LegacyGT.com

Strong smell of burnt clutch + ticking noise

f1anatic

I got stuck in the snow yesterday pulling out of a parking meter spot.

I put the car into 2nd, revved to about 2000 rpm and slowly released the clutch. Blue smoke coming out right away. Stinks still heavily.

Car drives. But at idle there is a ticking noise not previously heard which is cyclic - every 2-3 seconds, from around the pulleys area. The place that stinks the most is actually the ABS module on the right side of the car. Fluid levels ok.

I am a little confused. I have started the car in 2nd gear before. I did not rev it like crazy. I have never had the issue with smoking clutch or whatever else (initially uphill and reverse uphill is a different story). This was/is a very heavy burnt plastic/rubber smell not the usual "fart like" smell from the clutch.

I am taking the car to the mechanic but i would like to hear the forum impressions. What did i break.

The problem with the clutch is you don't know anything till it goes. The mechanic can make guesses to what he things but to find out you take it out and at that point put a new one in.

Its all in your head give it a few days of driving before taking it in.

I checked it out at the mechanic today. Nothing leaking, nothing broken, burnt (at least visibly). I suspect the clutch got seriously glazed . From the brief tests I made...5th gear holds a 40 to 80 mph acceleration. But the smell keeps coming.

Archived