LegacyGT.com

Re: Weird Issue with my HIDs

Omen

Just installed the apex HID kit and the install was pretty smooth. I actually was able to route all the wiring through the same hole the factory wiring went through. The lights look great but I have a weird problem that one of you may have had, I need help.

When I turn the key one notch to test the light, sometimes only one light will turn on. But if I turn it off and on again then both lights will work and they stay on when I'm driving. It will alternate as far as the light that does not work so both sides seem to have this problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I check the connections and everything seems to be tight.????

Thanks.

got a multimeter? this is why I took mine out, one of them stopped working and the problem didn't migrate with the bulb it stayed with one side of the car. All the terminals were connected.

If you decide that you want to keep it (you just put it in so I assume you do) the next step is going to be to see where you're not getting power, if the relays aren't clicking in, or if it gets past the relay if the ballast or ignitor is doing it, from there I'm not sure as theres supposed to be a lot of energy in the wire so I'd be careful (dont quote me on that I dont know how much power they are using but I know the way its SUPPOSED to work is a high ignition power and a low running power)

if you find out where the powers stopping you will find the problem.

I beleive on my car that the relay was loose or bad on that side, but I did not have the time or tools to troubleshoot it, so I took it out and went back to horrible halogen.

good luck.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

sorry I was kind of assuming you already had that... do you?

the harness I had had 2 relays and 2 fuses. I still have it, I am going to test it and maybe re-use it if/when I go back to hids. Halogen is annoyingly yellow and dim by comparison.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Just installed the apex HID kit and the install was pretty smooth. I actually was able to route all the wiring through the same hole the factory wiring went through. The lights look great but I have a weird problem that one of you may have had, I need help.

When I turn the key one notch to test the light, sometimes only one light will turn on. But if I turn it off and on again then both lights will work and they stay on when I'm driving. It will alternate as far as the light that does not work so both sides seem to have this problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I check the connections and everything seems to be tight.????

Thanks.

i have this same prob and i have figured out that you have to turn your lights off before you turn your car off. if you turn your car off with them on and then try and turn your car on your hid's will do this. if you ae consistant and do this you should not have a prob!

Thanks for that. I tried it and you are right. If I turn the lights off first before turning the car off and if I turn the car on before turning on the lights I don't have any problems. That makes me feel a lot better.

I am guessing then that you DONT have a direct power from the battery relay'd wire harness? IE you're using the power from the headlight sockets to run the lights? If so, my guess would be the drop in voltage would cause one of the ignitors to have insufficient power when you are starting the car.

I always turned mine off before turning the car off anyway because I felt like the power drop during starting would be bad for them. If you look at factory hid systems like bmws you will see they usually dont fire the hids until after the car starts anyway. (not 100% sure of this, but from external observation it appears to occur)

I've got the same issue here. The only way around it is to turn the lights off when you turn the car off and then turn them back on after the car has started. I'm gonna get a couple of harnesses for my fogs and headlights and see if it helps out.

this makes sense due to the batt power around 12volts and when running around 14.4 volts. That's more than 10% more power.....Plus the drop in voltage when the engine cranks. Just installed mine Sat and I have the same prob. What till I have to explain it to the wifey.:redface:

I test lamp setups for hours with the car not on so no it is not a battery problem.

the problem lies with the kit.

oh and I can turn the car off with them on still or on with them on and its just fine.

make yourselves or order a harness to direct connect to the battery. Your problem could lie within the stock harnessing and relays.

I test lamp setups for hours with the car not on so no it is not a battery problem.....Your problem could lie within the stock harnessing and relays.

I would think that testing lamps for hours without the car on would drain your battery??? if its plugged into a charger, then you won't have any issues turning lights on and off all day...

I do agree with you though; you should run the HID kit directly from the battery... I did a H4 conversion on my Jetta, and i ran it directly to the battery... much brighter... I used the power from the old headlight harness to power the relays to turn the headlights on. also i'm not sure about HID's but with Halogens relay kits, i was told that you can run them directly from the alternator instead... more power directly to them... but i'm not sure how I feel about that.

Archived