LegacyGT.com

Is the Evo garbage?

So the Evo engine is based on a super-boosted tax evasion motor? Woohoo.

Does that make it any less potent of a motor?

Really. Wonder how long that will last. I'm not interested in driving a car that has to be worked on every Saturday afternoon.

Haha, I knew you were going to say that. He's been driving it for years with no problems. Why make the assumption that because a 2 liter motor has a lot of HP going through it, that it's automatically going to blow up? Don't you think anybody's ever done any R&D with this sort of thing over the last 15 years?

I still think its dumb. If the U.S. Legacy were a 2.0, I wouldn't have bought one.

Even if it were making the same or even more HP and torque, like the JDM version? How much sense does it make to discriminate based on half a liter of displacement when the end result is almost identical?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does that make it any less potent of a motor?

Haha, I knew you were going to say that. He's been driving it for years with no problems. Why make the assumption that because a 2 liter motor has a lot of HP going through it, that it's automatically going to blow up? Don't you think anybody's ever done any R&D with this sort of thing over the last 15 years?

Even if it were making the same or even more HP and torque, like the JDM version? How much sense does it make to discriminate based on half a liter of displacement when the end result is almost identical?

Oh man, another argument. Okay...

In reference to question 1, yes, I think it makes it less of a motor. If you took the JDM Legacy over here, and you took a second, U.S. Legacy GT, and eliminated the de-tuning in our U.S. Legacy (eliminated the 3rd cat, replaced smaller IC, bumped back up the missing 2 psi), and filled them both up with 93 octane U.S. pump gasoline (rumour has it Japanese gas is better), which one do you think would win a straight line race?

2nd, that's great news that your friend is driving a reliable 450+ horsepower 4-cylinder. But that doesn't mean that Mitsubishi is currently selling one that is reliable in the Evo. Aren't motors like your friend's typically professional jobs done by individual mechanics who care about the end results, and use the best material availible?

Mitsubishi is trying to keep the cost low while selling high-volume. I still think its a gamble to boost the 2.0 like they are doing.

Not to mention the clutch will go out, and its just a Lancer.

--

I was going to let this thread die a long time ago, but since you guys still want to have at it on the topic, I'll continue to bash the thing.

In the good 'ole days, when a car had a whole lot of power, but little else, it was considered a muscle car, and was much more affordable. Seriously, the markup on the Evo must be ridiculus. And for what? A Lancer that's going to carry a heavy maintenance schedule.

No way I would buy one. A base WRX + all the leftover cash in your pocket applied to engine and suspension mods would make for a much better performing all around machine than the Evo.

And the SIi, although also heavily marked up as well, is the much more reliable choice for the enthusiast buyer.

In reference to question 1, yes, I think it makes it less of a motor. If you took the JDM Legacy over here, and you took a second, U.S. Legacy GT, and eliminated the de-tuning in our U.S. Legacy (eliminated the 3rd cat, replaced smaller IC, bumped back up the missing 2 psi), and filled them both up with 93 octane U.S. pump gasoline (rumour has it Japanese gas is better), which one do you think would win a straight line race?

So now you're talking about changing the way it's tuned in the US but leaving the JDM one factory stock. How is that a good comparison? To run in the US it has to meet US emission standards, i.e. 3rd cat etc. Are you under the impression that the JDM model is topped out, that you can't make it any faster? Yes, our cars in the US are more restricted than JDM cars, and you can thank our government for that. It doesn't mean that the 2 liter Legacy is any less potent than the US one. Either one of them can be tuned for much more HP.

2nd, that's great news that your friend is driving a reliable 450+ horsepower 4-cylinder. But that doesn't mean that Mitsubishi is currently selling one that is reliable in the Evo. Aren't motors like your friend's typically professional jobs done by individual mechanics who care about the end results, and use the best material availible?

No, and that was my point. The SR20DET motor is a factory motor, it's just not sold here in the US. In factory stock form it's strong enough to take that kind of power output on a daily basis for as long as you feel like driving it.

The Evo motor has been around in the US since 1990 I think, in the DSM turbo triplets. People have gotten 400, 500, 600 HP out of them. the ~300 HP the Evo makes doesn't even cause that motor to break a sweat.

Mitsubishi is trying to keep the cost low while selling high-volume. I still think its a gamble to boost the 2.0 like they are doing.

Not to mention the clutch will go out, and its just a Lancer.

Then they've been gambling for almost 15 years already. This is their rally car motor too, it's not like they've never tested it with 300 HP before. I really don't see why you're pensive about it. As far as the clutch, well, the clutch will go out on any car, and especially AWD cars. Yes, it's just a Lancer. And the STi is just an Impreza. And the NSX is just a Civic.

No way I would buy one. A base WRX + all the leftover cash in your pocket applied to engine and suspension mods would make for a much better performing all around machine than the Evo.

And the SIi, although also heavily marked up as well, is the much more reliable choice for the enthusiast buyer.

Why? it's just an Impreza. And aftermarket suspension mods can never take the place of a factory engineered suspension like the Evo's, or the STi's either for that matter.

Archived