LegacyGT.com

Mixed Pads?

ADirtyLegacy

Can anyone chime in on having different front and rear compound pads? Is this good, bad, indifferent?

I'm getting the fronts put on today and the tech checked out the rear and there was only 10% left, so I told him to go ahead and do the rear with the pads they have even though I have a different compound on the front. Now I should be able to come to a safe stop from 75mph.

Kenda

I recently installed a set of Greenstuff pads on my nephew's Monte Carlo. The instructions say because these pads grip so well, they should not be installed on the rear if you're not using the same on the front. Putting them on the front alone isn't an issue, presumably because the weight transfer under severe braking puts most of the effort on the front. You would not want better performance on the rear axle to avoid the rear locking up first. With anti-lock brakes, I'm not sure this would be an issue.

I recently installed a set of Greenstuff pads on my nephew's Monte Carlo. The instructions say because these pads grip so well, they should not be installed on the rear if you're not using the same on the front. Putting them on the front alone isn't an issue, presumably because the weight transfer under severe braking puts most of the effort on the front. You would not want better performance on the rear axle to avoid the rear locking up first. With anti-lock brakes, I'm not sure this would be an issue.

ahhh, didn't think about the grippy part. yeah i guess you don't want super grippy brakes on the back....as that could lead to a big event! i'm less worried now!

Kenda

Archived