LegacyGT.com

What do you make of this?

rs6er

I bought my 07 SpecB from a dealer who buys a lot of SOA executive cars with low mileage. Mine had been previously registerd to SOA and had 5700 miles. One problem I'd been having the car was that the radio wouldn't hold presets. I took the car to a dealer who was closer to me than the dealer I bought the car from about this issue. The picture shows what the problem was. The radio harness had all kinds of hacked wiring. The dealer (Prestige Imports in Pleasantville, NY) was nice enough to not charge me. He spent a lot of time on it, which Subaru wouldn't reimburse since the factory wiring had been butchered.

I am not out any money, but I feel this should be brought to somebody's attention. Who do you think I should contact? The salesman at the original dealership? The service manager there? SOA customer service?

Harness.jpg.3cabd8f1c91b9313172324df21160fa3.jpg

Guest heightsgtltd

SOA, and I would mention how happy you are with the service from prestige.

We are all quick to slam dealers to SOA, but it's also good to give credit when it's due :)

SOA, and I would mention how happy you are with the service from prestige.

We are all quick to slam dealers to SOA, but it's also good to give credit when it's due :)

That's why I listed Prestige and not the oft-maligned selling dealer who has also owed me my refund from an extended warranty I purchased at the sale. I cancelled within 30 days, but that was 2 months ago.

It looks like a forward and reverse wiring harness to me... I wonder if this guy had a stereo installed in a different location? Glove box maybe?

It still wouldn't explain why they had to hack up the stock harness though.. Its good to hear you found a dealer to help you out.

Even the Subaru rep couldn't stand the stereo.:lol:

I would have the dealer check the door speaker wiring. It's quite possible that was hacked too.

Now that you mention it, the drivers door speaker vibrates or buzzes some on heavy bass tunes.

It looks like a forward and reverse wiring harness to me... I wonder if this guy had a stereo installed in a different location? Glove box maybe?

It still wouldn't explain why they had to hack up the stock harness though.. Its good to hear you found a dealer to help you out.

Meanwhile, I just discovered that the presets are still not holding the stations, so I am back to square 1.

That harness with all the black wires is aftermarket. That type of harness is generally used to bypass something like a factory amp. Your dealer probably just yanked it out and plugged the stock stuff back the way it should be. IB the dealer made you believe it was more difficult than it was.

The yellow wire tapped into that harness is for constant +12V, the red is for switched +12V, the blue with white stripe is an amp turn-on wire, and the black is ground. This is probably an aftermarket harness that simply gives you the wires you need to either add an amp or navigation or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it being a "hack job". The radio not holding presets is inside the radio, not a wiring thing. Whatever was in there was obviously removed by SOA (apparently safely) and your presets probably have nothing to do with it.

Thanks Kaganmateer. That's the kind of info I was looking for. When I told the original dealer that the radio wasn't holding presets, he told me to bring it in and they would replace the radio, so your post makes sense. I just took it to the other dealer because he was closer. That's when I heard about the hacked harness.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived