LegacyGT.com

New Impreza pics

i am not digging the front end of the impret-za in that pic. the '08 supra kind of looks like it has a TVR thing going on in the front.

additional observations:

the '06 nissan sentra kind of looks like a toyota prius.

the angled shot of the miata reminds me of a blue bar of soap ( i dont know why).

the boxster is starting to look slick.

and though i'm not a fan of Vdub, i cant help but like the looks of the GTI. the DSG box is also pretty damn slick as well :D

It is indeed just the video game shots. There are a bunch of other photochops running around about the next generation of Impreza as well, all based on the current body, which I hate to say will be wrong because Subaru is basing it on a new chassis, which supposedly will get back closer in size to it's roots like the 1st gens. Current size is too close to that of the Legacy and any larger would put them both in the same boat.

As for styling, I'm kinda digging the front end on this Saturn Concept...

http://www.modernracer.com/spyshots/spyshotssaturnsky1.jpg

I'm not too surprised that it looks more like a Alfa than traditional subarus. I've read somewhere that subaru recently hired the former chief designer from Alfa Romeo to be their designer. Could this be the direction of the future subaru corporate look? Frankly, I don't think it looks too bad at all, I like the rounder look and have always been a fan of the Alfa Romeo's. If they actually made the 07 imprezza to look like that, I think it would look better than a lot of other cars out there.

I am not a fan of the horseshoe grille theme. It looked good on type 35 bugattis, where they were the same as the narrow body shape. Not on a full fendered road car. It is too "art-school" instead of being good, well thought out design.

Is there any reason that the Rally Cars need to be 4 doors?

The Puegeot 307, Citroen, and Focus are all 2 doors, and other minor entrants probably as well.

I still stand by the fact that the WRX STi would be a bigger hit than it already is if it didn't need to make pretenses about being a four-door. A sleek two door coupe roofline and a slightly more aerodynamic body line, and keeping with the deep chin spoiler, I think would look awesome. (even the two door cars above are "boxy" hot hatch profiles? is there a reason other than the economy car heritage of most of these cars?)

I still maintain that with a little desigh updating, the 2.5RS Coupe was a great idea. The 2.5RS's styling front and rear was a little generic at the time, and the lower roof height at the front than the rear gives it an artificial wedge shape tha the rest of the body didn't pick up. All in all not a bad looking car, besides those two picked nits.

Bring it up to date with agressive front and rear styling and a more coherent side silhouette, with the WRX STi's engineering and drivetrain, and I think it would be a winner. Make it a sleeker fastback hatch, and I think it would be even better.

Believe it or not, I don't mind the outer intake grilles (on each side of the horseshoe center grille) and the headlights flushed above them. Smooth out the center treatment somehow and it could be workable.

I have made comments very similar to Kanoswrx, and it will be unfortunate if subaru goes full bore with a bad front end design. hopefully they will change directions.

Is there any reason that the Rally Cars need to be 4 doors?

The Puegeot 307, Citroen, and Focus are all 2 doors, and other minor entrants probably as well.

I still stand by the fact that the WRX STi would be a bigger hit than it already is if it didn't need to make pretenses about being a four-door. A sleek two door coupe roofline and a slightly more aerodynamic body line, and keeping with the deep chin spoiler, I think would look awesome. (even the two door cars above are "boxy" hot hatch profiles? is there a reason other than the economy car heritage of most of these cars?)

Because the Impreza coupe was removed from the lineup and WRC regulations state that the WRC cars must be based off of a production model. I'll agree, however, that a smaller body style would make the Impreza an even more competitive contender.

Because the Impreza coupe was removed from the lineup and WRC regulations state that the WRC cars must be based off of a production model. I'll agree, however, that a smaller body style would make the Impreza an even more competitive contender.

I know that since Subaru doesn't make a coupe, they don't have one in WRC.

I was just wondering if there were something about WRC rules that makes Subaru somehow less likely to produce a coupe in the impreza line. Evidently it is just a FHI preference, or cost-based decision.

I saw a black 2.5RS coupe tonight, and thought about the comments I made about wishing for a new one. Even a used 2.5RS coupe would make a nice little 4 season commuter and all-purpose/all-weather funster. Especially equipped with a tuned up 04-05 STi or Legacy 2.5GT drivetrain.

As popular as the WRX and STi are currently with the import performance crowd, think of how stellar it would sell if it looked like a sport coupe, instead of a four-door made into a cool car. People wouldn't be saying: " I like the WRX's drivetrain, but I like the looks of the ____ (import coupe inserted here) better.

I used to have a 93 Probe GT, and loved a lot of things about it, except the FWD. A Sube AWD 2.5 Turbo coupe, about the same size as the current WRX 4-door, especially with a fastback-style hatchback would be very cool, and with a hatch and folding rear seats, it would actually be quite practical for one or two people.

The Scion Tc needs a check. A next-gen WRX-Coupe with a glass roof option for the street version would knock a little bit of the smile off Toyotas face! A 300+hp STi version would kick tail and take names, names like RSX-S, Mustang, and many others.

The sedan version already does that, but it needs a new wardrobe that fits and flatters it's atheletic figure. More like a designer outfit, instead of a sweat suit.

Not sure about US, but in Canada, coupes are not selling great. As u know even Toyota is halting production of the Celica. Now we have only the RSX and Tiburon not counting the domestic stuff in the sporty coupe category.

I reckon the 2.5rs coupe will one day be sought after like the AE86 after all it is perhaps the lightest awd sporty coupe available. Works well for club rallies and autoX. Hence I'm gonna hold on to mine eventhough it doesn't fit the Docents and the Farhojlas from IKEA! :D

I'm not too surprised that it looks more like a Alfa than traditional subarus. I've read somewhere that subaru recently hired the former chief designer from Alfa Romeo to be their designer.

Yup you are correct, the Alfa designer moved to Subaru, his last name is Zapatinas or something like that.

I think that is what the new Impreza looks like, the front end matches up closely to the new SUV face. I wonder if the next gen Legacy will adopt that face.

The original pics from the game shoot seem somewhat different to the one on the front of the latest Autoexpress. So the original source does seem to have been grasping for pics, whilst AutoX appears to have something a bit more genuine.

car_portal_pic_17827_t.jpg.271a47fe0c16f3e7d795f4d6db045cca.jpg

spyshotssubaruimprezawrx1.jpg.31884bd4170ca26d53fcd7fc6c230719.jpg

spyshotssubaruimprezawrx2.jpg.afdce9d5d0c3dcc30b4b4748e429697a.jpg

I don't know what we'll get for MY06 if it will look like the current or be an update between MY05 and MY07 where the major update is to come. I am rather sure we won't see something like the WRC images seen above though. MY07 we'll see a full new chassis and model. As for what it will look like and the form factor it will come in is very uncertain at this point.

Numbers for old school models:

1998 (Coupe-only)-2,395

1999 (Coupe-only)-2,300

2000 Coupe-2.880 Sedan-3,225

2001 Coupe-2,026 Sedan-2,065

The interesting part is I see more sedans running around than coupes while a good bit more coupes were made. Saying a sedan isn't as performance worthy in WRC versus a coupe is really not a valid comment at all. They both weigh the same, have the same wheelbase, so what essentially is the argument for a coupe in WRC? I wouldn't mind seeing a coupe return to the Impreza lineup, but I think a solid case must be made to bring the layout back and some lesser selling models like the Baja and OB Sedan should get the knife IMO. Although I think Subaru is not slicing any models right now because they are looking for those big sales numbers over here, which I am very skeptical they will see those numbers they are looking for by 2006 unless something drastic changes also.

It will be very interesting to see what the next Impreza looks like indeed.

what makes the impreza turbo (WRX) such a successful car when it came out in 92/93 was not only it has the performance of 911s of those era but it carries the reliability, value and practicality (espcially in estate form). IMHO, while the coupe Imprezas were special and neat, it's no way indicative of it better than the saloon models.

Not sure about US, but in Canada, coupes are not selling great. As u know even Toyota is halting production of the Celica. Now we have only the RSX and Tiburon not counting the domestic stuff in the sporty coupe category.

I reckon the 2.5rs coupe will one day be sought after like the AE86 after all it is perhaps the lightest awd sporty coupe available. Works well for club rallies and autoX. Hence I'm gonna hold on to mine eventhough it doesn't fit the Docents and the Farhojlas from IKEA! :D

Coupe sales in this country aren't the hot ticket, either. The Celica, however, I think was axed more for not selling due to it's driving characteristics. IMHO, it didn't look too bad. If it weren't WWD, and one didn't need to rev the cajones off of it to get it to move, it might have done a little better. Too bad it never got the All-trac treatment.

Toyota hasn't left the market entirely, though, which is the reason for the Scion tC. More content and more torque.

I think 2.5RS coupes from subaru are going to be a used car "secret stash", as well. They even seem to be holding their value quite well for a 4-6 year old car.

Sube555,

I seem to see a whole lot more standard impreza sedans and wagons, but almost all of the 2.5RS cars I see from that old-school design are coupes. I think I have only ever seen one 2.5RS sedan. Dark blue, silver, black, I have seen coupes in all those colors in the last 6-10 months.

I am by no means suggesting that subaru should abandon their 4door impreza/WRX/STi bodystyle. I'd just love to see a coupe added back into the lineup, adding a healthy dose of style.

In a race on sunday, sell on monday idiom, a gorgeous coupe race-replica would sell even better than a 4 door of the same genre and class. Perhaps a marketing tag team of both coupe and sedan would do well. A competetive WRC coupe from Subaru would essentially be a nod to selling street cars with it's cache. Other than less rear interior room, it would likely not be a racing compromize, (and possibly a boon, with less weight) but it might sell more cars in the showrooms.

Hell, if Chevy can sell that *expletive deleted* of a pile of steel they call the Monte Carlo, just because it barely looks like a nascar... Not a single panel in common, and not even close to the same drivetrain layout. Forget about performance. Pitiful, actually.

At least a Race-rep Subie WRC car has similar specs to it's race ready sister car.

I look at all the other import compact cars that young tuners are working with, and aside from the WRX STi and Evo, they are almost exclusively two door coupes, and popular as much on looks as technical specs. Nobody wants an ugly car, but some people put technical performance way before looks, and others go the opposite way.

A new subaru compact turbocharged AWD coupe would be essentially a double threat. good coupe looks and technical performance. The existing WRX STi certainly looks purposeful, and the technical aspects are certainly there, and that certainly means something, but it isn't what I would consider beautiful. Hopefully, if Subaru designers could pull it off, a coupe would be.

It kills me that the STi can be compared to much higher performance cars, like 996 Carreras, but when you look at them together, which one stirs the blood from a visual standpoint? Think of the same comparison, where the Subaru competes, and looks good next to the Porsche... For about half the price. That would be a treat.

Aerodynamics of a coupe might be good for WRC, as well. I saw some WRC stuff on speed channel the other night, and they were flashing back to past Acropolis rallys, and the Impreza coupe was dressed in blue and gold, and competing then. It could again.

FWIW, I think with the announcement of a forthcoming Audi A5 Coupe (larger GT-style fixed roof coupe) based on the A4 chassis, with a mix of A4 and A6 drivetrains, the Legacy GT should spawn a Coupe version as well. It would certainly beat the pants off a Solara or Accord coupe. It will be interesting to see what the son-of-6series, the new 4 series Bimmer will become.

At least the impreza and Legacy chassis sharing would minimize engineering and tooling costs, compared to subaru trying to generate one or two clean-sheet coupes.

I used to love my beater Mustang hatch, and my 93 Probe GT, for their practicality of hauling stuff in the hatch with the seats folded down, and the fact that they were nicely sized cars for 2 people, and 4 in a pinch.

The probe especially for comfortable, quiet highway transport, with the fun and reassurance of handling, power, and control (5MT) to back me up when I needed a new lane position, or found some tasty twisties. I enjoyed driving that car the most. I just hated the torque steering in low gears.

Now, I want AWD for all-season superiority, performance, and 4 doors for more frequent additional passengers. If my current vehicles had more than two seats, each, which they really don't, I'd be seriously looking for a coupe again. As it stands I'll use the extra 2 doors, but i don't want to give up any performance I would want in a performance coupe. Hence, Legacy GT will likely fill that bill in the future.

If I ever get enough money for a weekend fun car, or a fun commuter, besides my wife's almost daily driver miata, it would be a coupe, and maybe even a modded 2.5RS, or an FD3s RX7, 944 Turbo, or a classic 60's 911. Too many choices at that point.

nevertheless, Choices to the people! and please, for the love of Pete, Subaru get rid of that ugly grille. Not good. You thought you needed to fix the "bugeye" look fast. That was nothing in comparison to what this grille will be. I even kinda liked the bugeye look on the WRX sedan. The new droopy-eye headlights aren't all that stylish, anyway.

Archived