LegacyGT.com

How do Stoptech rotors hold up?

fatbastard

I have around 47k on my original OEM brakes and figure they will need replacement soon and saw the recent deal KOP is running on Stoptechs with Hawk HPS', lines and fluid. I had planned on using the HPS' since tehy seem to get universal praise for a street pad but the rotors have always been a question for me. Originally I was thinking if I had the cash I would go with DBA's but these seem to be better suited if I were going to the track. Since this is my daily driver I don't necessarily need better cooling or paint to indicate how hot they get. I had also concidered the R1Concept rotors that are manufactured by Centric but HPS pads and those rotors are just about the same price as KOP's package with lines and fluid. In my searches for info on Stoptech I haven't found much referencing their durability just that their internal vane structure is the same as OEM. So my questions are the following:

How do they hold up for the long haul on a daily driver? (ie corrosion resistance for NJ roads covered in salt)

Is there any benefit to get these over OEM rotors or are they more for looks since they are slotted?

Any real benefit to get SS lines for a daily driver?

Should I just buy OEM rotors and HPS pads and save about 200 bucks?

What condition are your stock rotors in, do they need to be changed? If all you do is daily drive the car and are looking to keep the cash outflow at a minimum, just go with the hawk pads, fluid, and new OEM rotors. You'll get a nice upgrade over stock and won't be out much cash. SS lines will only change the pedal feel and would be the first item to trim off your list.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Yeah I figured the lines weren't necessary but I should be doing a flush so new fluid would be fine. As for the rotors...while I am trying to what the cost I also hate doing things twice or screwing up something new to save a few bucks. In my past experience if the rotors have significant miles on them I am better off replacing them. The hassle of taking them off, getting them turned and putting them back on might be cheaper but it takes nearly twice as long and I may have issues.

The OEM rotors have been fine for me but I was wondering if going to a higher performance pad will start to show some short comings and that possibly a slotted rotor would be better. With the package KOP put together the cost of the rotors isn't much different than OEM. Just wondering if they would be better than stock or not...but my searches didn't find anything that helped...

oem rotors and upgraded pads are fine for 90% of the people here. Unless you are gonna do some weekend track/autox stuff, its all you will ever need. I have stoptech rotors on my car. I would have just kept oem rotors even when autoxing, but i got the RB larger rotor kit for the rear which came with slotted rotors, so i had to match the fronts so it wouldnt look silly.

How long have you had the Stoptechs on? Are they doing OK with NJ winters?

The price KOP gave me on the Stoptechs and pads is basically the same as their web price for OEM and pads...so I am starting to think it might be worth it so long as they don't turn into a rusty mess.

I have around 47k on my original OEM brakes...

Any real benefit to get SS lines for a daily driver?

Should I just buy OEM rotors and HPS pads and save about 200 bucks?

If your doing the SS lines, I'd go ahead and order the solid lines that are on the rear control arms from subaru. At the very least verify your local dealer has them in stock before you start. I did mine at 27K, and there was no way in h3!! the flex lines were coming off amd leaving the middle solid line in decent shape. The KoP can get you the new lines to have on hand. Even with a good flare wrench and lots of PB Blaster, It was a total mangle-ectomy.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 4 weeks later...
Just did an upgrade with Stoptech Fr and RR rotors ,Hawk HPS pads, and Goodridge lines along with Motul race fluid. Man, what an improvment over the stock stuff. I do however like the Carbotech Bobcat pads better than the Hawk ones

FB: You looking at this deal? For F and R pads and FR rotors, $325 seems pretty frickin' good! :D

I'm in the same boat as you. Stockers are warping (for the second time :rolleyes:) and I don't do any track or auto-x. Just trying to find a good deal for replacing the stock rotors and pads up front and maybe get some rear pads if the deal makes sense.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived