LegacyGT.com

clutch poll

highlander

What's the best clutch package for daily street use?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best clutch package for daily street use?

• OEM LGT clutch & FW
    • OEM WRX Clutch & FW
    • ACT full surface disc & Streetlite FW
    • SPEC full surface disc & LW FW
    • OEM clutch & SPEC or ACT LW FW
    • Other - please explain your recommendation

OK so at 30k my stock clutch is slipping at Stg 2+ power.

Warranty will replace the stock clutch, but what should I go with?

A. Stock LGT slutch/FW assembly

B. Stock WRX clutch/FW assembly

C. ACT LGT/WRX clutch/Streetlite FW

D. Spec clutch/FW

E. Stock clutch/Spec FW

F. other - please describe

This car is a daily driver with occasional spirited driving. No hard launches ever, but some 0-60 sprints after soft start.

Average terrain is rolling hills, so I have to start on a grade often.

Driveability is a concern, as well as durability with current power (or more in the future).

If you chose more than one, explain the pros/cons of each.

Thanks for the advice.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

1) Its driver error

2) there are already a 100 threads just like this one

3) go search on #2

4) Phil the magic kind if he tells you its not magic

1. It's not, thanks. slips in 5th from 3-3.5k under acceleration. No other time yet.

2. I'm sure there are. I'm used to flames so do your best.

3. I've read through the searches. I am trying to gather some data in a friendly manner.

4. subaru.com specifically lists on the warranty pages under 2005, "Wear Items Limited Warranty - Wear item coverage for all models is 3 years or 36000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades."

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

1. It's not, thanks. slips in 5th from 3-3.5k under acceleration. No other time yet.

2. I'm sure there are. I'm used to flames so do your best.

3. I've read through the searches. I am trying to gather some data in a friendly manner.

4. subaru.com specifically lists on the warranty pages under 2005, "Wear Items Limited Warranty - Wear item coverage for all models is 3 years or 36000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades."

1) the reason it slips is driver error for the last 30k miles

2) Good

3) Stock it works everything else has proven to blow nutz

1) the reason it slips is driver error for the last 30k miles

2) Good

3) Stock it works everything else has proven to blow nutz

1. Nahhh... not error just normal use. Now my wife is another story all together. She even banned herself from driving my car anymore.;)

2. And in reference to your Avatar, my profession uses the term squirrel in a negative manner, often synonymous with Tick.

3. Even stock the clutch will fail, as others have shown (some just earlier than others), with the improper application of force:p.

Well I guess they 'should' replace it under warranty. I would be willing to concede quietly IF I had driven this car in the manner I had driven my RX7. But again, extremely modded, driven to tears, and that clutch still went 100k.

1. Nahhh... not error just normal use. Now my wife is another story all together. She even banned herself from driving my car anymore.;)
how many times did she drive it? that could be part of the problem.

I'm at 37K and well past stage 2. my clutch works great. (knocks on wood)

how many times did she drive it? that could be part of the problem.

I'm at 37K and well past stage 2. my clutch works great. (knocks on wood)

a total of 5 times.

twice with me, and 3 days (to/from work) when she 'had' to.

I know she slipped it too much on one particular hill after she stalled it 3x.

She doesn't manage manual trannys well.

Actually...my clutch would have been replaced under warranty had I still been in Warranty... and I'm stage 2.5.... Not to mention I had a turbo replaced under warranty....

results will always vary on warranty work requests... it's about as well known as the fact that there have been 60 or some odd posts lately about clutches....and we know how messy and unorganized all of that has been

now...highlander...if your clutch is being replaced under warranty..how will they handle the parts choices you have listed? I'd imagine they would want to use stock parts?

I was in the same situation as the OP and COULD have gotten my clutch replaced under warranty. They were completely unconcerned w/ my Stage II status. Wish I had gone w/ OEM replacement - my UR setup is a bitch to drive smoothly, altho it seems to be lasting longer than some of the other aftermarket setups out there. If you want yours done under warranty you'll HAVE to use the OEM parts. Also, once the aftermarket parts go in - NO CLUTCH WARRANTY FOR YOU!!! Also, to the poster who attributed the OP's (and by extension my) clutch failure to driver error - well, there sure are a lot of error-prone drivers on this forum.

Actually...my clutch would have been replaced under warranty had I still been in Warranty... and I'm stage 2.5.... Not to mention I had a turbo replaced under warranty....

results will always vary on warranty work requests... it's about as well known as the fact that there have been 60 or some odd posts lately about clutches....and we know how messy and unorganized all of that has been

now...highlander...if your clutch is being replaced under warranty..how will they handle the parts choices you have listed? I'd imagine they would want to use stock parts?

Glad to hear. My dealer seems CS oriented, but he's also a little conservative.

The dealer REFUSES to install non-Subaru parts right now (may get that changed with some discussion). If they won't install the ACT kit, then plan B is to ask for the OEM '06 WRX FW/clutch. Plan C - another clutch and DMFW:redface:.

If SOA pays, I'll take what I can get for free. Now is a BAD time for a big $$ repair.

Side topic: Heard from a source hear that SOA directs dealers to not warranty if FW/PP/Clutch shows signs of tempering (blueing of metals).

Wouldn't continuing to drive a car with a slipping clutch create the same signs to some degree? I only ask as the dealer was notified Tuesday that it was slipping and he hasn't asked me to not drive it until they look at it.

Archived