LegacyGT.com

wagon turboback 3" downpipe/exhaust options

Beanboy

Currently have a shorty DP, everything else stock exhaust-wise.

20G turbo is in the works.

It appears I'll be losing 15-20AWHP depending on what aftermarket option is chosen versus what I have now. I first thought replacing the shorty DP and going for a full 3" catted exhaust back to aftermarket y-pipes and cans would be worth it and reasonably cost-effective.

Then I started reading about having to hack off tapered 2.5" sections/donut flanges of some of the more popular 3" downpipes to have them work with 3" flanged midpipes and for the full 3" downpipes, some folks having fitment or harmless CELs being thrown at highway speed. And then there's the issue with most sedan mufflers being too short for the wagon, as well as droning on the highway thanks to the wagon body style.

So wagon owners with aftermarket turbos, how are you handling your catted exhaust issues that keeps the wife happy? Stock mufflers with aftermarket everything else seems to be a popular option...

Right now I am running the Crucial shorty DP and catted mid-pipe. I will be adding the COBB Y-pipe w/ a resonator welded in, going to lobotomized stock cans w/ custom tips. At some point down the line I will switch to a full 3inch DP, but it is not a bid deal yet...
:spin:

I am battling the same issue. Other than a header crosspipe, flow shorty, and lack of resonator, my exhaust is stock. It seems that the stock cat affects the flow, but so does the Y-pipe and the stock cans.

I am going with an FP Green setup and will need to get the exhaust figured out soon. I planed on drilling through the stock muffler baffles to improve flow, a high flow cat/mid pipe, and a custom y-pipe made by a local shop.

But if a simpler and/or more cost effective way exists, I am all ears to it.

Archived