby runs around $130 for these. $190 for the Homelink version. You'd think you'd be able to get them cheaper elsewhere, but I was also looking for one for our Honda Odyssey and couldn't find a compass/temp auto dim for less than $190, which is still cheaper than Mito direct...

• 2 weeks later...
just ordered mine from mastrowrx.com for $185 shipped, auto dimming with homelink

Have they told you if it is available or not? I have been getting the story that the unit for the Legacy (H505SAG010) has been released, but there are none available right now. This story is from three different dealers, but not Mastro.

Steve

Have they told you if it is available or not? I have been getting the story that the unit for the Legacy (H505SAG010) has been released, but there are none available right now. This story is from three different dealers, but not Mastro.

Steve

http://www.subaruparts.com has them "usually ships in 4-10 days" right now for $198.03. http://www.1stsubaruparts.com lists them at $187.16. Don't know whether they have them in inventory or not but you could email or call them.

SBT

Steve

The local dealers here in L.A. told me that it is not out yet, but Mastro told me they ran out of it and getting them today and shipping it to me today. Let's wait and see, at least they haven't charged my cc yet so that's okay with me.

edit: Just called Mastro and they got the parts and they are shipping it out today. I asked them about the part number that you supplied and they don't know that number. The part number that they are using is H501SAG010 and they told me that is the number that they are using for the Legacy

http://www.subaruparts.com has them "usually ships in 4-10 days" right now for $198.03. http://www.1stsubaruparts.com lists them at $187.16. Don't know whether they have them in inventory or not but you could email or call them.

SBT

Yes, these were two of the three dealers that told me that Subaru had no stock on the part yet. I have been checking every couple weeks since I bought the car (10/20) with the same story each time.

We will just have to see what Mastro does :)

Steve

Which one is the "correct" p/n for the LGT?

H505SAG010 or H501SAG010? They both come up as Autodim w/homelink on the Subaru parts order sites.

SBT

H505SAG010 or H501SAG010? They both come up as Autodim w/homelink on the Subaru parts order sites.

SBT

Duane at subaruparts.com gave me the "505" number as the correct one for the Legacy. It hasn't been disputed by anyone else I have spoken to, and I have mentioned that it is for a LGT each time.

Seems like a big P.I.T.A. for a garage door opener. I have an older Genie with 9 security switches, and the only openers available for it are huge. I want the Homelink so that I can put something in the dash cubby besides the stupid door opener.

Steve

Duane at subaruparts.com gave me the "505" number as the correct one for the Legacy. It hasn't been disputed by anyone else I have spoken to, and I have mentioned that it is for a LGT each time.

Seems like a big P.I.T.A. for a garage door opener. I have an older Genie with 9 security switches, and the only openers available for it are huge. I want the Homelink so that I can put something in the dash cubby besides the stupid door opener.

Steve

Steve,

Wasn't questioning whether you were using the right part number or not, just commenting that they both come up on the Subaru parts sites as Autodim w/homelink.

WRT your Genie GDO, does it plug into an outlet on your garage ceiling? If so, you could wire it so that you don't need the remote and just use an X-10 controlled outlet which can be run from your homelink equipped mirror. Just a thought. Or, just wait until it breaks then get another with a smaller remote or homelink capability. It would probably just hang on forever just to spite you though. ;)

SBT

Steve,

Wasn't questioning whether you were using the right part number or not, just commenting that they both come up on the Subaru parts sites as Autodim w/homelink.

WRT your Genie GDO, does it plug into an outlet on your garage ceiling? If so, you could wire it so that you don't need the remote and just use an X-10 controlled outlet which can be run from your homelink equipped mirror. Just a thought. Or, just wait until it breaks then get another with a smaller remote or homelink capability. It would probably just hang on forever just to spite you though. ;)

SBT

I wasn't questioning your questioning :p I am wondering why Subaru has two different part numbers for the mirror. The Imprezza and WRX that co-workers own and my Legacy don't ever seem to be here at the same time, so I haven't been able to compare mounts between the two.

The Genie does plug into a ceiling outlet. It isn't listed in Homelink's info as being non-compatible, so I ASSume it will work, if I ever get the stoopid mirror :( I would have purchased a smaller remote a long time ago, but Genie only makes the larger ones for the older openers. It is a circa 1990 3/4 HP screw drive model, attached to a well-lubricated metal door, so I expect it to keep working for another 20 years or so :rolleyes:

Steve

SBT

Mastro told me that they don't know about the 505, but the 501 is for the LGT, I asked them about it, I keep you guys posted when my mirror comes in

my mirror came in today it has the 501 part number, installation took like less than 30 min. :)

Did it mount to the factory mount on the windshield, or did you have to glue on a different one?

(thanks)

Steve

It did mount to the factory bracket on the windshield, everything was plug and play, the only hassle was calibrating the compass, you have to drive your car 360° three times around so you need to find a nice intersection or empty parking lot to do that

I think I posted this somwhere else, but when I went looking for the Homelink, all the dealers had the 505 number and said there were none in stock anywhere in the country, when we researched it a little bit and found the 501 as correct, there were thousands available....

mirror options:

1) basic

2) autodimming (electrochromic) w/ compass PN: H5010LS003 MSRP: 165 Dealer Cost: 119

2) autodimming (electrochromic) w/ compass AND Homelink PN: H501SAG010 MSRP: 239 Dealer Cost: 155

Archived