LegacyGT.com

ECU reflash

Hey guys,

I am running out of warranty and want to get the ECU reflashed to hopefully eliminate stutter. I have seen previous post that people have said that they got it done by there dealer on the warranty. Is this right? Can i just take it in and get it done or do i need a specific problem? I know I could search for it but there are so many threads on this i dont really want to sipher through them all to get the answer i need. I have got about 800 miles left so i need to take it in soon.

Thanks,

Jack.

I would call the dealer first and make SURE they will do it on demand. Be careful, they might want to test it, and they could claim that they failed to replicate the claimed problem, and might even try to charge you for checking it. :eek:

If you go the Cobb AP route, you can pick up a version 1 from someone on this forum for about $400 (like I did!)

Go in and have them check the symptoms you are having and tell them you were told there is an ECM Reflash available to correct the concern. As long as they have a Subaru Select Monitor 3 they should be able to hook it up and reflash the car while you wait as long as there is a new version available for your ECM.

...if you weren't so far away I'd have you stop by and we'd take care of it...

Can't see why a dealer wouldn't reflash. I mean there aren't any parts involved, even labor and time is minimal. Seems like good customer service. Then again to some dealers customer service is a radical idea.

For S.O.A. to pay a dealer for warranty repairs their must be (#1) a customer concern, (#2) the concern must be duplicated by the dealer and the cause must be documented (#3) and then the concern must be corrected.

If you just walk in and ask for a reflash your asking for a service, S.O.A. won't pay the dealer. If you walk in with a concern (specifically a concern that the reflash corrects) it is then a warranty concern.

In order to pay for all that fancy equipment S.O.A. makes the dealers keep on hand they want to be sure someone is paying for the technician's time so it's all in how ya ask! ;)

For S.O.A. to pay a dealer for warranty repairs their must be (#1) a customer concern, (#2) the concern must be duplicated by the dealer and the cause must be documented (#3) and then the concern must be corrected.

If you just walk in and ask for a reflash your asking for a service, S.O.A. won't pay the dealer. If you walk in with a concern (specifically a concern that the reflash corrects) it is then a warranty concern.

When I got my reflash recently, I specifically asked them if they were going to need to duplicate my stutter before they could give me the reflash under warranty (because I intended to drive the car for them to show them, if the answer was yes). The service manager told me no, that he had as much information as he needed. It was sufficient that he was able to look up the availability of the reflash for the exact problem I was describing ("car hesitates at 3000-4000 RPM"). They didn't charge me for the service.

Who knows how they reported it to SOA though... perhaps they said that they drove my vehicle and felt the stutter.

Archived