LegacyGT.com

Another clutch pedal noise thread ...

I had my clutch, replaced not too long ago (new throw-out bearing) and a new flywheel .. sometimes when I press the clutch in, it feels like its I am crunching something. I notice, that when I am done driving and I shut the car off, the crunch feeling is completely gone ... there are times when I do drive that the "crunch" feeling is not there. Do I have an issue? Should I take the car back to the place that installed my clutch? (good Shop btw) is this another throw-out bearing issue?

Thanks!

I have a similar problem on my car for the last two months or so. I get a clicking noise that I can actually feel through my shoe when I hit the clutch initially. If I'm working the clutch often, like in traffic, it's not there. However if I go awhile without working it, like on the highway, the first time I hit it I get this click. Had them check it at the dealership last time it was in but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem, which I think is BS since the car does it nearly every time I drive it now. I don't think it's a clutch issue itself, feels more like it's in the pedal assembly, like maybe a bad bushing or pivot pin, something like that. I was going to get under the dash and see whats what myself, just haven't had a chance yet. Maybe something just needs to be lubed. Clutch itself seems to be working the same as always, the click is just annoying though.

• 4 months later...
I recently had this happen to me. As I pulled into the parking lot at work it started doing that exact crunching like thing you just described. It was still doing it when I went to lunch that afternoon, and by the time I got back to the office it had gone away. hasn't done it again in the last week. I wonder if it's close to time for a new clutch. Shouldn't be... but i dunno...

• 3 weeks later...

i have the same clicking problem, but not just with clutch pedal, brake pedal as well. Sometimes when I hit brakes slowly, it won't do it, once I press the brake pedal down further (harder) it clicks. I took it to the dealer initially because of clutch pedal squeaky noise, they lubed it (not sure what exactly-they didn't even tell me they did it until I reached in and felt grease) and clicking is pretty much gone, but the clutch pedal squeaky noise is even worse. I suspect it's a interlock switch. On another dealer, tech told me it's not a interlock switch, it's probably throwout bearing, but I don't think it is. The noise appears only when pedal is completely pushed in, all the way on bottom, so it must be the switch...and it does it no matter if the engine is running or not.

Any clue? Anyone else had these issues and fixed them? What was it?

thx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
hey its happeing on my 09.. anyone know of a fix? i want to take it to the dealer but reproducing the issue is almost impossible, i noticed in the colder months it does not do it, only when its really warm, i also noticed the "clicking" only happens when i fully engage and disengage the clutch once it "clicks" and i do not disengage the clutch it will not make the noise till i pull my foot off the clutch and let it disengage.. im thinking maybe i can tell them to just lube it.. its so annoying, makes me hate driving the car when it happens

• 1 year later...

I'm reviving this thread.

Since I got my 2.5i (January), I've had similar observations with the clutch and I'm hoping someone can help identify what is really going on. It actually has stalled once now and is screeching/squealing when I clutch (no noise when running in a gear).

Clutch felt great when I got the car but had a slight bit of extra white noise with the pedal depressed. Thought it might be normal but also could be a problem. Car had 130k miles, high for a 2008 and I thought maybe the guy just traded it in because he had an indication that the clutch was going so why not trade up or something, I dunno.

Anyway, about a month ago it started making some noise when I would clutch, whirring scraping but not terrible. It did this for about a day and ha half and then went back to normal. Then yesterday after my commute home, it started with a louder screeching/scraping noise and I felt something like you feel when you activate those neon glow sticks by snapping them. When I push clutch pedal, it feels like I'm breaking a glow stick or that the path of resistance is broken and uneven. It also stalled one time when downshifting to 2nd at a light.

Any news on this anyone?

• 1 month later...
I have my car in the shop right now for the same issue. Most likely it's a throw out bearing. I'll update when I know what it is. There are a couple of other threads out there with pics of shredded TOB's and noise descriptions. What you have going on with your clutch is the same thing that mine was doing for the last four days. Your symptoms are probably only the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Throw out bearing was in pieces. Clutch disc and plate were in pretty good shape though. I replaced them and cut the flywheel but probably didn't really need to. They were not more than 6 months old IMO (probably done at the dealer where I bought it). But since it was apart...

In hind sight, I would have just installed the TSK1 (transmission sleeve kit) and been done with it. Would've saved $250 (stock clutch kits and flywheel cutting).

FYI, on my 2008 non-turbo, the manual said to offset the pressure plate (marked by indentation dot) at least 120 degrees from the clutch plate (painted dot). Noticed this last minute and had to take it back off and rotate. Must be a balancing issue.

Oh, and my flywheel was officially a "single mass" but in two pieces fastened together.

• 3 years later...

Archived