LegacyGT.com

Need help polishing

i wish my almost 70K paint looked that good...

and i do the whole clay/seal/etc deal... i think i've taken very good care of a black paint job but there are still imperfections that are... at this point, meh to me. I drive too much to worry about every little scratch.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Yeah, stewartg, you're really just asking for too much. You just can't get them all. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Is it asking too much to expect a car not to have unrepairable damage on it when it's purchased? It's not like the car sat on the lot getting power sprayed and dried with the same chamios used on 100 cars or sat in the showroom for an extended period of time getting qd'd with dirty harsh towels and scratched up from on lookers. The car came straight from SOA to the Port of Portland, to my Dealer, to my home with only one wash in between.

I know the car's appearance will diminish over the years and I will start tracking it next spring, so I won't always expect it to be perfect, but it is my garage queen right now, I would like it too look perfect just once.

Anyhow, I think I will just put the sealant on now and try again next spring with some optimum polish. No one else has to know the scratches are still there. It's not like anyone else can see them and I am not entering any car shows.

stewartg,

Nothing wrong with shooting for that perfect finish, especially on a garaged car.

Try a more aggressive pad/polish/compound combo but realize that you will get micro-marring and will need a good polish to finish off.

OR

Since you are planning on tracking it soon, why not just get a good glaze and wax combination? The glaze and wax won't fill in the scratch, but may take enough of the edge off of it to reduce its overall visibility...maybe enough that even you won't notice. I like 2 or 3 coats of ClearKote's Red Moose Machine Glaze via PC, and a couple of layers of a good paste wax.

In contrast, my car was sitting for two years on a dealer's lot, and it took me well over two days worth of polishing to get the finish to 85%. Swirls, LOOOONG brush marks and etching like you wouldn't believe.

Archived