LegacyGT.com

Do I really need the endlinks and reinforcement brackets?

TPLGT

I really don't understand why we're still talking about brackets - the cobb sway set you said you're going to buy comes with the reinforced brackets, so why would you decide not to use them? I mean, I can understand having the discussion for purely academic purposes, but practically speaking, the point is moot, right?

The endlinks are a different matter, however.

BEacuse I want to see what it takes to break a stock one...why so pissy?

Rehab is for quitters.

How much beating do you need to do to break the stock brackets?

Not much. Keep in mind thick bars with stock springs/shocks put a greater beating on the brackets than someone with coilovers and sways.

e.g. stiffer springs / shocks will deflect less so less work is done by the sways.

Wagaon, swifts, cobbs f/r sways, and stock links. No clunking with the revised rear Cobb sway. For $200 for a set of endlinks, I'd forget it. The spherical bearings are exposed and I've read too much about them binding up with all the grit that gets in them. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there to make them worthwhile.

BEacuse I want to see what it takes to break a stock one...why so pissy?

Sorry, didn't mean to be pissy .. it was the end of a REALLY long day. Anyway, hopefully you'll never have to find out what it takes to break the stock brackets, since you'll have new, better ones with your new bars. :icon_bigg

I have 15K on my Cobb sway bars (F&R)...30K on the car. Took FR wheel off to check the brake pad only to find out that one of endlink ends had popped out of its socket (no, it cant be pushed back in as the little "cup" is gone). Now, someone please help me do a cost/benefit analysis of buying the aftermarket ones... :-)

If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I'd do anything differently, but if you don't get the endlinks with the sways, I suppose you should expect them to fail at some point. And FWIW, only street driving for this legacy.

cusco bars will clunk because the hole in the bushings are too big, watch out for that too.

Holy crap. That totally makes sense. I mean, it was the only thing that was loose in the rear end. Now, off to find some slightly smaller bushings. Any leads?

Guest Gitster
I am looking at Perrin 25mm Front & Rear Ajustable Sway bars. The King of Parts website said "Perrin also includes new support brackets for the stock mounts to compensate for further stress". Is this the reinforcement brackets?

Here is the link http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=307

Yes. I have them and they are holding up fine (mounts and reinforcement brackets). The Perrins do clunk w/ AVO End Links though. Not sure if its the bushings or end links or exhaust etc. I beleilve it is the end of the sway hitting the unibody though, maybe I have to adjust the end links. They are not easy to adjust though.

• 2 months later...

Archived