LegacyGT.com

Tahoe SNOWBOARD/SKI thread

super.duper.BL6

Yeah, back in the day I used to do it all the time. Its really sad that now two years in a row, my first day on the slopes has been on a weekend in February :(

My co-workers have been talking of taking a half-day or "sick" day, but there is too much going on at work right now, and we can't seem to find a day where no one has a meeting they "can't miss." Bleh.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, back in the day I used to do it all the time. Its really sad that now two years in a row, my first day on the slopes has been on a weekend in February :(

My co-workers have been talking of taking a half-day or "sick" day, but there is too much going on at work right now, and we can't seem to find a day where no one has a meeting they "can't miss." Bleh.

moan moan moan.... when do you wana go? i know a guy....

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I demoed a never summer and it was so stiff I couldn't carve very well, but it blasted throught the crap like it was nothing. What's the big deal with these boards? My Ride Control was less expensive and seems to work great. Is there something I'm missing out on?

It depends on what you want in a board. I wanted a smooth/damp yet responsive board that was fast and wide enough to fit my size 14s. The Titan TX fit the bill.

As you mentioned it blasts through crud really well, which is important to me. The stiffness is great for high speed carving on wide open runs, and I'm sure it plays a part in the dampness as well. Yes, it's too stiff for me to flex significantly, so I can't bend it to make tighter carves, but I don't mind slipping the board in those situations instead.

Also worth mentioning is that Never Summer has a reputation for building very tough boards that also keep their flex/stiffness pretty much indefinitely. I'm going to use my old board as an early season rock board, so my Titan should last me a very long time.

Edit: Btw, I've seen rumors that the 07/08 Titans aren't quite as stiff as the earlier ones. That said, they're still quite stiff. What year did you demo?

I charged up to sugar bowl for a half day yesterday (sunday). Was hoping to get a 5am start to kirkwood but road was closed. Went to put plan B into action by going to sugar bowl....80 closed due to white out conditions. Went back to bed pissed.

Woke up around 9am and checked roads again. Kirkwood had no access. Decided to make a dash to Sugar bowl for a half day and left at 9:45. Got on the slopes a little after 1 w/o a speeding ticket. 80 was great b/c there was no one on the roads so I could barrel through the snowy roads. I was actually surprised that they had 80 open after driving on it, caltrans is usually very conservative.

I got in 12 runs or $4 per run which is acceptable. Skiing was great. Fresh tracks (mainly due to blowing snow) every run and hardly a sole on the mountain. The visibility was not great but doable. I highly recommend any of the Zeal PPX goggles. Spendy but they are the only company, that I know of, putting polarized/photo chromatic lenses in ski goggles. Also, having a one goggle quiver for a blue bird or a blizzard is well worth it IMO.

I charged up to sugar bowl for a half day yesterday (sunday). Was hoping to get a 5am start to kirkwood but road was closed. Went to put plan B into action by going to sugar bowl....80 closed due to white out conditions. Went back to bed pissed.

Woke up around 9am and checked roads again. Kirkwood had no access. Decided to make a dash to Sugar bowl for a half day and left at 9:45. Got on the slopes a little after 1 w/o a speeding ticket. 80 was great b/c there was no one on the roads so I could barrel through the snowy roads. I was actually surprised that they had 80 open after driving on it, caltrans is usually very conservative.

I got in 12 runs or $4 per run which is acceptable. Skiing was great. Fresh tracks (mainly due to blowing snow) every run and hardly a sole on the mountain. The visibility was not great but doable. I highly recommend any of the Zeal PPX goggles. Spendy but they are the only company, that I know of, putting polarized/photo chromatic lenses in ski goggles. Also, having a one goggle quiver for a blue bird or a blizzard is well worth it IMO.

smith has a real nice polarized goggle too :cool:

smith has a real nice polarized goggle too :cool:

you are right...there r quite a few makers that have put polarized lenses in goggles but Zeal has taken it to the next level with photo chromatic aka darkening of the lenses when exposed to UV light.

You a student at Chico? Alum here. Man do I miss Normal St and a 2am slice from Woodstocks with another stop on the wobble home for a Scrappy Dog.

The memories and hangovers of CHEEEECOH! :wub:

I should mention I spent some time driving around trying different goggles around $80-120 (I'm very particular about my equipment) and found the best in an odd place. I thought I'd end up with some Dragons or Von Zippers or Spys, but instead I am now the proud owner of some Bole $120 goggles after buying the display set from REI for $100. They were by far the most comfortable and had the best outward vision in high or low light. I loved them so much I said I'd take them for $120, but had to take the displays when they were out of regular stock.

This was after my $80 Dragons (only two season old) were ruined after I scraped freezing rain from them with my glove while going down a run and couldn't see. It scraped the purple coating off the front. Here's a pic of me wearing the dragons (in my avy).

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/100B1372-Copy.jpg

you are right...there r quite a few makers that have put polarized lenses in goggles but Zeal has taken it to the next level with photo chromatic aka darkening of the lenses when exposed to UV light.

You a student at Chico? Alum here. Man do I miss Normal St and a 2am slice from Woodstocks with another stop on the wobble home for a Scrappy Dog.

The memories and hangovers of CHEEEECOH! :wub:

alum here as of december :cool:

im in sacramento (rancho cordova) working now, but i still have my place in chico till june, 2 blocks from normal st (3rd &hazel)! what year did you graduate?

im in sacramento (rancho cordova) working now, but i still have my place in chico till june, 2 blocks from normal st (3rd &hazel)! what year did you graduate?

where in rancho?

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Finished May '01. Lived at 3rd and Oak near Craig Hall and Rays liquor.

• 2 weeks later...

Whobaru is comin' to Cali. beginning of April. ne1 think Tahoe will still have snow?

Me last week here in ID \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/DSC01987.jpg

This was right after I let go of a nice grab :rolleyes:

Whobaru....where abouts in ID? I lived in Mt Home for 5 yrs when i was an ankle bitter. Used to ride the school bus to Soldier Mt and Bogus Basin on the weekend ski programs. My old man used to have a ranch in the mountains between Riggins and Hells canyon and my uncle currently has a cabin near Sand point/Switzer. That about covers the state...I have lots of ties/history in ID/MT/WA/OR

Looking like spring conditions from here-on-out. Lots of snow left for spring corn ...kirkwood has 140" base right now.

Archived