LegacyGT.com

The really really really long trip.

Im off on my 2500miles trip on friday and computer is being packed up tomorow morning so this will be my last post for at least 2 weeks I should imagine. Just a couple of questions 1st how bad are the re92's in the snow they have been getting alot in the last few days about 20inches i think the roads will be clear but i will still need snows right? 2nd any tips on preperations for the car? It will be on a trailer behind the penske truck. I will take photo's thoughout the journey and post them on here when i get my computer set up up there.

Thanx

Jack

I can't comment on snow traction, but I can say that during my first encounter with the Re92s in the rain I thought I was going to die. I picked up some Dunlop Winter Sport M3s for $450ish installed. Safety first! :-D
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

wow......Flordia to Montana??? How??

WHY?!?!?!

Son, I'm only in Iowa, but you are sorely mistaken if you think it's just Windy. Try cold that bites into your very being...imagine your SOUL shivering...imagine your nose running, and that freezing to your upper lip...imagine a wind that blows away your very aura and leaves you naked...

dude. You'll see.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Does the Penske truck have snow tires? :lol::lol::lol:

You will need snow tires in Wyoming/Montana. Roads are never 100% clear in winter. You will encounter patches of ice. days after a snowfall.

Often, you'll see tracks of snow on an otherwise clear, dry road. These tracks are snow that has been compressed by vehicle tires into ice. Look for them near intersections when you're sliding through.

You will also notice that highways are often kept clear, but off ramps are not.

Get yourself a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM25s mounted on a second set of set of wheels. They work well on snow/ice, plus they are rated for 130mph, so driving on the highway during dry, cold periods is no problem.

Regular snow tires are Q rated (70mph).

denver's been gettin some snow lately...i have the stock tires on my 08 LGT....i have no problems going or stopping in snow....sure winter tires are nice and would perform better...but as long as you aren't pushing it...they do fine.

I can get my GT through the snow on the stock tires but it takes some careful feet. If 2500 miles is a really really really long trip then what would you consider the 4400 miles I put on my car over Christmas break? :) IA -> NY -> GA -> IA FTW

Funny thing, we made a similar trip last March, but only in reverse. We drove from Denver, CO to Navarre, FL. Navarre is right next door to Ft Walton. I assume you are Air Force and was based in Eglin AFB? The trip was ~1500 miles one way.

The RE92 would be fine in shallow snow, just drive slow. You won't be able to drive through anything deep so don't try it. Since the car is going to be on the trailer there isn't anything you need to do. Just make sure all four wheels are off the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i go here safley and encounterd no bad weather what so ever we came up between those big assed storms last week. Could get the photo's i wanted but got film instead.

Firstly we have had alot of snow here in the last few days and the re92's are doing great!

Hogmeat, i have lived pretty much lived in evey climate, form saudi to scotland, florida to germany. Montana is great! It's not that cold bout 20 though it was 12 today and windy. as long as you are well fed and appropriatly dressed you can deal with pretty much any climate in resonable comfort. In scotland (when i was with the british airforce) we would be dropped out in the middle of the country in -20c tempreture's with 100mph winds and where expected to survive for until we could find civilisation. Im fed up with the heat and humidity of florida oh and those friken hurricanes, thanx for the advice though:)

STG, I wish it did! I was wheel spinning all the way up my road, once we finnally got here, then i saw a snake in the road (not litterally like two bends lol) n i was like uhoh but we made it! I might get some snows but the snow season is almost over and my re92's are doing great so we'll see. thanx for the advice i was watching those side roads very carefully lol and your right its crazy they dont even grit the damn things.

sactojesse, im in nw mt near kalispell and missoula, a little town called bigfork have you heard of it?

UniqueTII, what do i call that erm? either stupid coz ya could bought a plane ticket or you just love the lgt so much that you wanted to spend christmas with itlol. I'd rather do 10,000 miles in an lgt than another 2500 in that damn truck! bench seat with what felt like cardboard stuffing, and an upright back was not fun at all oh and the noise of that deisel and the 30min wait every morn for it to warm up oh and the absoloutly useless suspension oh and the fact that it mearsured nearly 50foot long and the fact that the top speed was about 60 and i could only get that going down hill. The only things i over took where broken down trucks!!!

chenq544, I was out of the RAF by the time i moved to fwb, it is my wifes hometown. So we moved here from saudi where we met. We didnt plan on staying either we bought a sailboat and where gona move to the bvi i got as far as key west when my sailing buddy broke his leg and i didnt want to risk the rest of the trip on my own. Denver was nice and i saw a few lgt's on my quick trip through, erm one sticks out in my mine a obp sedan with tint and black rims. Ring any bells?

well thanks for all the input ill be sure to refer to it if or when the time comes to by some winters

Thnx

Jack

I can get my GT through the snow on the stock tires but it takes some careful feet. If 2500 miles is a really really really long trip then what would you consider the 4400 miles I put on my car over Christmas break? :) IA -> NY -> GA -> IA FTW

I would consider it a little less than half of my nationwide road trip last fall. http://www.yoscott.com/roadtrip/

9200+ miles in under 5 weeks. My Legacy held up great in hot and cold temps, though after 2 days in 10 degree Cody Wyoming was pretty cold and it took an extra second for the engine to turn over!

Archived