LegacyGT.com

Headlight restoration (with toothpaste and pics!)

I'm going to agree with MiniStiGuy. There is the right way, then there's the other way. The other way might get results, but they won't be optimal. The right way really is to give the lenses a proper wet-sand and then polish out. It will get much better results and will take less time. You COULD polish for hours and hours with Toothpaste and get the same results, but why would you?

I used Crest Whitening, but the guy at the auto shop uses Colgate. I don't think it really matters. Probably you would want the simplest paste you can find in order to prevent any potential reactions with the headlights.

I would have wet sanded, but I have never done it before and am nervous about taking sandpaper to the car. I think I'll have to learn soon because there is a scratch on the bumper of one of the other cars. I guess it's time to buy a PorterCable...

• 2 weeks later...

You can't just buff the headlights clear, you have to polish them. You will only get them clear again by abrading them, not with wax and a cloth.

What grit did you use on the lens when you wet sanded?

What are you using to polish out?

where the **** are you people getting this 2000 - 3000 grit sand paper from? I've looked everywhere 150 is the finest I can find (which is extremely fine), maybe I'm retared or have been away from the states too long to have common sense, maybe I'm reading these things wrong? However what I have sanded with has made my head lights much, much smoother then what they were before, but much more foggy with small scratches? I looked at home depot, ace and walmart for 1k- 2k-3k grit, and it's not too be found? WTF? I'm so frustrated with this clearing of the head light(s) thing, however on a side note the Apexcone HID 4.5k kit turned out great! (worth the cash)

I have buffed with the 3m rubbing combound/(wax), it'snot making any difference?!?!?!

maybe I'm not the best or even doing this wetsand thing right, someone please help everything at this point on the car is awsome, minus the headlights! :(

ministiguy your worng about toothpaste just covering it up, toothpaste is and abrasive(many contain fine sand and antifreeze,thats why i use natural toothpaste)thats how it brightens your teeth and thats why it restored headlights.... its just like wetsanding it...

Gentalmen/Ladies, let me start by saying I feel like such a jackass for posting the fact that I hadn't used 1/2k paper,after speaking with Brady; Thank you "Brady"!! My headlights look as new as they would of when they rolled of the production line, very happy with the results. I used mothers mag, not toothpaste, but holy .... it made a world of difference.

Let me also say that I will never, ever drive another vehicle without an apexcone 4.5k HID kit, a world of difference; I light the road for other vehicles ahead of me!!! Apexcone & HID are the ....!!!

wrong. the toothpaste actually polishes the surface.

+1

def worth trying. a complete sanding job really isnt worth the time unless replacements arent avail or if your lamps are REALLY BAD. I spent hours sanding down and polishing a friends lamps. looked new when done, but def not worth it if you ask me.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived