LegacyGT.com

Blizzak WS-60 (new model)

kenzo

I put a set of WS-60s on my LGT S.B last week (set of wheels/tires/sensors from Tire Rack).

These are the best winter tires I've used, and they're much better on dry than the previous WS-50s - less squirrelly at speed and during manuevers; road noise not bad at all.

Highly recommended.

This is good news. I've had WS-50's on other cars and was always impressed with snow traction but they were teh uber suck in the drive. SO for the LGT I got Dunlop M3's and while they are good I still don't have teh same confidence I have in the wifes A4 with Bridgestone RE960's.

How are they in the wet/rain? I remember that being the absolute worst quality of the WS-50.

It's been frozen here (New England) since I put them on, so I don't have an answer yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and rainy, so I'll update this thread with some wet/rain performance impressions.

Cheers,

kenzo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kenzo - just curious. Did you have to visit a dealer to register the tire rack sensors for the TPMS? Any problems? I'm also in NE, and am curious about this process. I called a couple of dealers and they seem pretty clueless about the whole idea of separate rims/snows and dealing with TPMS.

Thanks!

I'll be interested to hear more review on these too. I've noticed them at the shop a few times and thought they looked a little more aggressive and looked to be an improvement over the WS-50 they replaced. I've been very happy with my LM-25, and with how well they've done in the mountains, I don't know that I'd feel the need to go all the way to a WS-60 ... but if they do really well, I may consider it when it comes time to replace the current winter rubber.

Be sure to update in the Compendium of Tire Reviews stickied in this forum.

Hi Kenzo - just curious. Did you have to visit a dealer to register the tire rack sensors for the TPMS? Any problems? I'm also in NE, and am curious about this process. I called a couple of dealers and they seem pretty clueless about the whole idea of separate rims/snows and dealing with TPMS.

Thanks!

I haven't yet visited a dealer to register the sensors - just been living with the indicator light for now. I'll need an oil change in a week or so and will ask them to take care of the sensors at the same time.

The tires continue to be very good on snow, good on ice, and good on dry (for aggressive snow tires). Hasn't been any sustained rain around here for me to report on.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally had some heavy rain around here for me to report on. The updated bullet list:

Snow: Very Good

Ice: Good

Dry: Good (for aggressive snow tires)

Wet: Good traction, although hydroplaning resistance seems Average.

• 2 weeks later...
I put a set of these on my factory wheels. The ride is very quiet and smooth even running 42psi front and 40psi rear. I went from my 18's so take that into consideration. The handling is good. I have cornered them hard and they seem stable and predictable. I am pleased with the snow and ice performance it is very good to say the least. If you are looking for a performance tire this one is not bad, but there are better choices. For great snow, ice and rain this is it. You have to give something up to get what you need...dry performance, snow, ice, etc. This tire fits the Outback perfectly in my opinion. This tire is very well balanced in all aspects, but it shines in nasty winter conditions. I would buy them again and I can't say that about a lot of the tires I have run. I am very picky about my tires and this one is a keeper.

The Blizzak WS60's are on the stock O/B rims, and they're better handling with lighter steering than the JUNK stock RE92A's on the dry pavement..... And it's a fair comparison since both were new. Now we just need it to SNOW!! Thanks.

Anyone want some RE92a's with 500 miles on them?? :^)

Archived