LegacyGT.com

XM radio installed!

Xenonk

You do know you can splice radio antennas with regular wire, right? I did that installing an FM modulator setup in a Lexus LS430 and everything worked great. It's quite easy to add an item with standard Motorola radio plugs to a non-standard system without losing the AM/FM reception.

[quote name='John M']You do know you can splice radio antennas with regular wire, right? I did that installing an FM modulator setup in a Lexus LS430 and everything worked great. It's quite easy to add an item with standard Motorola radio plugs to a non-standard system without losing the AM/FM reception.[/QUOTE] Isn't it usually a good idea to try to maintain the shielding though?

Theoretically, yes. However, in my case it worked fine without it. No noise present in AM (damn talk radio) or FM, or in the new unit's sound quality (Kenwood music keg).

You could also use all shielded cable by buying an antenna extension for a few bucks. That'd give you 10 feet of cable to work with and a male & female motorola end to splice into your setup.

Archived