LegacyGT.com

Cold wether cracking windshield

dv8ingvector

Would a front strut tower brace or sub-frame connectors (ala Mustangs) reduce chassis flex as a cause? Or do we just organize a windscreen Group Purchase?

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oops i for got about this one...it does seem that the suby glass is very week and the smallest stone can destroy the hole window, that was final analysis in my case as well, i never new a stone had even hit...so i for one will be getting the, windscreen...anybody know what the deflector are going for?

??? responding to me?

Yeah, you mentioned break-in and your comment reminded me of how one would break in a new set of brake pads. Lame attempt at humor on my part...sorry :redface:

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...

Boooo.... Broke my 2nd windshield since October the other day. No appearant inpact this time, just a 12" long crack from the center of the heater strip acoss the driver side.

I did use the heater strip and defroster to help clear the snow after the storm but I can't belive that alone would do it! This glass is crap and my insurance company is gonna hate me.

• 2 months later...

7500 miles and no cracks until yesterday! First time I have to use the wiper-heating element, and windshield cracks. Crack Started from bottom of windshield right of center at the heating element itself. I am sick and will be at the dealer Monday.

Note: a week ago complained to the dealer about the wind noise from the windshield. Test driven they agreed and told me that when I retruned from my week's travel that their glass company would "re-seat" the windshield. Now I have to tell them to replace the whole unite do to the new crack brought on by the heat element. :mad:

I noticed a crack in my windshield just under the passenger side wiper, right around the heating element, a couple of weeks after I picked it up. I took it back to the dealer and there was much humming and haaing about an impact point. I went over it with a tissue and found no snags or nothing. The service rep told me that the wiper heater is a cool idea, but can (a) cause cracks when used in very cold conditions (what's it good for then?) and/or (b) cause existing cracks to worsten. I guess I'll only use it when the defrogger is on. Anyway, after the local scoobie rep looked at it, they determined that the crack started from the inside and replaced the windshield under warranty.

It is really hard to say what caused the crack. They do use gravel (CDOT calls it sand) for traction on the roadways here, especially in the mountains, so I suppose that a rock could have caused the crack. I doubt it though given is was just below the passenger wiper blade and a rock would have a hard time getting there. Whether it was a rock or a true stress facture, I feel lucky that they replaced it...especially at $600 a pop...ouch!

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

That is the exact spot mine cracked the first time around, but glass is free with my insurance. so when the dealer tolled me it was from a rock i was not going to go through the hassle...i have to say the windscreen is my only real problem with this car i am on #3 in under 8 months

That's a lot of damage in 8 months! How many miles?

This crack is definitely not from a rock chip. I will press for warranty replacement, since my insurance will not cover the damage. Because I use my OB in my business and take it to job-sites, it has to be covered under my "mega" Commercial Liability Policy (5 million) and they exclude the standard windshield policy. If my dealer does not produce replacement under warranty, I am screwed. Hopefully, the windshield noise will also be resolved with the new replacement. (dealer agreed to "re-seat" the windshield, under warranty, as soon as I returned from my road trip). Now, I have to go back and demand a new windshield since it cracked with the wiper-heater before they could even take care of the windshield noise problem.

Looks like I am going to need to find some type of indepenent "windshield only" coverage if I am going to be able to afford to keep the OB. In this "neck of the woods" rock chips and cracks can be expected at least once a year for normal drivers. Since I will put on 35,000+ miles in one year, odds are I will need more replacement this year that will not fall under warranty. :mad:

I love my OB and have no beefs whatsoever about the car other than this damn windshield issue. If I have more problems, I will have to go to something else (vehicle) or find a thicker replacement windshield, or maybe replace it without the heating element this time?

i have 13000mi or so on it......but the second time i defiantly hit a rock about 1/4 the way up in the center on the window; it was the fist cracked window that was identical to the one you described...

A thicker window would be nice but right now all i can get by me is the stocker....and well I for one refuse to loose an fetcher i paid good money for, if it is a problem they had better fix it!!!! but it has yet to happen to me again so i am just keeping cool and an eye on this thread.

Went to the dealer today. Tried to claim it may have been caused by a rock ding. Not the case. In fact, I showed him several other rock-dings on the windshield that had not turned into cracks. It is obvious that the crack starts right from under the molding and passenger side wiper blade in the heating element. Dealer said they would tell me when the Subaru Rep would be there so I can take the OB in for him to look at it.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. My luck will bring a rock chip to the "virgin" crack, before the Rep has a look...

I've had 3 windshields on 3 different make vehicles do the thermal crack...it happens when your windshield is very cold and suddenly you are pumping much warmer air onto it. Yes, it sounds silly, but you do sort of need to "break in" your windshield when defrosting in extreme temps. I've been driving in Alaska for 20 years, and I know the extremes and what they can do.

I should point out that none of the vehicles I've done this on were Subaru and my new LGT hasn't gotten the thermal crack, but it really does happen, and it's not that uncommon.

Warm it up slooooowly, or the expansion from cold to hot glass can be too stressful and cause fractures.

-SM

When it's happened to me, it's been -15 to about -35. Warm the car up, then crank the defrost, and bam...there goes the windshield. Shouldn't happen at 20, though. I'd follow through with having the dealer look into it.

-SM

Something tells me that this issue bears watching. Could just be a first production year issue related to a supply-side problem. Could be a structural support (unlikely) issue with the window frame, mounting process or sealant too.

Time will tell and in the meantime, hope you all get your windows fixed other than out of your own pockets where the crack is not externally initiated (e.g., rock/stock chipped first).

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Last fall I showed my cracked windshield to a friend of mine who works in the car glass industry and he was really surprised by how thin these widnshields are. He said that all manufacturers are going with thinner glass to save on weight, but he thought Subaru was really pushing the envelope on this one.

I am difinitely staying leaning on Subara for this one! It will be my luck that I get a stone-chip on the crack before it is resolved.

Regardless, once I have a replacement, I will never defrost in a hurry again:mad:

• 4 weeks later...

After a month, I finally have a confirmed appointment to meet with the factory rep to look at my windshield. It has been like pulling teeth to get together with the rep and we now have an appointment on May 3rd. That puts it at over a month, just to have someone to tell me if this will be covered under warranty.

I was pulled over by highway patrol two days ago and written up for the cracked windshield.:(

Insurance will cover the windshield, but the point to be made is that this is a warranty issue. If in fact the Rep agrees and does not snub me, I will be curious to see how long it will take to have the repair completed.

wow that patrol man is a dick, if that was the only reason he stopped you and you explained your predicament...would defiantly appeal that or hand the rep the ticket and get reimbursement...that cop must have been pissed at you or something, what did you do? lol

once again good luck! and keep us posted.

Officer was not a dick, Officer was a female. (probably wishes she had a dick):lol:

Ticket is a repair order, no fine, just "get it fixed or else citation". I will jam it in the face of the Rep, as the last thing I need is enforcement harassment because of the faulty windshield. :mad:

Officer was doing 70 on the highway and I passed at 75 with a whole stream of cars. She came up along side afterwards and then pulled me over. I normally cruise that section of highway at 85+, so I was happy it was only "windshield harassment".:p

Archived