LegacyGT.com

Cold wether cracking windshield

dv8ingvector

Bah, I hate the Subaru windshield. I noticed a crack last week, and this morning a rock hit and made another star/bullethole crack. I got both cracks filled in by Safelite, but after they cleaned the glass, and I examined my windshield, I noticed that my windshield has literally dozens and dozens of chips on the surface. Looking at the places where my windshield cracked, it's because two rocks hit in the same area, causing the chip to worsen. In fact, Safelite told me that when they were filling one of the cracks with resin, it started spreading, but they were able to stop it.

I'm going to see if I can take this in for the dealer to look at.. it's ridiculous.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed what I thought to be a scratch in an arch by the drivers side windshield wiper in the black area by the heater element. It looks like the wiper dragged something and scratched it (has the same arch as the wiper direction) except it was out of the wipers reach. I let it be thinking it was a scratch until I went to Safelite to get that and a rock chip (thank god not crack) checked out. They said right away that it's a crack. Brought my car in for service on Friday and they said they'd have to have the service manager check it out. They ordered the glass and made an appointment for me to come back today for their reputable glass company to come and replace the windshield. When the service manager re-examined the windshield, he said it was a scratch because it wasn't all the way through the glass and was reflecting onto the black undercoating of the glass where the heater element is. He sent me to his glass person to see if they could do anything for me (since I didn't want to leave it the way it is). When I got to the glass place he said "Oh no, this isn't a scratch, it's a crack". UGH! It's weird thought...it's almost like a surface crack mimicking a surface sratch. If it didn't have the black below it where the heater element is to contrast against it (and if you weren't able to EVER so slightly get your nail into the groove), you'd SWEAR it was a scratch. Well thank god the glass is in and I bring it back Friday to get the windshield replaced. It will nicely take care of that rock chip too!:D For all the trouble, despite only giving their personal loaner cars to customers who purchased from their dealer, they're giving me a loaner for all my hassles (not a rental) so I can show up at the service department, drop my car, and drive right off in another. Overall I'm happy so far, just hesitant about a windshield replacement with a heater element. I hope I can't tell the difference once it's installed! *fingers crossed*

Finally after two months, the Subaru Rep can look at my windshield that cracked with use of the wiper heater. He found some minute ding (came after the crack happened) and stated that the crack came from the minute ding in the windshield not the heater and that it was not covered under warranty. I showed him a dozen other "dings" on the windshield much more severe than the one he claimed caused the crack and asked him why they did not crack the winshield. He gave me a bunch of verbal salad on why the "minute ding" caused the crack, starting at the bottom of the bottom windshield, under the molding and heater element, 10" from the ding. The crack after 2 months was over 20" long. I asked about the issue of many other windshields cracking at the same place that had been warranteed and he played dumb. I did not waste any more time since the freackled faced "kid" was obviously there (finally) to dodge the issue. Really pissed me off.:mad:

I had windshield replaced same day under winshield coverage. The new windshield came right from the dealer since the glass company could not locate a "thicker" aftermarket replacement. I will be driving today and see if the replacement proceedure eliminated the "wind noise" that was supposed to be repaired under warranty before the windshield cracked when I used the wiper heater.

Bottom line: Bill to insurance company $471.95. Cost to Subaru, one very dissatisfied customer....:mad:

After being sent back and forth between the glass place and the dealer, the glass place convinced the dealer that it was a crack and not a scratch on my windshield by the heating element. Also, there was no impact point so they covered it under warranty. No hassle, thankfully. BUT...unfortunately, while the glass company was at the dealer installing the windshield, they spilled the priming chemical ALL over my dashboard, carpet, radio/climate control, gear shifter, passenger seat, A pillar, and a few other places. It's going to be fixed, free of charge, OF COURSE, but I told them that if it comes back with creaks and rattles I want a new car. Also, I got the glass company to pay for a short throw shifter, the upgraded MP3 radio when they replace the console unit, free service for the life of the vehicle, and free loaner cars every time I service the car (they only give loaner cars to people who purchased at their dealer, which I didn't). The radio unfortunately is on back order. This happened Friday and it MIGHT be ready this Friday. Time will tell. At least I got a new windshield, lol. (I have to laugh otherwise I'd go postal at the dealer for what they did). I took pics in case they get sheisty after it's fixed, but they're 7 MP pics so they're large and I don't know how to post, host, or cut them down. Otherwise I'd share the mess.

What a horror story! When the glass installer did the work at my house, I stayed and watched every move he made from start to finish. Neat, clean, and no spills. I would have gone postal to have the damage you had.

Road trip today and at 95+ no windshield noise. :)

Hopefully I will have better luck with this windshield.

You'd think I'd have learned after the first one...both times I'd used the windsheild wiper defroster (the one laminated into the windshield). I can tell you that a thermal stress crack will start at any surface ding (the stress concentration from a surface scratch is proportional to 1/r^2 of the scratch tip radius - the smaller the scratch, the higher the stress - the reason why glass cutters work - and yes I am a mechanical engineer), but it was most definitely poor windshield design. I don't think Subaru will ever admit a problem (and I think they've got a big one on this issue). For my third windshield I just got the one without the element (much cheaper) and that one lasted. I live in NH and both times it broke the temps were <10 degrees F. Of course the most recent one is now cracked from an 80mph rock, no blaming Subaru for that! Still three (soon to be four) windshields in six years seems like a lot.

Personally my advice would be to not use the windshield wiper heater element. Just use the defogger and set the temperature to high & fan on high - this heats the windshield more evenly and is less likely to cause a thermal stress fracture.

-Zeke

• 6 months later...

3 months, 5.5K miles - four inch crack appeared while we were having dinner at a friend house last night. Passenger side corner up at a diagonal, starting under the molding. No sign of impact.

Off to the dealer to have them check it out. Will report back.

Went to the dealer. They found a pin hole (something a mechanical pencil lead could barely fit in) right at the edge of the windshield. They said that is what caused it. Though I have a dozen in the middle of the windshield that have not turned into a cracks. grrr.. cheap, cheap windshield. :icon_frow

Have you guys heard about a product called "star shield" I think. They put it on Elise windshields becuase they are very prone to cracking as well. It sounds like a clear bra type product. I wonder what would happen if we put clear bra on our windshield. ??? Fine scratches turning into a fog where the wipers drag road grime across it.

Archived