LegacyGT.com

Favorite Amps?

Tide

[quote name='brady_bunch']What's up with the plexiglass "windows" some folks put in their enclosures? What's that all about?[/quote] pure bling a good sub enclosure would be ideally made of 1" MDF and constructed to have a cubic volume equal to what the driver manufacturer specifies. The plexi that is used in 99.9% of those boxes is 1/4" and flexes like mad, resulting in resonance, and did I mention its bling?

[quote name='easton']pure bling a good sub enclosure would be ideally made of 1" MDF and constructed to have a cubic volume equal to what the driver manufacturer specifies. The plexi that is used in 99.9% of those boxes is 1/4" and flexes like mad, resulting in resonance, and did I mention its bling?[/quote] I'm guessing it is bling, then. :) I kinda figured but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some kind of engineering discovery in the past couple of years. hehehe I purchased a finishing air nailer a few years ago to put up crown molding. Do you guys use nails or screws to build your boxes? I have used screws and caulk in the past. Funny story: the first box I ever built was designed for a pair of 15s which I, at the time, did not have (not enough money but I was planning ahead :roll: ) I had a pair of 8" Kickers so, for grins, I cut the face holes small enough to fit the 8s, mounted them, and installed the face but didn't seal it. It was the funniest dang thing I have ever seen... this huge freakin box with a tiny pair of 8s being hammered to produce hardly any sound. :lol:

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='easton']pure bling a good sub enclosure would be ideally made of 1" MDF and constructed to have a cubic volume equal to what the driver manufacturer specifies. The plexi that is used in 99.9% of those boxes is 1/4" and flexes like mad, resulting in resonance, and did I mention its bling?[/quote] I'm guessing it is bling, then. :) I kinda figured but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some kind of engineering discovery in the past couple of years. hehehe I purchased a finishing air nailer a few years ago to put up crown molding. Do you guys use nails or screws to build your boxes? I have used screws and caulk in the past. Funny story: the first box I ever built was designed for a pair of 15s which I, at the time, did not have (not enough money but I was planning ahead :roll: ) I had a pair of 8" Kickers so, for grins, I cut the face holes small enough to fit the 8s, mounted them, and installed the face but didn't seal it. It was the funniest dang thing I have ever seen... this huge freakin box with a tiny pair of 8s being hammered to produce hardly any sound. :lol:[/quote] I use screws since I think they'd hold a bit better than nails. I also use plenty of glue and a good amount of internal bracing. This is my old system, if you want to take a look at what I had in my last car. I'll be building a new box though, with better tuning. The dual ports did not impress me much. [url]http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/222544/2[/url] You can't see a single screw from the outside of the box, and I used a unique paint. It peaked at 135 dB on a Termlab, which could equate to 140 dB Outlaw, about. With better tuning, I could probably get up to 137 dB on a Termlab pretty easily.

[quote name='brady_bunch']I'm not looking for a competition level setup... just something to give it more bass than stock. I have a very broad taste in music and like to hear all of it. :D[/quote] I have heard the Infinity Basslink and it sounds pretty good for the price and the fact it does not take up much space at all is a plus. :D

Archived