LegacyGT.com

why do we justify re- engineering a new car/part

Hmm, I agree that several things could be improved.

And, sduford, as you said, maybe it is the "almost perfect" thing that point out the shortcomings (but in my eyes they are very few and minor).

On the other side, what about the good features that the Legacy offers?

The Legacy offers a good combination of some superior stuff that other brands or models don't have in their lineup or if they have it they want serious money.

Everybody of us has his own expectations and demands and this guides him to buy a certain model. Obviously the buyers of Subaru cars are a little bit more critical and not so interestend in image. Otherwise they would have gotten a BMW, Audi, Honda or Volvo (and others). But the latter have their own shortcomings, so there are good reasons to buy a Subaru, especially a Legacy.

As already said, there are comprises to make. Let's be happy with the Legacy/Outback as it is now. Maybe the future will bring some improvements.

But it is interesting to see how Subaru in Japan, USA and Europe offers so different options. Only look to the non-available 3.0R in the Legacy, the missing Navi, the different key fobs (here it is again) and so on. (By the way, I have the Navi but only a single zone AAC...) That is a thing that I really can't understand. Must be marketing decisions.

To come back to the topic:

Would it be possible to mod the US key with a JDM key fob (only changing the "metal" key) ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took a ride with a friend that has a 330i about a year old. Before I got the LGT i remember thinking his interior was nicer than my accord ex, and the silky BMW 6 felt smoothly torqy. I was a little worried I might find his car nicer, than the LGT....(amminity's and "feel) To my surprise and delight<As soon as I got in, i realized, his leather was inferior, the dash and controls were less ergonomic and stylish, Door interior, no power seats (muchless heat), And most of all... The ride didnt seem as nice, muchless firm and grippy as the LGTs AWD! Overall my impression of the LGT compared to the 330i, was that my LGT is a much nicer car, bolth in style and performance! >Sorry Santiago. and Britan...jajajajaja

It is obvious that the key fob and key are too big to fit in your pant's pocket or whatever small space you put it in, which leads to the buttons being squeezed and the car being unlocked that btw I have never experienced.

Therefore the only solution is to not put them in your fscking pant's pocket, instead hook it to your pant's belt or hold it in your hands or put it in your jacket's pocket.

Stop whining like a bunch-0-babies. You should have tested the sensitivity of the fob before buying the car. You are at fault here. STFU.

So let's assume Subaru took your advice and redesigned the fob to satisfy you, can you give me a 100% guarantee that nobody else will complain about it? Off course not. Case Closed. QED.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

It is obvious that the key fob and key are too big to fit in your pant's pocket or whatever small space you put it in, which leads to the buttons being squeezed and the car being unlocked that btw I have never experienced.

Therefore the only solution is to not put them in your fscking pant's pocket, instead hook it to your pant's belt or hold it in your hands or put it in your jacket's pocket.

Stop whining like a bunch-0-babies. You should have tested the sensitivity of the fob before buying the car. You are at fault here. STFU.

So let's assume Subaru took your advice and redesigned the fob to satisfy you, can you give me a 100% guarantee that nobody else will complain about it? Off course not. Case Closed. QED.

Mojo

well put. perhaps one of the reasons why the US market gets shafted of the goodness that the euros and japenese get to reap is because we bitch too much about small petty crap. nothing seems to be good enough for us. also, good point about testing out the key fob before sealing the deal on the car. it's in true form that us americans shift responsibility away from ourselves and onto something or someone else.

but hey, that's just me.

Huh? If anything the US market is the least demanding of feature content. All we seem to care about is engine size/cylinder count, interior space, and how many cupholders there are. The Ford Mondeo wins award after award in Europe. We never see it because it would be priced too close to a Taurus. It's smaller than a Taurus, and US customers just wouldn't understand why they should pay more for a smaller car. The smaller car is lighter, handles light years better, and has much better interior materials. The Ford Focus was just redesigned, and yet we won't see it here in the US for several years. It's not just Ford either. Subaru, for example, didn't bring a turbo car to the US for several years after the last turbo Legacy, because apparently Americans can't do simple math. We CAN apparently count to eight, and therefore prefer more cylinders rather than turbocharging. Over and over, USDM cars have been decontented compared to their European and Japanese versions. I'm not sure whether I'm ranting at the carmakers for squeezing a little more profit out of the USDM's willful ignorance, or ranting against the pig-headed American buyers who can't seem to get the concept of quality over quantity very well. Oh well, I'm pissed off at somebody.

As is usual with message board contentiousness, I give up. Subaru sucks, and there's a laundry list of things limiting the greatness of the Legacy. You're absolutely right.

Kevin

Fogging - works every time ;)

Every owner will "notice" something about their "individual" car that creates a ? in their mind about that something (see comment below). In the large majority of cases, I think, it comes down to preference for something that we've experienced before (some feature or ability in a previous vehicle), or an expectation based on what we "thought" we were getting at some price point.

IMHO - What we may consider a "weak" design is really an intentional product/feature intended for an interim or short run while customer satisfaction data (e.g., J.D. Powers CS) is compiled or the next generation of that feature is introduced.

Subaru owners are some of the most educated, technically sophisticated and enterprising individuals you'll run across on a daily basis. We're full of curiosity, "need" to know how things work, and typically aren't content until we've figured it all out. On the opposite side of that thought is that we're also content to rethink/reengineer things to make them work the way we think they should work. I think this is normal for Sube owners and is a trait that separates us from the general car-buying public.

Everything I've heard in this post falls somewhere across this spectrum of owner inquisitiveness, expectation and desire to "fix" things.

And if this doesn't make a crap pile of sense, I'm claiming complete ignorance...

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Subaru, for example, didn't bring a turbo car to the US for several years after the last turbo Legacy, because apparently Americans can't do simple math. We CAN apparently count to eight, and therefore prefer more cylinders rather than turbocharging. Over and over, USDM cars have been decontented compared to their European and Japanese versions.

Cough ... at least Germany didn't get the 2.0 TT in the 2nd and 3rd generation. Because if we did, my mother would ride that thing now (instead she got my former 3rd gen Legacy 2.5i).

AND, till now we can't buy the Legacy 2.5 Turbo from a german dealer! Only the Legacy 3.0R, that is not available in US :confused:

I think the 2nd/3rd gen Legacy Turbos only were offered in RHD countries (Japan/AUS/GB and New Zealand). I was always jealous till the 4th gen Legacy arrived. ;)

Mojo

Wow, really smart comment, good language skills too. You got me totally convinced now.

Fogging - works every time ;)

Every owner will "notice" something about their "individual" car that creates a ? in their mind about that something (see comment below). In the large majority of cases, I think, it comes down to preference for something that we've experienced before (some feature or ability in a previous vehicle), or an expectation based on what we "thought" we were getting at some price point.

IMHO - What we may consider a "weak" design is really an intentional product/feature intended for an interim or short run while customer satisfaction data (e.g., J.D. Powers CS) is compiled or the next generation of that feature is introduced.

Subaru owners are some of the most educated, technically sophisticated and enterprising individuals you'll run across on a daily basis. We're full of curiosity, "need" to know how things work, and typically aren't content until we've figured it all out. On the opposite side of that thought is that we're also content to rethink/reengineer things to make them work the way we think they should work. I think this is normal for Sube owners and is a trait that separates us from the general car-buying public.

Everything I've heard in this post falls somewhere across this spectrum of owner inquisitiveness, expectation and desire to "fix" things.

And if this doesn't make a crap pile of sense, I'm claiming complete ignorance...

SBT

Actually, my post was a simple acknowledgement of the pointlessness of it all. On message boards, people establish a position. Irrespective of how things in fact are, they will hold to that position, engaging in all sorts of semantic waltzes and shimmies to retain that position. And the debates go on. A simple stipulation..."Yep, you're right," concludes the pointlessness.

Because right or wrong, to go on nattering about something which simply is, is about as crazy as buying a car that doesn't make you completely happy.

Kevin

A simple stipulation..."Yep, you're right," concludes the pointlessness.

Kevin

In the world of interpersonal communications, we call that "fogging". You simply agree/acknowledge that the other's point has been made and keep agreeing (however onerous) until they see the pointless of continuing that line of conversation. Works particularly well with colleagues who want to flagellate the expired Equus Caballus.

SBT

P.S. Steps friends can take to help an Individual understand:

1. Remove object from Individual's butt to disable ANAL mode

2. Make sure Individual has calmed down else taze

3. Read posts to Individual in a slow manner and in their entirety while keeping keyboard out of Individual's hands to avoid impulsize replies

4. If Individual doesn't understand or starts to blabber, repeat steps 2 and 3 till he comprehends, gives up or promises never to discuss the subject again.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Guest *Jedimaster*
In the world of interpersonal communications, we call that "fogging". You simply agree/acknowledge that the other's point has been made and keep agreeing (however onerous) until they see the pointless of continuing that line of conversation. Works particularly well with colleagues who want to flagellate the expired Equus Caballus.

SBT

Also works well with women- "You're right honey- absolutely honey".

Also works well with women- "You're right honey- absolutely honey".

Usually accompanied by "I couldn't be more wrong about that honey." LoL

SBT

SBT

:lol:

Kevin

gtguy Are you saying every car you have ever purchased you loved everything about it. No part of any car you bought was anything bet perfect? Please send me a list of these cars.

Nothing is ever perfect. But I know what I am getting into going in, and whether it meets my needs or not. If it doesn't, I don't buy it. Therefore, I am not "surprised" by things that other people are grumbling about.

No car is perfect. There are always things that won't satisfy some person or the other. If those things are significant enough, that person shouldn't buy the car. But if there are things that aren't a problem, functionally, and that is something that an individual can answer, then yes, everything is just fine and dandy.

What is fine for me, might not be fine for someone else, and vice versa.

Kevin

Archived