LegacyGT.com

Speakers

Th3Franz

Just wondering if anyone has figured out the maximum depth for speakers in the front door panels while using thick spacers. [url]http://www.iaperformance.com[/url] has pre-made spacers, and I recently contacted them. They said their spacers work on the new Legacys, but I haven't tried it yet. I am still planning to upgrade to some 6.5" CDT components, but they are 2.75" deep so that's my main concern. I think most of the speaker installs people have done have been 2" or less deep. If anyone has done an install with deep speakers like these, please speak up. :D Also, for those of you who upgraded the front speakers, did you re-use the factory wiring from the head unit? Did you cut the plastic harness off or did you get a special harness to plug in to retain it? If you got another matching harness to plug in, where did you get it from? Thanks.

Hey Th3Franz, I asked the same question and didn't get much of a reply. I am also looking at the 6.5" CDT CL-61a from theZeb - a great deal for $150. I have also heard that Diamond Audio speakers have excellent sound quality, but a pair of 6.5" components run about $320 (and the diamond audio crossover, while nice looking, is huge and may present an installation challenge). I'm guessing the spacer is going to be rather thick, maybe 3/4 to 1-inch. Hopefully there is enough clearance between the speaker and the door cover for a spacer to fit. I may upgrade the speakers next summer if I get tired of the stock paper cones.

The stock speaker cover isn't really a cover - it's integrated into interior door molding and not separately detachable. If you have a speaker that requires a lot of mounting depth, a thick spacer is required so the speaker does not hit the window. The problem with thick spacers is that the speaker might bump into the inside of the door molding.

A lot of us are hoping that there is enough space between the speaker location and the door molding for a thick spacer. If not, the door molding will have to be cut around the speaker location to allow room for the speaker and an aftermarket speaker grill. Right now we are still waiting for a reply from someone who has installed speakers that required spacers.

Archived