LegacyGT.com

weird idle issue

Just today, my Subie has started doing this weird thing when idling at, say, a stop light--the engine revs up and down, rhythmic pattern...what is up with that...also, the CEL came on (I did check the gas cap) and when driving, my Subie was shifting really rough (automatic, 2004 LL Bean Edition, H6)...any suggestions?

Thanks for the autozone info; I found several nearby...so I did set up an appointment with the local Subie dealer next week...if I get the code read at autozone, here's a silly question--what do I do with it? Will the information be honored at the Subie dealer (I think they charge something close to a hundred bucks for plugging my car in...) or will they say something like 'That doesn't matter...we still have to do it...'

And thanks again for all of your help...you are beacons of light in murky waters and I am very grateful to not be getting the runaround here...

PS The guy at the dealership did say something in response to my telling him I'd been reading up on the idle issue on this forum, and that several members had mentioned sticky idles after getting an oil change, which I'd just done, and not at the dealership but where my brother takes his car..he said something about a valve getting stuck open if they started the car before shutting this valve...hmmmmm...the plot thickens!:lol:

Archived