LegacyGT.com

Anybody Use Tire Rack's $29.99 Torque Wrench?

hal9e3

This looks like a really good deal. I'll definitely consider buying one once my Craftsman craps out (which shouldn't be too long since they only seem to last about 5 years), but I'd be very interested in hearing anyone's experiences.

can't you take your Craftsman to Sears for replacement when it breaks?

Nope, their lifetime warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches. You can send them back for recalibration in some cases. It only costs $50 - about the same as a brand new TQ WR on sale.

I've got it. I really only use it on the wheels and I've had it for 3 or 4 years now. I've no idea how accurate it is on torque, but it does the job for me.

What do you use for the rest of your TQ WR needs?

It looks no different than a $20 chinese made torque wrench that you can get from Harbor Freight or Schucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=239

I don't rebuild engines so I only needed one for lug nuts and torquing bolts with gaskets / copper washers so I bought the cheapie one.

I have a digital torque meter that sits in between the torque wrench and the socket. I used that to check the accuracy of the cheapie torque wrench. My 1/2" drive is within +-5 ft-lbs at 90 ft-lbs but below 50 ft-lbs, the accuracy is quite poor. IIRC, it was still +-5, but as a percentage, the accuracy is bad.

On the other hand, I bought a 3/8" torque wrench and the accuracy was completely off. Not even close. It may have been broken. Harborfreight has a great return policy so I just returned it.

I have a Craftsman that handles 20-150 ft-lb, a Snap-On that handles 10-100 ft-lb, and another Craftsman that handles 20-240 in-lb. The latter I bought to use on my bikes but it does come in handy occasionally on the autos as well. BTW Snap-On TQ WRs don't have a full lifetime warranty as many people mistakenly believe. They have a lifetime MECHANICAL warranty but only a 1 year CALIBRATION warranty. I broke the ratchet on mine and got it fixed by meeting the local Snap-On rep along his route and having it done while I waited. Pretty handy.

Archived