LegacyGT.com

Auto Dimming rear view mirror beginning to rattle

whitetiger

So After 48K miles and 3yrs of ownership, I get my first real interior rattle. Somthing in my rear view mirror is making a noise at a certian engine RPM. The mirror still works great, but somthing is loosening up inside the unit. If i hold the mirror, it stops, so its definitly the mirror. It not too anoying yet, but im sure it will get worse over time. Anyone have a similar problem? I should consider myself lucky since i shoould have more rattles with the stiff suspension i have. :lol:

Have you tried tightening the nut that holds the mirror mount to the glass mount. It gets loose sometimes and the mirror starts to vibrate. You can tell because the reflection gets shaky when you are driving.

On my mirror, there is a plastic sleeve that covers the wires from the headliner down to the mirror. It sort of looks like a trim piece for the mirror mount itself.

Every once in a while, this sleeve slips down and rattles against the window at various times, roads, speeds and so on.

As far as I know, it is supposed to be loose so, I just pushed it back upwards a little and, my rattle was solved.

again, it if were simple like a loose trim piece or bolt or clip, i would have fixed it. the rattle is inside the unit itself. If i flick the mirror with my finger, i can hear the rattle.

What do you need us for then, sounds like you've got it pinned down.:cool:

ignore him, he'll go away.

Im not trying to find a solution. Im reporting the proble to see if other people have seen the same issue. Im essentially documenting the problem for public reccord as a service to the community. Isnt that the purpose of this sub-forum?

not sure what the exact purpose is. Well, your rattle is documented, along with the other people who have had the same issue.

I inferred that you were seeking a soultion from your initial post, but seems you just want people to know about it. My bad.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived