LegacyGT.com

Since AUX Connectors have been done to death: FM Modulators?

doom1701

Thanks to some very helpful walkthroughs, I took out the stereo (single disk CD deck) in our 2.5i last night to get a handle on what I was working with. Although Centerpunch's mod looks very tempting, I'm just not up to that level of work. Instead, I'm thinking about picking up an FM Modulator--not a transmitter, but a modulator hard wired into the antenna cable. Tried a transmitter, and while the audio quality was fine (I'm not a serious audiophile), the fact that I had to keep changing it's frequency because of the large number of stations around here got too annoying. Anyone have a hard wired modulator that they would recommend? Also, I've read that the antenna connector coming out of the stereo is non standard; what should I expect for hooking it up?

[quote name='doom1701']Thanks to some very helpful walkthroughs, I took out the stereo (single disk CD deck) in our 2.5i last night to get a handle on what I was working with. Although Centerpunch's mod looks very tempting, I'm just not up to that level of work. Instead, I'm thinking about picking up an FM Modulator--not a transmitter, but a modulator hard wired into the antenna cable. Tried a transmitter, and while the audio quality was fine (I'm not a serious audiophile), the fact that I had to keep changing it's frequency because of the large number of stations around here got too annoying. Anyone have a hard wired modulator that they would recommend? Also, I've read that the antenna connector coming out of the stereo is non standard; what should I expect for hooking it up?[/QUOTE] My understanding is that you would need to solder a standard connector to replace the factory one. At least thats what I think I saw in another thread to get an FM modulator to work..

Looks like I was searching on the wrong terms, as the antenna issue has been discussed. I'm digging around those threads right now--unfortunately, the last mention of a possible adapter seems to be from mid October.

I think they were referring to some type of Nissan adapter or something like that they had seen online. I don't know which thread it was, however I seem to recall that they posted a follow up saying that it would not work. I have an FM Transmitter in my car that is so far the best thing I have been able to find. Here in Toronto, no one uses 87.7 as their freq. so I have had decent success with that.

There was originally some talk of a Volvo adapter that didn't actually work. But someone found the OEM for the Subaru plug, and there was discussion of trying to get the parts to build adapters. If anyone has created one, I would most definately be interested in purchasing one.

Archived