LegacyGT.com

Sounds like bad struts - Sway bar links?

nvr-enuf

Members,

I am in need of some advice. My wifes 2002 subaru outback sedan makes a dead, clunking sound when driving over bumps. It sounds like a bad shock / strut but I also had this sound on a Ford and the cause was due to sway bar bushings.

The car has 110K on it, could it be a bad strut or do the sway bar links wear out. I had it on the lift tonight and looked at the links, I could not visually see any issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

I had a similar issue on my daughter's CR-V. 150k miles...undercar thumping noises while driving over small bumps in the road. Tightened all the suspension bolts, and changed the worn out sway bar bushings, still heard the clunks.

Finally looked at the endlinks...they looked OK and didn't seem to be worn out, but I measured them and they happened to be the same size/type as my LGT. I did a quick swap, and Viola! No more noises!

The best part was, I got to get new Kartboy endlinks for my car!

I had the car on the lift last night to address the front brakes, new rotors, pads and flush brake fluid, man was that dirty / maple color as a result of being old. While on the lift, I looked at the front sway bar bushings and they did not look worn at all. Unfortunately I did not try tightening the bushings. I will check that next.

Regarding the brakes - they stop the car fine but the first 1" of travel really doesn't do much stopping at all. Is this normal? I drove an infinity I35 and just touching the pads the car stands on it's nose. The brakes on the subaru just doesn't seem touchy at all. I do not think it is air in the system. We bled the system really good and never opened a bleeder while changing the pads. This was one of the first times that the ABS light did not come on as a result of changing pads. I went with the ceramic pads, not the cheapies.

Any responses to the brake question would be appreciated.

Scott

Archived