LegacyGT.com

What do you recommend...Springs, Sways, etc?

HansGT

I'm looking into tightening up my suspension a bit on my legacy. I don't want to drop a lot of cash or drop the car more than 1 inch. I just want better response when going through the twistys (exit ramps) and not sacrifice the great daily driver ride quality. Any recommendations.

I'm looking into tightening up my suspension a bit on my legacy. I don't want to drop a lot of cash or drop the car more than 1 inch. I just want better response when going through the twistys (exit ramps) and not sacrifice the great daily driver ride quality. Any recommendations.

Sounds like you might like either the STi Pink lowering springs or the Swift springs.

here's a review of the pinks:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5438&highlight=pink

and another:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5350&highlight=pink

Let us know if you have any questions.

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams

http://www.racecompengineering.com

sales@racecompengineering.com

Racecomp Engineering LLC.

9123 Old Annapolis Rd. Suite 103w

Columbia, Maryland 21045

410-730-RACE

410-730-5503 FAX

410-707-0108 mobile

Myles,

I've read a thread where people say the pinks are the same as the swift springs, that swift makes the pinks. Is this ture?

There is a price difference...what about performance/ride difference?

Also, are there any other color options?

And does your company install?

Thanks!

Myles,

I've read a thread where people say the pinks are the same as the swift springs, that swift makes the pinks. Is this ture?

There is a price difference...what about performance/ride difference?

Also, are there any other color options?

And does your company install?

Thanks!

yes we install,...

the ride quality is close, but slightly different,...no color options that I know of.

Yes. Begin with a JDM 20mm rear sway bar, and a performance alignment. These two things will significantly improve turn-in and handling. If you want to go farther, there are a number of spring options, from the STi springs, to the Swifts...even Eibach makes a set. Other companies, such as Tanabe and Tein, are also working on springs.

Kevin

I did a search on performance alignment and did not find a definitive thread. What are the specs you are referring to?

Cheers!

I had mine set at -.9 at the front, with 0 toe at the rear. Car feels awesome. Rear camber isn't adjustable on our cars, but toe is. You can fiddle with it to enhance turn in, etc, dependent upon what you want.

Kevin

I had mine set at -.9 at the front, with 0 toe at the rear. Car feels awesome. Rear camber isn't adjustable on our cars, but toe is. You can fiddle with it to enhance turn in, etc, dependent upon what you want.

Kevin

Can you pint me to a resource to read up on the various alignment combinations? This is something I have never played with before.

Don't have a resource, sorry. I discovered this by essentially being told it by someone who knew better. He was an excellent alignment guy at a local BMW race shop, who is, alas, now gone. But they were numbers similar to those used on my WRX wagon (-1 at the front, slight toe in at the rear in that case, as the WRX had more inherent understeer than the GT). They've always worked, and I didn't see a lot of reason to fiddle with 'em.

Kevin

you can go to www.whiteline.com.au they have alingment specs that you can use

I couldn't find anything specific here - what link is it listed under?

New question: on the Whitline site there is the following comment:

"There's no such thing as too much positive caster "

Does positive, in this case, mean MORE inclination to re-center, or less? I'm curious as I would like to have slightly more caster to give the steering more of an on-center feel.

Feel free to correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology here.

• 1 month later...

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/images/wheelangles.jpg

Positive is rearward, negative is frontward tilt of the spindle steering axis.

Think of a bike, the forks noticeably lean back towrds the handle bars, which would be positive caster.

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams

http://www.racecompengineering.com

sales@racecompengineering.com

Racecomp Engineering LLC.

9123 Old Annapolis Rd. Suite 103w

Columbia, Maryland 21045

410-730-RACE

410-730-5503 FAX

410-707-0108 mobile

• 2 weeks later...
Myles, I just saw your post above. Looks like we're on the page - more rake in the bike example gives more trail, making the bike exhibit stronger recentering (stability). This = positive caster, which is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Archived