LegacyGT.com

Just barely avoided an accident today.

Must say that I am feeling very confident in the handling of my Legacy after today's rush hour excitement. I was heading into an intersection (4 lanes, 2 south/2 north), as I approached, the light changed into an amber from green... I continued as I was to far along to stop but the driver in the on coming lane turned left in front of me. He realized his mistake soon enough to stop in the middle of the intersection of course, but i almost rearranged both our cars. I could never have stopped in time and so I tried to steer around him and the brakes works perfectly, ABS was a dream, and the nose dive of my wagon put just enough weight on the front tires to allow me to steer completely around him almost up onto the side walk but safely avoid him. I swear I have never seen pedestrians jump as high as the businessmen on the sidewalk did, and I never could have made the turn in my old Impreza. The car handled beautifully. I have run the car close to limit to ensure that I could predict its handling just in case but I must admit I was even more impressed than I expected to be. Do not assume that because the ride is soft that the handling will be loose, it is dialed in extremely well for a stock ride. From stressed to a big smile, the people must have thought I was a lunatic. Parousia :lol: :lol: :lol:

The breaks are good too, a Saturn pulled infront of me going about the speed limit of 55 maybe less and i was doing like 80, I hit the breaks and did even come close to him. I realy thought i would hit but I didn't. Glad we aren't hearing another Legacy fender bender story and you must be extatic that you aren't telling one.

One thing about the Scooby the safety of the car is amazing and will outpreform a lot of other cars on the road. Still to this day Im amazed at how much grip this car actaully does have in both the wet and dry. Good to hear a nice story. Adam.

Had a nice drive home from work last night. The weather in New England was bad yesterday, really cold with snow the previous night and all during the day. I was driving home on the highway, doing about 65 in the passing lane, the roads looked dry mostly from the salt. I was just moving around the slightest bend in the road possible, clearly hit some black ice as my car did a quick jerk from side to side, it gripped right back on-line. Was a nice little wake up, but i immediatly looked behind me, unfortunetly the guy behind me wasn't as lucky. I watched him hit the same spot, he yanked too hard to get back in his lane and over-corrected right into the barrier in the median. I saw a couple quick sparks. Didn't look like anything too too bad, no doubt some good body damage / scraping, but nohting serious for the driver at least. I never like to see those thigns happen right behind me. Good thing for the huge 1 1/2 lane breakdown lane they had on the left, otherwise some people behind this guy would not have been having a nice night. Overall though, had to drive a good amount in some crappy weather yesterday and i must say i am very impressed. Certainly you still have to drive with your head on correctly and with caution, but i was happy with the cars performance.... The stock tires are nothing special, but they did ok.

Yesterday I pulled into a neighborhood to help a friend with his computer. Unfortunately I didnt realize they don't salt the streets in this particular neighborhood. I began to approach to stop sign and seeing how the ground was snow I braked especially early; the brakes failed completely and I kept going forward towards a curb at about 10 mph. I had no way of stopping myself but realized I knew a thing or two about how carving in skiing works. After I passed the stop sign I pulled the hand brake and flicked the wheel to the right and lo and behold I did a perfect sideways drift/plow and continued on my way. Being particularly pleased with my ability I noticed the car on the other side of the road stopped and the driver gawked as I navigated the turn in a perfect manner. A word of advice to those of unexperience; AWD will get you started in bad conditions but will not stop you, don't be a fool and think that just because you have AWD that you automatically become master of snow and ice...

Yesterday I pulled into a neighborhood to help a friend with his computer. Unfortunately I didnt realize they don't salt the streets in this particular neighborhood. I began to approach to stop sign and seeing how the ground was snow I braked especially early; the brakes failed completely and I kept going forward towards a curb at about 10 mph. I had no way of stopping myself but realized I knew a thing or two about how carving in skiing works. After I passed the stop sign I pulled the hand brake and flicked the wheel to the right and lo and behold I did a perfect sideways drift/plow and continued on my way. Being particularly pleased with my ability I noticed the car on the other side of the road stopped and the driver gawked as I navigated the turn in a perfect manner. A word of advice to those of unexperience; AWD will get you started in bad conditions but will not stop you, don't be a fool and think that just because you have AWD that you automatically become master of snow and ice...

Wow knowing how to ski saved you a trip to the shop cool.

There is an area in Monroe NY called Mountian Lodge Park and it's on a mountian and they dont do aything here. I was driving a rear wheel drive van for work there and got stuck on one of the many streets there covered with over an inch of ice.

Today I was on 836 here in Miami, riding behind an Audi TT with a huge sticker on the rear window that read: GOT SPEED? and had some Rally web site address...

This made me wanna pass him bad, so I down shift and merge right, accelerating at about 80+ when this woman in a Camry flat out merges right infront me doing about 55. ABS worked great,I was able to decellerate quick and still manuver back to my lane... the car felt stable, I breaked so quick, that I was imediatly more concerned with sitting on the horn than worrying that I was gonna loose control! This got the Audi's attention, then He, I, and a turbo cooper cut through traffic for the next few miles in close formation..... It was nice to feel confedence about the breaking abilitys and the power; furthermore, I felt I could have passed the TT at any time! I like that.

I think that the stablility of the car under max braking power is what is so impressive.

My car doesn't veer left or right, it just slows down very fast, totally under control.

I am glad I bought a Subaru again.

Parousia

Archived